Santa at 6400ISO

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 24, 2008
      Here for those interested in D700/10.5mm shots --
      http://www.mediavr.com/xmas.htm

      This is at 6400ISO. It wasnt that dark but Santa wasnt gonna stay still
      so I shot it motorized at 6fps on a rotator (2.5sec for 360). 1/2500th
      at f3.5 on 10.5mm. Two EVs extracted from each raw then enfused in JB
      Software then stitched with PtGui and Smartblend.

      Peter Murphy
      http://www.mediavr.com/blog
    • Philip Warner
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 24, 2008
        Peter,

        Thanks for that pano. I've been wanting to know how the D700 panos
        would look at 6400ISO on a spinning panohead. What would the
        speed/quality have been if shot at 3200ISO? I've had clear shots at
        1/1600, ~1.2 sec for 360, from my rc helicopter.

        Merry Christmas!

        Phil

        > Here for those interested in D700/10.5mm shots --
        > http://www.mediavr.com/xmas.htm
        >
        > This is at 6400ISO. It wasnt that dark but Santa wasnt gonna stay still
        > so I shot it motorized at 6fps on a rotator (2.5sec for 360). 1/2500th
        > at f3.5 on 10.5mm. Two EVs extracted from each raw then enfused in JB
        > Software then stitched with PtGui and Smartblend.
        >
        > Peter Murphy
        > http://www.mediavr.com/blog

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 25, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Warner" <philip@...>
          wrote:

          > > Thanks for that pano. I've been wanting to know how the D700
          panos
          > would look at 6400ISO on a spinning panohead. What would the
          > speed/quality have been if shot at 3200ISO? I've had clear shots at
          > 1/1600, ~1.2 sec for 360, from my rc helicopter.
          >

          > > Here for those interested in D700/10.5mm shots --
          > > http://www.mediavr.com/xmas.htm
          > >
          > > This is at 6400ISO.

          Hi Philip
          I'm surprised you can get clear shots at 1/1600th with 1.2second
          rotations with the 10.5mm on a FF camera. I have been shooting at
          1/4000th when I set my spinner to that sort of rotation speed. And it
          rather boggles the mind to think of the camera spinning that fast
          underneath a rc helicopter. :-)

          http://www.mediavr.com/bondixmas.htm
          Here is another motorized pano from today ... from Bondi Beach ... at
          320ISO at 1/2500th with D700/10.5mm. Not critically sharp despite
          being a 6000*3000 original -- I think I will have to save up and get
          a 5Dmkii. (Backbackers in Sydney traditionally do the Xmas thing at
          Bondi.)

          Peter Murphy
        • Philip Warner
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 25, 2008
            > Hi Philip
            > I'm surprised you can get clear shots at 1/1600th with 1.2second
            > rotations with the 10.5mm on a FF camera.

            I'm using a Canon 30D with the Sigma 10mm fisheye.

            > http://www.mediavr.com/bondixmas.htm
            > Here is another motorized pano from today ... from Bondi Beach ... at
            > 320ISO at 1/2500th with D700/10.5mm. Not critically sharp despite
            > being a 6000*3000 original -- I think I will have to save up and get
            > a 5Dmkii. (Backbackers in Sydney traditionally do the Xmas thing at
            > Bondi.)
            >
            > Peter Murphy

            Nice shot of Santa's little helpers next to you! I've also been
            looking at the Canon 5D...maybe next year.

            Which motorized rotator are you using?

            Phil
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 2008
              Do you know how the sigma fisheye compare with the Nikon?

              I imagine you shaved it still.

              Sacha Griffin

              Southern Digital Solutions LLC

              http://www.southern-digital.com

              http://www.seeit360.net

              404-551-4275

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 26, 2008
                They are both of the same quality. I shoot Canon and went with the
                Sigma. It's not a FF model and so I didn't shave it. If I owned a
                Nikon I would have used their 10.5mm.

                Phil

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...>
                wrote:

                > Do you know how the sigma fisheye compare with the Nikon?
                >
                > I imagine you shaved it still.
                >

                > Sacha Griffin
                >
                > Southern Digital Solutions LLC
                >
                > http://www.southern-digital.com
                >
                > http://www.seeit360.net
                >
                > 404-551-4275
              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
                  And here with the D700 are the New Year fireworks this year in Sydney
                  at 1600ISO (with a pole, 3 shots, f3.5, 10.5mm, 1/40th)
                  http://www.mediavr.com/nye09.htm or in Flash on panoramas.dk
                  http://www.panoramas.dk/

                  You might like to compare that with the 2007/2008 fireworks at the same
                  location with the Canon 5D at 800ISO
                  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/15929

                  This was my swansong with the D700 as I have got a 5DMkII and I sold
                  the D700 yesterday (switching cameras makes was fuzzing my brain
                  interface-wise). I used the D700 on NYE because I thought it might have
                  an edge for fireworks (and it would have been depressing if something
                  bad had happened to my brandnew 5DMarkII on its first outing -- it is
                  extremely hectic sometimes at Sydney NYEs.)

                  Peter Murphy
                  http://www.mediavr.com/blog

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Look at all those people! Great job at getting everyone to freeze
                    while the camera was spinning and shooting. Less noise in the shot
                    from last year. I can't wait to see your 2010 New Years Eve pano. ;-)

                    Phil