Re: [PanoToolsNG] Image editing problem/question...

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2009
      My site is similarly un-updated. It's something I mean to do
      everyday :-)

      Be wary of "Web Designers" Try and find someone you can trust.
      Probably a high school student -- do you have high schools?

      How does your school system work? We have grammar schools for
      grades 1-6, middle schools for grades 7-8, and high schools for
      grades 9-12. I think that's what they are still called. That's
      the way it was for me anyway.

    • Andrew Crawford
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
        Ken Warner wrote:
        > Be wary of "Web Designers" Try and find someone you can trust.
        > Probably a high school student -- do you have high schools?

        There are a lot of a people offering their services as "web designers"
        who lack the skills necessary to develop good web sites. In fact, in my
        experience, that would be most of them. Most business people think they
        know about developing web sites but, they just don't. So, the web is
        full of crappy sites that don't meet the business goals of the companies
        they represent. Worse, no one involved even knows why, if they are
        aware of it at all.

        However, I can't say I've met a lot of high school students with the
        skills to do a professional job of it, either.

        A broad array of skills are needed to build a good site, including
        graphic design skills, information organization ("information
        architecture") skills, marketing savvy, and technical skills. Someone
        with the appropriate skills will have heard of QTVR and, will have some
        idea of what to do with it.

        Professional-grade help may not be needed to resolve this specific issue
        but, please don't disparage an entire profession based on your
        experience with the charlatans.

        Andrew Crawford
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
          Did you even read what you just wrote? You just disparaged
          "...that would be most of them."

          Amazing how it's always someone else that is at fault...

          Andrew Crawford wrote:
          > Ken Warner wrote:
          >
          >>Be wary of "Web Designers" Try and find someone you can trust.
          >>Probably a high school student -- do you have high schools?
          >

          > There are a lot of a people offering their services as "web designers"
          > who lack the skills necessary to develop good web sites. In fact, in my
          > experience, that would be most of them. Most business people think they
          > know about developing web sites but, they just don't. So, the web is
          > full of crappy sites that don't meet the business goals of the companies
          > they represent. Worse, no one involved even knows why, if they are
          > aware of it at all.
          >
          > However, I can't say I've met a lot of high school students with the
          > skills to do a professional job of it, either.
          >
          > A broad array of skills are needed to build a good site, including
          > graphic design skills, information organization ("information
          > architecture") skills, marketing savvy, and technical skills. Someone
          > with the appropriate skills will have heard of QTVR and, will have some
          > idea of what to do with it.
          >
          > Professional-grade help may not be needed to resolve this specific issue
          > but, please don't disparage an entire profession based on your
          > experience with the charlatans.
          >
          > Andrew Crawford

        • Andrew Crawford
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
            Ken Warner wrote:
            > Did you even read what you just wrote? You just disparaged
            > "...that would be most of them."
            >
            > Amazing how it's always someone else that is at fault...

            Yeah ... I don't think you really got what I was trying to say. Maybe
            that's my fault for not taking more time to word it better. I wasn't
            trying to start an argument and, I don't have time for a prolonged
            discussion about this.

            I took offense to what you said and, felt I should say something. In
            retrospect, I should have just let it go.

            This is now entirely off-topic. So, I won't reply to anything else
            about this on-list.

            Cheers,

            Andrew Crawford
          • Kathy Wheeler
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
              > Andrew Crawford wrote:
              >> There are a lot of a people offering their services as "web
              >> designers"
              >> who lack the skills necessary to develop good web sites. In fact,
              >> in my
              >> experience, that would be most of them.

              Unfortunately Andrew is right. Most people "doing" web sites have no
              real idea what they are doing. It's similar to the phenomena we would
              all recognize that everyone with a digital camera is now a
              "photographer". There is more to both skill sets than meets the
              casual eye. And certainly more than the average high school student
              can master in a few brief years with a copy of Dreamweaver.

              My HTML, XHTML, CSS and JQuery lists are full of questions from
              people of various skill levels trying to work around this browser bug
              or that. Trying to optimise for most popular browsers despite the
              difficulties and varying levels of standards support. And with each
              browser release there are more tricks to learn. None of this is
              "taught" at any high school I know of, and few (if any) higher
              educational facilities. It's all bleeding-edge stuff were stumbling
              into in real-time.

              This does effect those of us trying to present out panos on the web.
              The Opera thread is just another recent case of issues with cross-
              browser site development. I suspect there isn't one answer that will
              fit every pano site. Some people roll-their-own, others use CMS of
              one sort or another, heck, quite a few use Flickr or Deviant Art or
              similar community sites to showcase their work. I guess the benefits
              of that type of site would be that cross-browser issues are "somebody-
              else's-problem". But for the rest of us, especially those who
              sincerely wish ie6 would just die! die! die!, we just have to keep
              fighting the browser issues ... but honestly, it's not a job for an
              amateur. Most so-called "web designers", who wouldn't recognize let
              alone understand mark-up if they ever saw it, are not professionals.

              KathyW.
            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
                On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...>wrote:

                > > Andrew Crawford wrote:
                > >> There are a lot of a people offering their services as "web
                > >> designers"
                > >> who lack the skills necessary to develop good web sites. In fact,
                > >> in my
                > >> experience, that would be most of them.

                I completely AGREE with Andrew and Kathy of course.

                best
                AYRTON

                > Unfortunately Andrew is right. Most people "doing" web sites have no
                > real idea what they are doing. It's similar to the phenomena we would
                > all recognize that everyone with a digital camera is now a
                > "photographer". There is more to both skill sets than meets the
                > casual eye. And certainly more than the average high school student
                > can master in a few brief years with a copy of Dreamweaver.
                >
                > My HTML, XHTML, CSS and JQuery lists are full of questions from
                > people of various skill levels trying to work around this browser bug
                > or that. Trying to optimise for most popular browsers despite the
                > difficulties and varying levels of standards support. And with each
                > browser release there are more tricks to learn. None of this is
                > "taught" at any high school I know of, and few (if any) higher
                > educational facilities. It's all bleeding-edge stuff were stumbling
                > into in real-time.
                >
                > This does effect those of us trying to present out panos on the web.
                > The Opera thread is just another recent case of issues with cross-
                > browser site development. I suspect there isn't one answer that will
                > fit every pano site. Some people roll-their-own, others use CMS of
                > one sort or another, heck, quite a few use Flickr or Deviant Art or
                > similar community sites to showcase their work. I guess the benefits
                > of that type of site would be that cross-browser issues are "somebody-
                > else's-problem". But for the rest of us, especially those who
                > sincerely wish ie6 would just die! die! die!, we just have to keep
                > fighting the browser issues ... but honestly, it's not a job for an
                > amateur. Most so-called "web designers", who wouldn't recognize let
                > alone understand mark-up if they ever saw it, are not professionals.
                >
                > KathyW.

                ------------
                | A Y R |
                | T O N |
                ------------

                + 55 21 9982 6313

                http://ayrton360.com
                http://rio.360cities.net
                http://vrfolio.com
                http://ayrton.com

              • mrjimbo
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2009
                  A comment about this.. and and observation.. Creating a web site requires both sides of the brain.. In my experience most of the really tech savy struggle with a creative and cohesive site design.. and visa versa.. Thus a good many site builders that insist on being a one man band will never make a site that most of us would be interested in or really happy with.
                  Oddly, I feel that almost all those that I have met that do site solo so far fall into that catagory. Not that some can't do a nice web site that's wouldn't be a tru statement and I think we all know that.. The really great efforts I have been exposed to all came out of design teams.. It always showed up that one side would push the other a little farther with every new effort.. When reviewing their work it always showed up as creative, invative, efficient and functional..

                  jimbo