stitching multi-viewpoint panoramas

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2009
      http://www.vrlog.net/2009/01/how-to-photograph-and-stitch-very-long-scenes/

      nice work. Rick Szeliski is involved of course ;))

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

    • Bjørn K Nilssen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
        On 3 Jan 2009 at 14:00, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

        > http://www.vrlog.net/2009/01/how-to-photograph-and-stitch-very-long-scenes/
        >
        > nice work. Rick Szeliski is involved of course ;))

        Very interesting indeed!
        Wonder if those tools are available anywhere outside the lab?

        When I made my linear panos, at http://bknilssen.no/fasader/ 2-3 years ago I tried a lot
        of tools, but found nothing useful. So I had to do it all by hand, which was a lot of
        work...

      • Andrew Nemeth
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
          On 04/01/2009, at 8:54 PM, "Jeffrey Martin" wrote:

          > http://www.vrlog.net/2009/01/how-to-photograph-and-stitch-very-long-
          > scenes/
          >
          > nice work. Rick Szeliski is involved of course ;))

          Nice work indeed. It's a 2006 article though...

          Back in late 2006 I cooked up one of these linear-pano babies of a
          250m stretch of shops about to be demolished, so I have a bit of
          experience about making these things. @ 80x shots and @ 100 hours in
          photoshop.

          http://4020.net/bmvr/#lawsonshops

          Some issues I faced which I think automated systems are going to have
          a hard time solving:

          o Lots of parked cars, not just one or two. What happens when a
          parked car in shot #5 pulls out in #8?

          o How do you align overhead power-lines (which criss-cross all over
          the place) or road markings or shadows, ie. things not in the
          "dominant plane". What about parallax errors with clouds visible
          behind and through power lines?...

          o How do you get the sky to be consistently blue, and not filled with
          occasional blue blobs (like the single blue-sky Agawala et. al.
          example)?

          o How will it cope with dodging cars and trucks on an incredibly busy
          highway... :?Q

          So... nice effort from Aseem Agarwala (et al.), but I think these
          panoramas will continue being rare because they take such an
          incredibly huge amount of work in photoshop to pull off believably.

          That said, Agawala (et al.)'s supermarket aisle sample is pretty
          cool... now if only they learned how to do a colour balance :?)

          Regards,

          Andrew N.
          <http://nemeng.com>
          Blue Mountains Australia
        • robert_harshman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
            Agawala (et al.)'s supermarket aisle sample is pretty
            > cool... now if only they learned how to do a colour balance :?)
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Andrew N.

            The supermarket aisle example is quite cool but it does have a lot of
            errors too if you look closely. But even with those errors, it would
            be wonderful if their approach was commercialized as it would probably
            allow those 100's of hours to turn into 10's of hours.

            Regards,

            Robert