Re: [PanoToolsNG] Copyright question

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      Quoting Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...>:

      > There are plenty of resources on the Web on this issue - derivative rights
      > have been testing a lot in the past decade or two. Here's a decent
      > breakdown of these issues:
      >
      > http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/derivative-work.html

      eh ?
      A translation of a work into a new medium, such as a written work into an
      audio book

      so I can take any novel/play and make a film from it ?

      regards

      mick

    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        On Tue, January 6, 2009 6:55 am, crane@... wrote:
        > Quoting Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...>:
        >
        >> There are plenty of resources on the Web on this issue - derivative
        >> rights
        >> have been testing a lot in the past decade or two. Here's a decent
        >> breakdown of these issues:
        >>
        >> http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/derivative-work.html
        >

        > eh ?
        > A translation of a work into a new medium, such as a written work into an
        > audio book
        >
        > so I can take any novel/play and make a film from it ?

        If it's public domain, sure - and making a film or play from a public
        domain novel *would* create new derivative rights since there's
        considerable creative/adaptation involved in that process - this happens
        all the time (you don't think the producers of the awful Beowulf film a
        few years ago had to pay royalties to the author?). However, converting a
        public domain novel to an e-text - which is just a slavish/mechanical
        conversion - would not provide new derivative rights... even if you
        corrected some spelling errors from the original (which is in the abstract
        comparable to cleaning up dust, seams, etc, in an original photo).
      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
          Quoting Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...>:

          > considerable creative/adaptation involved in that process - this happens
          > all the time (you don't think the producers of the awful Beowulf film a
          > few years ago had to pay royalties to the author?).

          There was a Beowulf novel from the viewpoint of the monster I was trying to
          push as a film about 30 years ago. hope it's not that !!

          mick