Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: PTS files x 20

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
      I particularly dislike scripting on Windows out of the box, so one of my
      first stops when setting up a new Windows machine is to download/install
      cygwin - it gives me a Unix-like shell environment (in my case, bash) with
      all the common GNU utilities I am used to on OSX and Linux.

      I haven't been following this thread, but noticed a mention of Microsoft's
      Unix services - cygwin is an excellent alternative.

      PTS files are easy to parse, but first you need to pick your
      tools/language... that's something personal, as much a matter of style as
      anything. Any basic scripting language can handle parsing text files;
      there are some that are more powerful, or more arcane. There are also many
      additional tools like sed which some prefer as well.

      To my current tastes, I find python quick and easy for this kind of work -
      has all the requisite string processing functions you'd need, in a simple
      and straightforward language that runs everywhere. But as with anything
      mentioned here, you'll need some background in programming/scripting, or a
      willingness to learn. As a power user, learning a common scripting
      language will be one of the best investments in skills you'll ever make.

      -R