One shot panoramas

  • Mihai Stanescu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello all

      I was interested in knowing what kind of hardware do you use when you
      need to make panoramas that contain a lot of moving subjects.
      (festivals for example)

      After some research I found O-360 optical system. Are there other
      similar optical systems?

      Also...if using O-360 do you have any tutorial in stitching the zenith
      and nadir shots?

      Thanks
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
        Sometime around 1/1/09 (at 18:25 +0200) Mihai Stanescu said:

        >Hello all
        >
        >I was interested in knowing what kind of hardware do you use when you
        >need to make panoramas that contain a lot of moving subjects.
        >(festivals for example)

        I shoot festivals and similar busy environments (concerts and clubs)
        among other places. Here are a few examples...

        Cropredy Festival (Fairport Convention):
        http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/cropredy/

        Glade Festival:
        http://www.edmgallery.com/3d/

        Heaven Nightclub (Steve Hillage, handheld):
        http://www.panoramapostcards.co.uk/vr/system_7/

        When I was considering my first festival shoot I looked at a few
        different options. I even bought a 360-One mirror system, which is
        essentially the same sort of thing as the one you're looking at. I
        ended up rejecting it entirely. (Doh!)

        The benefit of a donut mirror 'lens' is that you get a complete
        stitch-free horizontal image in one shot. No stitching means no
        issues with someone leaping across the blend boundaries of adjacent
        shots.

        The drawbacks of these things...

        * Low final panorama resolution (you use just a portion of a single
        photo for the entire 360-degree sweep, versus compositing multiple
        shots in stitched output). You will never get anything suitable for
        full-screen use, let alone for prints larger than playing cards.

        * Optical clarity is compromised (you're shooting a mirror, and on
        top of this the vertical extremes will be rather less sharp than the
        main parts)

        * Additional zenith and nadir shots will be needed to create
        spherical panoramas, and these will need to be taken with a different
        lens. This will be rather clumsy and slow at best, and adding the
        shots to the cylindrical image will take effort. I imagine PTGui
        would handle this, but I've never bothered trying it because of the
        very low maximum possible resolution.

        I gave up this idea fairly quickly. I shoot festivals and clubs with
        a 360Precision pano head for speed plus accuracy, and the Fuji S5Pro
        with Nikkor 10.5mm lens. I have worked with eight shots around to
        allow for a large overlap, but more recently I've been using the
        standard six around. Plus one up and one down of course.

        Speed of shooting is highly important; you need to use a head that
        can be turned quickly and easily to the right click-stop points,
        preferably with one hand and no specific concentration. If you need
        to take separate zenith and/or nadir shots the head must allow for
        quick vertical rotation or quick release for hand-help 'cap' shots.

        I've just ordered the Atome head for the Sigma 4.5mm lens so I can
        tackle completely insane chaotic environments. That lens can capture
        a complete 360/180 image with three horizontal shots, which the Atome
        can help me do in as many seconds. The maximum equirectangular image
        size with that lens and my camera is around 4500px, which isn't
        terribly large - but it is still better than a donut mirror solution.

        I hope this is some help!

      • Rick Drew
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
          I had one, used it for a couple of events, and got rid of it. The quality
          was not that great, focus too soft, and resolution terrible (basically 70%
          of a single frame.) You can't stitch the zenith or nadir - there is just
          too much missing.

          I decided that quality was preferable over speed. If you practice with a
          tripod, you can do a full pano in a few seconds. Just have a lot of coffee
          first.

          Rick Drew

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            shoot handheld!
            with the camera straight above your head.

            for example
            http://www.360cities.net/image/farmers-market-in-old-havana-onions

            all panos in the area of the farmers market (and most in havana in fact) are
            handheld.

            pano heads are overrated ;))

            Jeffrey Martin
            tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
              Sometime around 2/1/09 (at 11:35 +0100) Jeffrey Martin said:

              >http://www.360cities.net/image/farmers-market-in-old-havana-onions

              Impressive, and close to flaw-free. Looks like a great place for
              shooting panos, too.

              >pano heads are overrated ;))

              I've done hand-held shots, but this, for example:
              http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/nc/fairview/new-home.html

              - with so many possibilities for parallax, and shot bracketed for
              enfusing, shows why pano heads are also UNDERrated! ;-)

            • Ronald
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                I just experimented with a monopod, hold in place by a cellphone
                holder attached to my belt. (you rotate the monopod in the phone
                holder). See http://www.panoguide.com/forums/galleries/5649/
                regards,
                Ronald

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mihai Stanescu"
                <mihai.stanescu@...> wrote:

                > Hello all
                >
                > I was interested in knowing what kind of hardware do you use when you
                > need to make panoramas that contain a lot of moving subjects.
                > (festivals for example)
                >
                > After some research I found O-360 optical system. Are there other
                > similar optical systems?
                >
                > Also...if using O-360 do you have any tutorial in stitching the zenith
                > and nadir shots?
                >
                > Thanks

              • eyesee360
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mihai Stanescu" <mihai.stanescu@...> wrote:

                  > Hello all
                  >
                  > I was interested in knowing what kind of hardware do you use when you
                  > need to make panoramas that contain a lot of moving subjects.
                  > (festivals for example)
                  >
                  > After some research I found O-360 optical system. Are there other
                  > similar optical systems?

                  Yes, my company offers the GoPano optic:
                  http://www.eyesee360.com/gopano/

                  We were selling our optics under the 360 One VR brand with Kaidan. This is the latest
                  design and is an EyeSee360 product.

                  We include PhotoWarp with every optic we sell, which has more capabilities than the 0-360
                  bundled software, including batch processing.

                  Best Wishes,
                  Michael Rondinelli
                • Mark D. Fink
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009

                    Absolutely! Good thing I had a steady hand when I shot this:

                    <http://krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/sanctuarie/sanctuarie.xml>

                    8^)

                    Mark
                    www.360cities.net
                    www.pinnacle-vr.com
                    www.northernlight.net
                  • bohonus
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                      Here's a monopod shot I did on the stage of a small night club in Seattle during a
                      performance of the band "Babyland" from L.A. -they do a mix of percussion and electronic
                      music- hence all the sparks from the hand held metal grinder :)

                      They were moving around so much, it was very tricky to get the pieces together (had to go
                      around multiple times).

                      http://tinyurl.com/7ox3pl

                      Nikon D300 w/10.5mm

                      -b
                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Sometime around 2/1/09 (at 21:58 +0000) bohonus said:

                        >it was very tricky to get the pieces together (had to go around
                        >multiple times).

                        It has to be said that this is precisely the problem that the
                        one-shot lens/mirrors don't suffer from. I wish this didn't have to
                        also mean being restricted to one shot's set of pixels.