Re: stitching multi-viewpoint panoramas

  • Andrew Nemeth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
      On 04/01/2009, at 8:54 PM, "Jeffrey Martin" wrote:

      > http://www.vrlog.net/2009/01/how-to-photograph-and-stitch-very-long-
      > scenes/
      >
      > nice work. Rick Szeliski is involved of course ;))

      Nice work indeed. It's a 2006 article though...

      Back in late 2006 I cooked up one of these linear-pano babies of a
      250m stretch of shops about to be demolished, so I have a bit of
      experience about making these things. @ 80x shots and @ 100 hours in
      photoshop.

      http://4020.net/bmvr/#lawsonshops

      Some issues I faced which I think automated systems are going to have
      a hard time solving:

      o Lots of parked cars, not just one or two. What happens when a
      parked car in shot #5 pulls out in #8?

      o How do you align overhead power-lines (which criss-cross all over
      the place) or road markings or shadows, ie. things not in the
      "dominant plane". What about parallax errors with clouds visible
      behind and through power lines?...

      o How do you get the sky to be consistently blue, and not filled with
      occasional blue blobs (like the single blue-sky Agawala et. al.
      example)?

      o How will it cope with dodging cars and trucks on an incredibly busy
      highway... :?Q

      So... nice effort from Aseem Agarwala (et al.), but I think these
      panoramas will continue being rare because they take such an
      incredibly huge amount of work in photoshop to pull off believably.

      That said, Agawala (et al.)'s supermarket aisle sample is pretty
      cool... now if only they learned how to do a colour balance :?)

      Regards,

      Andrew N.
      <http://nemeng.com>
      Blue Mountains Australia
    • robert_harshman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
        Agawala (et al.)'s supermarket aisle sample is pretty
        > cool... now if only they learned how to do a colour balance :?)
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > Andrew N.

        The supermarket aisle example is quite cool but it does have a lot of
        errors too if you look closely. But even with those errors, it would
        be wonderful if their approach was commercialized as it would probably
        allow those 100's of hours to turn into 10's of hours.

        Regards,

        Robert