XP 32-bit and More memory for Photoshop

  • Ingemar Bergmark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      In 32-bit Windows XP, the maximum amount of virtual memory for an
      application is 2GB. In the link below, you can modify the system to
      increase the amount of memory available to applications.

      WARNING: As stated in the article, your system can become unstable
      since many device drivers assume the default settings. Your system
      can even become un-bootable, which will require you to boot into safe
      mode to undo the changes. Make a backup before any changes!

      On my machine, after I made the changes, Photoshop now has about 1GB
      more memory to work with.

      Here is the article:
      http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index.php//3GB_Switch

      When I used the /3GB switch alone, my system booted up, but became
      unstable. I had to use the /USERVA switch to fine-tune the amount of
      virtual memory allocated. With some testing I found that a setting
      of /USERVA=2900 resulted in a stable system for me. I've been running
      this setting for some time now, and have had no side effects.

      Regards,
      Ingemar
      http://bergmark.com