Experience with .45x wide angle adapters?

  • Daniel Reetz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi all,

      Does anyone have any experience with screw-on Wide Angle adapters such
      as the Merkury CL-62WB? There seem to be dozens of brands and styles
      available, and I'm not finding much in the way of reviews or
      evaluations. I'd be using it on a video camera with a 62mm mount.

      Regards,
      DR
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
        Should be fine for what they are designed to do.

        But be aware, they will degrade sharpness and usually introduce chromatic aberration.

        For photos this is generally not that great, but for video the resolution is already quite low.

        Usually, they are all made by the same manufacturer and rebranded a dozen times with different names. If you shop around, you’ll probably see the same picture under different brands.

        Phoenix makes a lot of them.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        404-551-4275

        Does anyone have any experience with screw-on Wide Angle adapters such
        as the Merkury CL-62WB? There seem to be dozens of brands and styles
        available, and I'm not finding much in the way of reviews or
        evaluations. I'd be using it on a video camera with a 62mm mount.

        Regards,
        DR

        .

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=18227848/grpspId=1705006496/msgId=25684/stime=1230933343/nc1=3848644/nc2=4025304/nc3=5202323>

      • Roger Berry
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          With this Century Optics .3X ultra fisheye 37mm MKII on a Canon hv20,
          I'm getting a sharp image without any lens vignetting, Very nice wide
          full frame view with very little decoration on top and bottom. I do
          have to zoom into it just a little though.
          This newer MKII is sharper and has less of a fisheye effect than the
          older MKI, I would guess the FOV is somewhere around 160 degrees.
          Here's a photo of the setup:
          http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/hv20_fisheye.jpg

          Regards,
          Roger Berry