RE: [PanoToolsNG] Image editing problem/question...

  • Briar
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
      I am promoting them as a commercial venture, early days yet but I have some
      "hung" which is nice. I find landscapes fascinating, getting the sun/shadow
      mix right, something to see all the way round, and so on.

      The web site is a different story, mine is 4 years old with no updating, a
      real mess and not one I advertise. Jeffrey Martin suggested I work with
      360cities which I am looking at but one thing for sure, it is three years
      overdue and I can't advertise properly without doing it properly.

      I want to use maps, hotlinks but really don't know enough myself to know the
      right way to go, and the web designers I have talked to don't understand
      QTVR so that is where I am at the present. All ideas still welcome!! I just
      love this site with all the support that comes from it, and the chance to
      display work.

      Briar Bentley,

      Agender Northland.

      316 Springfield Road.

      R D 8 Whangarei

      09-432-2092

      0274-904-553

      briar_bentley@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2009
        My site is similarly un-updated. It's something I mean to do
        everyday :-)

        Be wary of "Web Designers" Try and find someone you can trust.
        Probably a high school student -- do you have high schools?

        How does your school system work? We have grammar schools for
        grades 1-6, middle schools for grades 7-8, and high schools for
        grades 9-12. I think that's what they are still called. That's
        the way it was for me anyway.

      • Andrew Crawford
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
          Ken Warner wrote:
          > Be wary of "Web Designers" Try and find someone you can trust.
          > Probably a high school student -- do you have high schools?

          There are a lot of a people offering their services as "web designers"
          who lack the skills necessary to develop good web sites. In fact, in my
          experience, that would be most of them. Most business people think they
          know about developing web sites but, they just don't. So, the web is
          full of crappy sites that don't meet the business goals of the companies
          they represent. Worse, no one involved even knows why, if they are
          aware of it at all.

          However, I can't say I've met a lot of high school students with the
          skills to do a professional job of it, either.

          A broad array of skills are needed to build a good site, including
          graphic design skills, information organization ("information
          architecture") skills, marketing savvy, and technical skills. Someone
          with the appropriate skills will have heard of QTVR and, will have some
          idea of what to do with it.

          Professional-grade help may not be needed to resolve this specific issue
          but, please don't disparage an entire profession based on your
          experience with the charlatans.

          Andrew Crawford
        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
            Did you even read what you just wrote? You just disparaged
            "...that would be most of them."

            Amazing how it's always someone else that is at fault...

            Andrew Crawford wrote:
            > Ken Warner wrote:
            >
            >>Be wary of "Web Designers" Try and find someone you can trust.
            >>Probably a high school student -- do you have high schools?
            >

            > There are a lot of a people offering their services as "web designers"
            > who lack the skills necessary to develop good web sites. In fact, in my
            > experience, that would be most of them. Most business people think they
            > know about developing web sites but, they just don't. So, the web is
            > full of crappy sites that don't meet the business goals of the companies
            > they represent. Worse, no one involved even knows why, if they are
            > aware of it at all.
            >
            > However, I can't say I've met a lot of high school students with the
            > skills to do a professional job of it, either.
            >
            > A broad array of skills are needed to build a good site, including
            > graphic design skills, information organization ("information
            > architecture") skills, marketing savvy, and technical skills. Someone
            > with the appropriate skills will have heard of QTVR and, will have some
            > idea of what to do with it.
            >
            > Professional-grade help may not be needed to resolve this specific issue
            > but, please don't disparage an entire profession based on your
            > experience with the charlatans.
            >
            > Andrew Crawford

          • Andrew Crawford
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
              Ken Warner wrote:
              > Did you even read what you just wrote? You just disparaged
              > "...that would be most of them."
              >
              > Amazing how it's always someone else that is at fault...

              Yeah ... I don't think you really got what I was trying to say. Maybe
              that's my fault for not taking more time to word it better. I wasn't
              trying to start an argument and, I don't have time for a prolonged
              discussion about this.

              I took offense to what you said and, felt I should say something. In
              retrospect, I should have just let it go.

              This is now entirely off-topic. So, I won't reply to anything else
              about this on-list.

              Cheers,

              Andrew Crawford
            • Kathy Wheeler
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
                > Andrew Crawford wrote:
                >> There are a lot of a people offering their services as "web
                >> designers"
                >> who lack the skills necessary to develop good web sites. In fact,
                >> in my
                >> experience, that would be most of them.

                Unfortunately Andrew is right. Most people "doing" web sites have no
                real idea what they are doing. It's similar to the phenomena we would
                all recognize that everyone with a digital camera is now a
                "photographer". There is more to both skill sets than meets the
                casual eye. And certainly more than the average high school student
                can master in a few brief years with a copy of Dreamweaver.

                My HTML, XHTML, CSS and JQuery lists are full of questions from
                people of various skill levels trying to work around this browser bug
                or that. Trying to optimise for most popular browsers despite the
                difficulties and varying levels of standards support. And with each
                browser release there are more tricks to learn. None of this is
                "taught" at any high school I know of, and few (if any) higher
                educational facilities. It's all bleeding-edge stuff were stumbling
                into in real-time.

                This does effect those of us trying to present out panos on the web.
                The Opera thread is just another recent case of issues with cross-
                browser site development. I suspect there isn't one answer that will
                fit every pano site. Some people roll-their-own, others use CMS of
                one sort or another, heck, quite a few use Flickr or Deviant Art or
                similar community sites to showcase their work. I guess the benefits
                of that type of site would be that cross-browser issues are "somebody-
                else's-problem". But for the rest of us, especially those who
                sincerely wish ie6 would just die! die! die!, we just have to keep
                fighting the browser issues ... but honestly, it's not a job for an
                amateur. Most so-called "web designers", who wouldn't recognize let
                alone understand mark-up if they ever saw it, are not professionals.

                KathyW.
              • AYRTON
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
                  On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...>wrote:

                  > > Andrew Crawford wrote:
                  > >> There are a lot of a people offering their services as "web
                  > >> designers"
                  > >> who lack the skills necessary to develop good web sites. In fact,
                  > >> in my
                  > >> experience, that would be most of them.

                  I completely AGREE with Andrew and Kathy of course.

                  best
                  AYRTON

                  > Unfortunately Andrew is right. Most people "doing" web sites have no
                  > real idea what they are doing. It's similar to the phenomena we would
                  > all recognize that everyone with a digital camera is now a
                  > "photographer". There is more to both skill sets than meets the
                  > casual eye. And certainly more than the average high school student
                  > can master in a few brief years with a copy of Dreamweaver.
                  >
                  > My HTML, XHTML, CSS and JQuery lists are full of questions from
                  > people of various skill levels trying to work around this browser bug
                  > or that. Trying to optimise for most popular browsers despite the
                  > difficulties and varying levels of standards support. And with each
                  > browser release there are more tricks to learn. None of this is
                  > "taught" at any high school I know of, and few (if any) higher
                  > educational facilities. It's all bleeding-edge stuff were stumbling
                  > into in real-time.
                  >
                  > This does effect those of us trying to present out panos on the web.
                  > The Opera thread is just another recent case of issues with cross-
                  > browser site development. I suspect there isn't one answer that will
                  > fit every pano site. Some people roll-their-own, others use CMS of
                  > one sort or another, heck, quite a few use Flickr or Deviant Art or
                  > similar community sites to showcase their work. I guess the benefits
                  > of that type of site would be that cross-browser issues are "somebody-
                  > else's-problem". But for the rest of us, especially those who
                  > sincerely wish ie6 would just die! die! die!, we just have to keep
                  > fighting the browser issues ... but honestly, it's not a job for an
                  > amateur. Most so-called "web designers", who wouldn't recognize let
                  > alone understand mark-up if they ever saw it, are not professionals.
                  >
                  > KathyW.

                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                  ------------

                  + 55 21 9982 6313

                  http://ayrton360.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com

                • mrjimbo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2009
                    A comment about this.. and and observation.. Creating a web site requires both sides of the brain.. In my experience most of the really tech savy struggle with a creative and cohesive site design.. and visa versa.. Thus a good many site builders that insist on being a one man band will never make a site that most of us would be interested in or really happy with.
                    Oddly, I feel that almost all those that I have met that do site solo so far fall into that catagory. Not that some can't do a nice web site that's wouldn't be a tru statement and I think we all know that.. The really great efforts I have been exposed to all came out of design teams.. It always showed up that one side would push the other a little farther with every new effort.. When reviewing their work it always showed up as creative, invative, efficient and functional..

                    jimbo