Opera is annoying was: Re: "From a tower, without the tower"

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
      Phooooey!!!!

      Opera is so annoying. Even Chrome now has more users than Opera. Yeah it's a
      cool browser and all, why can't they use a proper html renderer? After
      fixing a site for the total ABOMINATION that is IE6, we don't have the
      energy to fix it for Opera. There are a million better things to do. Why
      can't it "just work" like it does in Safari and Firefox? But ok, 1% of our
      users today is a lot more than it used to be. You have me convinced, we'll
      work on it....

      :-PPPPPP

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      Re: "From a tower, without the tower"
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/25718;_ylc=X3oDMTJzZDE3NnBxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyNTcxOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjMxMjM1ODU3>
      Posted
      by: "Bjørn K Nilssen" bk@...
      <bk@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20%22From%20a%20tower%2C%20without%20the%20tower%22>
      bknilssen
      <http://profiles.yahoo.com/bknilssen> Tue Jan 6, 2009 12:33 am (PST) On 6
      Jan 2009 at 0:38, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

      > another one of those fun "from the top of the building, without the
      > building" panos... chicago in winter (2007) just finished....
      > http://360cities.net/image/hancock-center-building-chicago-skyline
      >
      > Jeffrey

      Nice work - in Firefox.
      Unfortunately the entire 360cities seems to look not good in Opera (my
      preferred
      browser), at least on my PC..
      The main/top pano ends up as a strange looking banner/header band at the
      top, slightly
      lower than the map, which is cut off a little at the top..
      Ir doesn't look good, I'm afraid.

    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        On 6 Jan 2009 at 11:13, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

        > Phooooey!!!!
        >
        > Opera is so annoying. Even Chrome now has more users than Opera. Yeah it's a
        > cool browser and all, why can't they use a proper html renderer? After
        > fixing a site for the total ABOMINATION that is IE6, we don't have the
        > energy to fix it for Opera. There are a million better things to do. Why
        > can't it "just work" like it does in Safari and Firefox? But ok, 1% of our
        > users today is a lot more than it used to be. You have me convinced, we'll
        > work on it....

        Sorry about that ;)
        I'm feeling a bit guilty as I come from the same country as Opera ;)...
        I have also been fighting Opera lately, with Joomla and JQuery among others.
        I noticed that you're using JQuery too. One thing that solved a lot of my problems was to
        remove the JQuery.noconflict() command. Then suddenly a lot of things worked as expected
        in Opera too, strangely enough.
        Good luck!

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...> wrote:

          > Phooooey!!!!
          >
          > Opera is so annoying. Even Chrome now has more users than Opera. Yeah it's a
          > cool browser and all, why can't they use a proper html renderer? After
          > fixing a site for the total ABOMINATION that is IE6, we don't have the
          > energy to fix it for Opera. There are a million better things to do. Why
          > can't it "just work" like it does in Safari and Firefox? But ok, 1% of our
          > users today is a lot more than it used to be. You have me convinced, we'll
          > work on it....

          I have not tried Opera for years as the Mac version was so extremely slow.

          So I just downloaded it on my G5 and got a real surprise.
          This is the best browser I have tried until now,
          It uses much less memory than Safari and also the CPU usage for flash is 50% lower.

          It really has a lot of very nice options, I love the fullscreen option which is better than any
          other browser. Rendering normal webpages is extremelly fast, and I have full control on
          my cache in the pref. which no other browsers have.
          All my pages work perfect without using special workarounds as you have to do both with
          IE and Firefox.

          The big surprise is that Flash now works opposite as Firefox and Safari.
          Framerate in a fullsize browser window is now 10 but only 6 in Flash fullscreen and with
          only 85-100% CPU
          In Safari and Firefox I have 130-150% CPU and I can only get FPS 5 in browser and 8-9 in
          fullscreen.

          Besides the size problem this is the first time I can use 360 cities new, in my opinion very
          ugly and confusing flash interface. Safari and Firefox are just freezing. There is to much
          inside the flash content with all hotspots and the Google map.
          In Safari and Firefox it takes often 1 minute before I see anything at all of the panorama.
          If it even shows up. Sometimes I just see a blue empty space.

          I have not checked the CSS but the problem with 360 cities might be this:
          "Nested box bug - The height of an element is computed incorrectly if set as a percentage
          and it's container has any vertical border/padding."

          Hans
        • fierodeval
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
            I think Opera is one of the best browsers now. The problem is that
            very few people uses Opera. Anyway, Opera has a stable amount of fans,
            at least in East Europe (russian people loves Opera :)

            I found very small differences in my works with HTML+CSS+Javascript
            between the code for Firefox and for Opera. Maybe you can do it "Opera
            ready" with some small fix.

            regards!

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Phooooey!!!!
            > >
            > > Opera is so annoying. Even Chrome now has more users than Opera.
            Yeah it's a
            > > cool browser and all, why can't they use a proper html renderer? After
            > > fixing a site for the total ABOMINATION that is IE6, we don't have the
            > > energy to fix it for Opera. There are a million better things to
            do. Why
            > > can't it "just work" like it does in Safari and Firefox? But ok,
            1% of our
            > > users today is a lot more than it used to be. You have me
            convinced, we'll
            > > work on it....
            >
            > I have not tried Opera for years as the Mac version was so extremely
            slow.

            > So I just downloaded it on my G5 and got a real surprise.
            > This is the best browser I have tried until now,
            > It uses much less memory than Safari and also the CPU usage for
            flash is 50% lower.

            > It really has a lot of very nice options, I love the fullscreen
            option which is better than any
            > other browser. Rendering normal webpages is extremelly fast, and I
            have full control on
            > my cache in the pref. which no other browsers have.
            > All my pages work perfect without using special workarounds as you
            have to do both with
            > IE and Firefox.
            >
            > The big surprise is that Flash now works opposite as Firefox and Safari.
            > Framerate in a fullsize browser window is now 10 but only 6 in Flash
            fullscreen and with
            > only 85-100% CPU
            > In Safari and Firefox I have 130-150% CPU and I can only get FPS 5
            in browser and 8-9 in
            > fullscreen.
            >
            > Besides the size problem this is the first time I can use 360 cities
            new, in my opinion very
            > ugly and confusing flash interface. Safari and Firefox are just
            freezing. There is to much
            > inside the flash content with all hotspots and the Google map.
            > In Safari and Firefox it takes often 1 minute before I see anything
            at all of the panorama.
            > If it even shows up. Sometimes I just see a blue empty space.
            >
            > I have not checked the CSS but the problem with 360 cities might be
            this:
            > "Nested box bug - The height of an element is computed incorrectly
            if set as a percentage
            > and it's container has any vertical border/padding."
            >
            > Hans

          • aiwetir
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
              if you write you page to web standards, opera renders just fine,
              firefox 3 has more issues than opera.
            • Bjørn K Nilssen
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
                On 6 Jan 2009 at 12:33, aiwetir wrote:

                > if you write you page to web standards, opera renders just fine,
                > firefox 3 has more issues than opera.

                I'm totally addicted to the mouse gestures in Opera, which makes life much easier and
                browsing much faster.
                There is apparently some places where Opera uses
                window.innerheight and window.innerwidth where others may use
                just window.height and .width which may cause some problems in scripts?

              • Roger D. Williams
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
                  On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 02:34:39 +0900, fierodeval <fierodeval@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I think Opera is one of the best browsers now. The problem is that
                  > very few people uses Opera. Anyway, Opera has a stable amount of fans,
                  > at least in East Europe (russian people loves Opera :)

                  I agree with you, and was sad to see such an out-of-hand condemnation
                  of Opera. Although the browser itself is by far my favourite, I would
                  stay with it just for the unique and uniquely convenient mail client,
                  which now offers synchronization across multiple computers.

                  I guess I feel rather like MAC users who are sometimes condemned as a
                  minority with no rights to be treated as well as the industry leader.
                  It is not a pleasant feeling.

                  Roger W.

                  --
                  Work: www.adex-japan.com
                • Juergen Schrader
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
                    Another satisfied Opera user here. :)

                    I am using it for years now and only had very few issues.
                    One was an error inside the admin panel of Joomla which randomly also
                    happened to occur in other browser, one is a layout issue on
                    worldpanoramastock.com and the biggest one is with 360cities.net
                    which appears to be unusable with Opera. Frontend and backend either.

                    Looking at the features of Opera 10 I already know it will stay as my
                    standard browser in the near future. :)

                    For those people using fancy features or improper code I have Firefox
                    and IE at hand to see which works better on their sites ;)

                    Cheers
                    Juergen

                    wrote:

                    > Phooooey!!!!
                    >
                    > Opera is so annoying. Even Chrome now has more users than Opera.
                    Yeah it's a
                    > cool browser and all, why can't they use a proper html renderer?
                    After
                    > fixing a site for the total ABOMINATION that is IE6, we don't have
                    the
                    > energy to fix it for Opera. There are a million better things to
                    do. Why
                    > can't it "just work" like it does in Safari and Firefox? But ok, 1%
                    of our
                    > users today is a lot more than it used to be. You have me
                    convinced, we'll
                    > work on it....
                    >
                    > :-PPPPPP
                    >

                    > Jeffrey Martin
                    > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
                    > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
                    >

                    > Re: "From a tower, without the tower"
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/
                    message/25718;_ylc=X3oDMTJzZDE3NnBxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyNTcxOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjMxMjM1ODU3>
                    > Posted
                    > by: "Bjørn K Nilssen" bk@...
                    > <bk@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20%22From%20a%20tower%2C%20without%20the
                    %20tower%22>
                    > bknilssen
                    > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/bknilssen> Tue Jan 6, 2009 12:33 am
                    (PST) On 6
                    > Jan 2009 at 0:38, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                    >
                    > > another one of those fun "from the top of the building, without
                    the
                    > > building" panos... chicago in winter (2007) just finished....
                    > > http://360cities.net/image/hancock-center-building-chicago-skyline
                    > >
                    > > Jeffrey
                    >
                    > Nice work - in Firefox.
                    > Unfortunately the entire 360cities seems to look not good in Opera
                    (my
                    > preferred
                    > browser), at least on my PC..
                    > The main/top pano ends up as a strange looking banner/header band
                    at the
                    > top, slightly
                    > lower than the map, which is cut off a little at the top..
                    > Ir doesn't look good, I'm afraid.

                  • Andrey Ilyin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                      Opera is the best!

                      Beseies the Opera I have a lot of browsers installed, including FF,
                      IE, Chrome and Safafi. Use them to browse sites not meeting the
                      standards ;)
                    • Jeffrey Martin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                        Ok,

                        My colleague Jamie has addressed the Opera issues. these problems are fixed
                        now (apart from one little one, the flickering shadow below the header on
                        the image page) - they were as follows:

                        JQuery miscalculates the height of an element using the standard .height()
                        call, so I use the logic:
                        if( jQuery.browser.opera && jQuery.browser.version >= 9.50 )
                        {
                        var winHeight = window.innerHeight;
                        }else{
                        var winHeight = $window.height();
                        }

                        When setting the id of the body tag in javascript using jquery, you must use
                        double quotes, e.g.
                        $('body').attr("id","image");
                        I was using single quotes ...

                        I also removed the noConflict() call on the home pages (image/home/business
                        etc) as we are not using prototype here - so any opera related issues
                        originating from this (apparently there are many) should also now be
                        resolved.

                        Jamie says:
                        "Hope this makes our Opera viewers happy, and I agree, Opera has come a long
                        way in recent years, I am warming to it."

                        If any other issues appear or remain unresolved, please do send me an email
                        off-list. Opera is now on our list of happily supported browsers. Just some
                        small quirks. IE remains on my voodoo death-list of rage, however ;-))))

                        On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...> wrote:

                        > Opera - Thanks for everyone's comments.We'll get the site running smoothly
                        > in opera. Give us a few days please :) I agree, my complaints were made
                        > rather out of ignorance, I realize that the user base of Opera might be
                        > small but should not be dismissed, I stand corrected. I will try Opera
                        > (again) myself, and be sure that our site works just fine on it. Thanks
                        > Bjorn for starting this conversation, and bringing me around.
                        >

                        > Hans, thanks for your critique ;-)
                        >
                        > I haven't had any experience with FF or Safari freezing, or taking anything
                        > but a few seconds to load any page or any pano. We have tested it thoroughly
                        > across browsers and platforms (opera excluded, hahaha). So I can't really
                        > take your comment seriously unless you can give me more information, if you
                        > can tell me any more (off list) I'd really appreciate it.
                        >
                        > As for the layout - sorry but the VR world has to move past the "single
                        > fullscreen image with no options" of 5 years ago. (and if you still want
                        > that, we have a button for that: controls on/off) While this new pano
                        > layout might not be perfect, yours is the first really negative review of
                        > our new pano layout - most people I've shown found it really exciting in
                        > fact.
                        >
                        > Again, if you have any SUGGESTIONS on how we can improve it, I'm all ears
                        > ;-) Perhaps hotspots should be turned off by default, for example? There are
                        > other minor changes that I've noted, that I would like to make, I have them
                        > on a list, but we are very busy and can't do everything at once ;)) The
                        > google map? we didn't have it for a while, and it's one thing I missed. the
                        > image is great to see, but knowing WHERE it is, well, that's great to have.
                        > Again, if you don't want to see it, turn it off :)
                        >
                        > thanks everybody,
                        > Jeffrey

                      • Keith Martin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                          Sometime around 7/1/09 (at 12:35 +0100) Jeffrey Martin said:

                          >IE remains on my voodoo death-list of rage, however ;-))))

                          Worst. Browser. Ever.

                          :-)