dxoinfo

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
      this looks interesting.

      http://www.dxomark.com/
      Welcome to dxomark.com (beta), a free resource dedicated to RAW-based camera
      image quality
      DxO Labs created dxomark.com for members of the digital photographic
      community who are passionate about image quality – professional
      photographers, advanced amateurs, photography reviewers and imaging media
      journalists. While other websites publish information about JPEG image
      quality, only DxO Labs provides the first publicly-accessible database of
      objective and in-depth RAW sensor image quality measurements.

      any thoughts about it?

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

    • ptgroup
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
        uh - this looks pretty strange.
        How can a camera be ranked HIGHER with a nearly equal values
        in DXO-Mark Sensor, Color Depth, and Dynamic Range but a 50% worser ISO ????

        Nikon D40X <> Canon 40D !!!!
        Also the Canon 50D is ranked lower then the Canon 40D ???

        But still it is an impressive comparison though.

        Ciao
        Mike
        http://www.360de.de

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
          http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Insights/More-pixels-offsets-noise!/Real-life-comparisons

          VERY interesting: the "REAL ISO" for different cameres.

          nikon overexposes, canon underexposes.... (ok, someone told me that once
          already, but here is some proof....)

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
            Quoting Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...>:

            > http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Insights/More-pixels-offsets-
            noise!/Real-life-comparisons

            > VERY interesting: the "REAL ISO" for different cameres.
            >
            > nikon overexposes, canon underexposes.... (ok, someone told me that once
            > already, but here is some proof....)

            that seems to say because the minimum iso on the canon is 100 and on the nikon
            200 then at 100 the canon would need 2x the exposure as the nikon. which you
            would expect. to compare the 2 for noise I imagine it should be done at the
            same iso.

            regards
            mick

          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...> wrote:

              > http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Insights/More-pixels-offsets-noise!/Real-
              life-comparisons

              > VERY interesting: the "REAL ISO" for different cameres.
              >
              > nikon overexposes, canon underexposes.... (ok, someone told me that once
              > already, but here is some proof....)

              That really depends on what model

              If you compare the 5D (old one) with the D3 it is the opposite.
              800 asa D3 real ISO is only 635. 5D real ISO is 757

              I doubt that this measurements can be used as a real proof for every single camera.

              My Canons are all different.
              I still have the 10D, 20D, and the 5D and exposure at same ASA are slightly different on
              all.

              Hans
            • Hans Nyberg
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@> wrote:
                > >
                > > http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Insights/More-pixels-offsets-
                noise!/Real-
                > life-comparisons
                > >
                > > VERY interesting: the "REAL ISO" for different cameres.
                > >
                > > nikon overexposes, canon underexposes.... (ok, someone told me that once
                > > already, but here is some proof....)
                >
                > That really depends on what model
                >
                > If you compare the 5D (old one) with the D3 it is the opposite.
                > 800 asa D3 real ISO is only 635. 5D real ISO is 757
                >
                > I doubt that this measurements can be used as a real proof for every single camera.
                >
                > My Canons are all different.
                > I still have the 10D, 20D, and the 5D and exposure at same ASA are slightly different on

                And if you look at the D300 it looks like it is the worst of all.
                It underexposes 1/2 F-stop according to these measurements.

                All older Nikons are just as accurate as the Canons which means from accurate to 20%
                underexposure.
                My old 10D seems to slightly overexpose which as far as I remember also is the case with
                mine.

                Hans
              • paul womack
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
                  Hans Nyberg wrote:
                  > And if you look at the D300 it looks like it is the worst of all.
                  > It underexposes 1/2 F-stop according to these measurements.
                  >
                  > All older Nikons are just as accurate as the Canons which means from accurate to 20%
                  > underexposure.
                  > My old 10D seems to slightly overexpose which as far as I remember also is the case with
                  > mine.

                  As a trivial data point, my Canon A630 is permanently
                  (except for very special cases) set to -1/3
                  exposure compensation.

                  Otherwise highlights are almost always blown.

                  BugBear