flash, java, or QT ?

  • photoflo
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
      Hello Everybody,
      I did a lot of Panos during the Construction Time of a spa resort. Now
      I want to show them on the commercial website of the operating
      company. What do you think is the best way to do this ?
      QT, Flash, Java or anything else ?
      Till now I was working with Flash (made them with pano2vr)
      Let me know your thoughts …

      Thanks

      Florian
    • Fernando Chaves
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
        ...I want to show them on the commercial website of the operating
        company. What do you think is the best way to do this ?
        QT, Flash, Java or anything else ?
        Till now I was working with Flash (made them with pano2vr)
        Let me know your thoughts .

        Thanks

        Florian

        I think flash is the way to go. It's supposed to be installed on 99% of
        computers.

        http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/

        Best regards,

        Fernando
      • Robert Fisher
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
          For me I would use Flash and FPP. FPP at the moment is the easiest
          and most adaptable way to display panos.

          On Dec 29, 2008, at 6:55 AM, photoflo wrote:

          > Hello Everybody,
          > I did a lot of Panos during the Construction Time of a spa resort. Now
          > I want to show them on the commercial website of the operating
          > company. What do you think is the best way to do this ?
          > QT, Flash, Java or anything else ?
          > Till now I was working with Flash (made them with pano2vr)
          > Let me know your thoughts �
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Florian

          Cheers
          Robert Fisher
          VR Photography / Cinematography

        • photoflo
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
            What´s FPP ?

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Fisher <bob@...> wrote:

            > For me I would use Flash and FPP. FPP at the moment is the easiest
            > and most adaptable way to display panos.
            >
            > On Dec 29, 2008, at 6:55 AM, photoflo wrote:
            >
            > > Hello Everybody,
            > > I did a lot of Panos during the Construction Time of a spa resort. Now
            > > I want to show them on the commercial website of the operating
            > > company. What do you think is the best way to do this ?
            > > QT, Flash, Java or anything else ?
            > > Till now I was working with Flash (made them with pano2vr)
            > > Let me know your thoughts …
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Florian
            > >

            > Cheers
            > Robert Fisher
            > VR Photography / Cinematography

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
              Sometime around 29/12/08 (at 08:47 -0800) Robert Fisher said:

              >FPP at the moment is the easiest and most adaptable

              Pano2VR's Flash output is even easier, but FPP is certainly more
              extensible. :-)

            • fierodeval
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                Hi Florian,

                It exist a lot of info and comments about features and advantages of
                different players in this group ;)

                best regards!
                fiero

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "photoflo" <photoflo@...> wrote:

                > Hello Everybody,
                > I did a lot of Panos during the Construction Time of a spa resort. Now
                > I want to show them on the commercial website of the operating
                > company. What do you think is the best way to do this ?
                > QT, Flash, Java or anything else ?
                > Till now I was working with Flash (made them with pano2vr)
                > Let me know your thoughts …
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Florian

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                  Sometime around 29/12/08 (at 17:00 +0000) photoflo said:

                  >What´s FPP ?

                  FPP is short for Flash Panorama Player, which is
                  a SWF file that reads external image files and
                  optionally an XML file and additional SWF files
                  to provide various different playback options,
                  from autorotate through to embedded video clips.

                  More info is at http://www.flashpanoramas.com/

                  It is fun and effective, but the documentation is
                  not exactly rich. Fortunately, a third-party tool
                  that helps generate the XML for you has recently
                  been made: http://www.flashificator.com/

                • Joergen Geerds
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                    FPP and krpano or similar things are definitely the way to go at the moment... QT is pretty much obsolete as a delivery vehicle, and java suffers from performance issues, and has for what I can remember the ugliest user interfaces.

                    I found that the tools that come with krpano make ones life very easy, and the latest version 1.08 doesn't suffer from jagged lines anymore.

                    good luck with your project.

                    joergen
                    luminous-newyork.com
                    newyorkpanorama.com

                    > I did a lot of Panos during the Construction Time of a spa
                    > resort. Now
                    > I want to show them on the commercial website of the
                    > operating
                    > company. What do you think is the best way to do this ?
                    > QT, Flash, Java or anything else ?
                    > Till now I was working with Flash (made them with pano2vr)
                    > Let me know your thoughts …
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Florian
                  • tom_a_sparks
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joergen Geerds <joergengeerds@...>
                      wrote:

                      > FPP and krpano or similar things are definitely the way to go at the
                      moment... QT is pretty much obsolete as a delivery vehicle, and java
                      suffers from performance issues, and has for what I can remember the
                      ugliest user interfaces.

                      java has it flaws,
                      but java and flash are the best ways to go currently
                    • Bjørn K Nilssen
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                        On 29 Dec 2008 at 20:19, tom_a_sparks wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Joergen Geerds <joergengeerds@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > FPP and krpano or similar things are definitely the way to go at the
                        > moment... QT is pretty much obsolete as a delivery vehicle, and java
                        > suffers from performance issues, and has for what I can remember the
                        > ugliest user interfaces.
                        > >

                        > java has it flaws,
                        > but java and flash are the best ways to go currently

                        IMHO they all have flaws. Flash is quite unstable in fullscreen mode on my PC, and
                        crashes/freezes every now and then in all browsers.
                        Besides, no fullscreen Flash pano I've seen was able to use the standard zoom controls,
                        like Shift/Ctrl or RMB, which is quite annoying, but apparently a limitation of Flash
                        itself..
                        Lots of Flash panos also suffere from jagged/curving lines.

                        IMO the best looking viewer is DevalVR, but unfortunately it requires a plugin which is
                        Windows-only.

                        I prefer to use Immervisions Pure Player, which lets me make a single source file that
                        can be viewed with both Java and Flash, in a frame or full screen.
                        Very easy to use, and no need to do any conversion into cubefaces or strips or QT. It's
                        also very well documented and also well suited for hotspots and linking. It is also
                        capable of encrypting your panos for full protection from theft.

                      • AYRTON
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                          On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 6:44 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                          > On 29 Dec 2008 at 20:19, tom_a_sparks wrote:
                          > IMHO they all have flaws. Flash is quite unstable in fullscreen mode on my
                          > PC, and
                          > crashes/freezes every now and then in all browsers.
                          > Besides, no fullscreen Flash pano I've seen was able to use the standard
                          > zoom controls,
                          > like Shift/Ctrl or RMB, which is quite annoying, but apparently a
                          > limitation of Flash
                          > itself..

                          Bjorn
                          sorry, but ALL my flash panos, you can use
                          shift , control and/or command for zoom being - or +
                          besides you can use the little buttons on the bottom of the screen to do the
                          same
                          And they all work on pc, in different brownsers and of course on MACs :-)

                          Check it out please
                          ayrton360.com

                          best regards
                          AYRTON

                          > Lots of Flash panos also suffere from jagged/curving lines.
                          >
                          > IMO the best looking viewer is DevalVR, but unfortunately it requires a
                          > plugin which is
                          > Windows-only.
                          >
                          > I prefer to use Immervisions Pure Player, which lets me make a single
                          > source file that
                          > can be viewed with both Java and Flash, in a frame or full screen.
                          > Very easy to use, and no need to do any conversion into cubefaces or strips
                          > or QT. It's
                          > also very well documented and also well suited for hotspots and linking. It
                          > is also
                          > capable of encrypting your panos for full protection from theft.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

                          ------------
                          | A Y R |
                          | T O N |
                          ------------

                          + 55 21 9982 6313

                          http://ayrton360.com
                          http://rio.360cities.net
                          http://vrfolio.com
                          http://ayrton.com

                        • Bjørn K Nilssen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                            On 29 Dec 2008 at 18:50, AYRTON wrote:

                            > On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 6:44 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > On 29 Dec 2008 at 20:19, tom_a_sparks wrote:
                            > > IMHO they all have flaws. Flash is quite unstable in fullscreen mode on my
                            > > PC, and
                            > > crashes/freezes every now and then in all browsers.
                            > > Besides, no fullscreen Flash pano I've seen was able to use the standard
                            > > zoom controls,
                            > > like Shift/Ctrl or RMB, which is quite annoying, but apparently a
                            > > limitation of Flash
                            > > itself..
                            >

                            > Bjorn
                            > sorry, but ALL my flash panos, you can use
                            > shift , control and/or command for zoom being - or +
                            > besides you can use the little buttons on the bottom of the screen to do the
                            > same
                            > And they all work on pc, in different brownsers and of course on MACs :-)

                            Yes Ayrton, Shift/Ctrl works fine, but not after switching to fullscreen mode.
                            I just checked out your nice panos again, and it still doesn't work. It works inside a
                            window filling the screen, but not in real full screen mode (where you get the "Press Esc
                            to exit full screen mode" message.)
                            Maybe it works only on a Mac?

                          • AYRTON
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                              On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

                              > Yes Ayrton, Shift/Ctrl works fine, but not after switching to fullscreen
                              > mode.
                              > I just checked out your nice panos again, and it still doesn't work. It
                              > works inside a
                              > window filling the screen, but not in real full screen mode (where you get
                              > the "Press Esc
                              > to exit full screen mode" message.)
                              > Maybe it works only on a Mac?

                              Opppssss
                              Ok, I'm gonna try in a PC and get back to you
                              On all my MACs they work on window AND on FS too
                              The keyboard AND the buttons
                              Let me try with win
                              oh, thanks for the compliments :-)

                              AYRTON

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                                Bjørnhi
                                I've just test on windows XP using IE
                                and the buttons still work when in full-screen !
                                The keyboard does not, and I didn't know that before,
                                BUT you can use my buttons in the bottom of the screen to zoom in or out

                                Best
                                AYRTON

                                --
                                ------------
                                | A Y R |

                                + 55 21 9982 6313

                                http://ayrton360.com
                                http://rio.360cities.net
                                http://vrfolio.com
                                http://ayrton.com

                              • Hans Nyberg
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008

                                  > Bjørnhi
                                  > I've just test on windows XP using IE
                                  > and the buttons still work when in full-screen !
                                  > The keyboard does not, and I didn't know that before,
                                  > BUT you can use my buttons in the bottom of the screen to zoom in or out

                                  How the keyboard is working depends on Flash version and system.
                                  With flash 10 we have got keyboard for both zoom and panning with arrow keys on Mac.

                                  Hans
                                • Sacha Griffin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                                    No Keys under flash 10 and vista.

                                    Yes, there was something odd with that 360. Brought my dual core intel to
                                    its knees as well. Was fine, once it was loaded.

                                    Sacha Griffin

                                    Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                                    http://www.southern-digital.com

                                    http://www.seeit360.net

                                    404-551-4275

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 29, 2008
                                      On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Sacha Griffin <
                                      sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                                      > No Keys under flash 10 and vista.

                                      one more on vista :-)

                                      Yes, there was something odd with that 360.

                                      Me :-)

                                      > Brought my dual core intel to its knees as well. Was fine, once it was
                                      > loaded.

                                      it is a 7930 wide by 1767 pixelst jpg

                                      Best
                                      AYRTON

                                      > Sacha Griffin
                                      >
                                      > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                                      >
                                      > http://www.southern-digital.com
                                      >
                                      > http://www.seeit360.net
                                      >
                                      > 404-551-4275

                                      ------------
                                      | A Y R |
                                      | T O N |
                                      ------------

                                      + 55 21 9982 6313

                                      http://ayrton360.com
                                      http://rio.360cities.net
                                      http://vrfolio.com
                                      http://ayrton.com

                                    • Bjørn K Nilssen
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 30, 2008
                                        On 29 Dec 2008 at 20:15, AYRTON wrote:

                                        > Bjørnhi
                                        > I've just test on windows XP using IE
                                        > and the buttons still work when in full-screen !
                                        > The keyboard does not, and I didn't know that before,
                                        > BUT you can use my buttons in the bottom of the screen to zoom in or out

                                        Yes, you can always zoom in/out witht he buttons, but after nbeing used to CTrl/Shift it
                                        is just a bit annoying to have to change to the buttons.
                                        But there is nothing you/we can do about it AFAIK. All full screen Flash panos are the
                                        same, also PurePlayer

                                        .--