Re: Cubic Conversion Plugin Update

  • Mahmood Hamidi
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
      Thanks Flemming,
      This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
      A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
      So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
      therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
      Maybe Rune's tutorial link could also be put in the tutorial part of
      "wiki.panotools.org" too.

      Thanks,
      Mahmood
      http://stockholm360.net
      http://360cities.net/area/stockholm-sweden

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_
      filter

      > Allthough I'm the man behind the above link I've used the SuperRune
      plugin
      > for a long time.
      > First of all because the nadir/zenith you get to work on isn't as
      > distorted - when you have to deal with patterned floors it makes it
      much
      > easier to cut and paste, using patch tools or alike to hide the
      tripod - and
      > especially as the interface makes it easy to rotate the view so the
      patterns
      > are hor/ver aligned.
      >
      > best regards
      >
      > Flemming

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi" <mahmood_hamidi@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks Flemming,
        > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
        > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
        > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
        > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.

        No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear images with adjust like you do
        with SuperRune.
        Flemming does it an untraditional way by just changing the full equirectangular view.
        The normal way is to extract rectilinear images, and as Adjust saves your settings
        automatically you can always use the same settings for it as long as you Equirectangular is
        the same size.
        It is just as fast as SuperRune. (which we do not have on Mac. )

        However the new patch option in Pano2VR is also nice but you need to learn the steps in
        it. You may easy end up with a crash or an equirectangular which is not at all updated if
        you make a single mistake.

        Hans

        > Maybe Rune's tutorial link could also be put in the tutorial part of
        > "wiki.panotools.org" too.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mahmood
        > http://stockholm360.net
        > http://360cities.net/area/stockholm-sweden
        >

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@>

      • Rune Spaans
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
          It would be great if you could call the plugin 'superSpheric' from now
          on! Example: "The superSpheric plugin did a nice/bad job of unwrapping
          my pano."

          SuperRune is my company name, and it's really weird to read about
          people using my company to unwrap panos!

          Sorry to be picky :)

          Cheers,
          (Super)Rune

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi" <mahmood_hamidi@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks Flemming,
          > > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
          > > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
          > > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
          > > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
          >
          > No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear
          images with adjust like you do
          > with SuperRune.
        • ptgroup
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 5, 2008
            Hello Rune
            I just tried Superspheric and found an severe error:
            - when I retransfer "supercubic reverse express" there are 2 rows of pixel
            missing.
            1 at the beginning (hm - say left side) and one on the end (say right side)
            of the pano.
            There is a red seam 180° long - from o - 180° HFOV, 2px wide just where the
            2 ends should fit together.

            Workflow:

            1 load image 7822 x 3911
            2 copy to a new layer
            3. run SuperCubic Express
            4. retouche the supbercubic generated layer 7822 x 3911
            5. run SuperCubix Reverse Express
            6. reduce layer - still 7822 x 3911
            7. save as tif

            Seam is generated.
            Tried the "No Express"- Version: same result .
            Size never differs - looks like a selection with a 2-3px feather is done to
            the whole image, then devided and reconstructed.
            You get a seam then too.

            Do I use a idiotic workflow ???
            Does anyone have the same experience ??

            Machine:
            AMD X26400, 3072 MB RAM, 500 GB HD (350 free), Windows XP SP2, PS CS2
            Background Progs: AVG AntiVir, PCTools Firewall, Outlook, Copernic, MSN,
            Active Sync
            Free RAM
            PS running and image loaded: 1,389 MB
            PS closed : 2,097 MB

            Someone an idea ???

            Thanks for every input

            ciao
            mike
            www.360de.de

            Mit freundlichen Grüssen
            HMS
            mailto: hmsmail@...
            Web: http://www.compulanz.de
            ----------------------------
            360° VR Fotografie:
            http://www.360de.de

            It would be great if you could call the plugin 'superSpheric' from now
            on! Example: "The superSpheric plugin did a nice/bad job of unwrapping
            my pano."

            SuperRune is my company name, and it's really weird to read about
            people using my company to unwrap panos!

            Sorry to be picky :)

            Cheers,
            (Super)Rune

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi" <mahmood_hamidi@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks Flemming,
            > > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
            > > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
            > > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
            > > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
            >
            > No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear
            images with adjust like you do
            > with SuperRune.

          • Rune Spaans
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 6, 2008
              Hi,

              Thanks a lot for reporting this. As you know, I also got your email.
              I'm not seeing this on my machine, but I'll send you some versions of
              the plugin to test. Together we should be able to solve this :)

              Thanks,
              Rune

              > Hello Rune
              > I just tried Superspheric and found an severe error:
              > - when I retransfer "supercubic reverse express" there are 2 rows of
              pixel
              > missing.
              > 1 at the beginning (hm - say left side) and one on the end (say
              right side)
              > of the pano.
              > There is a red seam 180° long - from o - 180° HFOV, 2px wide just
              where the
              > 2 ends should fit together.
              >
              > Workflow:
              >
              > 1 load image 7822 x 3911
              > 2 copy to a new layer
              > 3. run SuperCubic Express
              > 4. retouche the supbercubic generated layer 7822 x 3911
              > 5. run SuperCubix Reverse Express
              > 6. reduce layer - still 7822 x 3911
              > 7. save as tif
              >
              > Seam is generated.
              > Tried the "No Express"- Version: same result .
              > Size never differs - looks like a selection with a 2-3px feather is
              done to
              > the whole image, then devided and reconstructed.
              > You get a seam then too.
              >

              > Do I use a idiotic workflow ???
              > Does anyone have the same experience ??
              >
              > Machine:
              > AMD X26400, 3072 MB RAM, 500 GB HD (350 free), Windows XP SP2, PS CS2
              > Background Progs: AVG AntiVir, PCTools Firewall, Outlook, Copernic, MSN,
              > Active Sync
              > Free RAM
              > PS running and image loaded: 1,389 MB
              > PS closed : 2,097 MB
              >
              > Someone an idea ???
              >
              > Thanks for every input
              >
              > ciao
              > mike
              > www.360de.de

            • Rune Spaans
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                Hi again!

                I have uploaded a new version of the superSpheric plugin:
                http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_3.zip

                This version takes care of a small bug that resulted in the first
                vertical line of the panorama not being converted. Thanks a lot to
                Mike at 360de.de for reporting the bug and helping me testing this new
                build.

                Cheers,
                Rune
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 9, 2008
                  Thank you Rune! Quick bug fix. I love the new version which allows for
                  rendering bigger image dimensions than before.

                  Yours,
                  Michael

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rune Spaans" <rune@...> wrote:

                  > Hi again!
                  >
                  > I have uploaded a new version of the superSpheric plugin:
                  > http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_3.zip
                  >
                  > This version takes care of a small bug that resulted in the first
                  > vertical line of the panorama not being converted. Thanks a lot to
                  > Mike at 360de.de for reporting the bug and helping me testing this new
                  > build.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Rune

                • Rune Spaans
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                    I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                    plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).

                    http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php

                    Cheers,
                    Rune

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rune Spaans" <rune@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I have updated my Cupic-to-Spheric-to-Cubic conversion plugin (which
                    > some of you mistakenly call the 'superrune' plugin). This is only a
                    > minor update, which means there is no Mac version and no float support
                    > yet. Sorry about that, I am working on both issues. At least it's
                    > still free, unless you decide to donate me a couple of dollars
                    > (recommended for further development).
                    >
                    > Here are the things that are changed:
                    >
                    > - Memory consumption should be improved. I have been able to convert
                    > panos up to 40.000 pixels wide on my machine.
                    >
                    > - The plugin is renamed to 'superSpheric', and appears under the
                    > 'SuperRune Filters' folder inside of Photoshop.
                    >
                    > I haven't put the plugin on my site yet, but you can download it here
                    > for now: http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_2.zip
                    >
                    > Let me know if there are any issues with it!
                    >
                    > I have figures out a workaround to the float limitation, and will be
                    > updating my website with a tutorial soon :)
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Rune

                  • Philipp B. Koch
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                      Rune Spaans schrieb:
                      > I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                      > plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).
                      >
                      > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Rune
                      Much appreciated, thanks Rune! It's a pity that it doesn't work on
                      64-bit Photoshop, but I guess that's a FilterMeister restriction?

                      Best regards, Philipp
                    • Rune Spaans
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:

                        > Rune Spaans schrieb:
                        > > I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                        > > plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).
                        > >
                        > > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php
                        > >
                        > > Cheers,
                        > > Rune
                        > Much appreciated, thanks Rune! It's a pity that it doesn't work on
                        > 64-bit Photoshop, but I guess that's a FilterMeister restriction?
                        >
                        > Best regards, Philipp

                        Yes, the lack of 16bit, float/hdri and OSX support is a FilterMeister
                        restriction. I want to learn the Adobe SDK so that I can fix all of
                        those issues. At the rate I do my spare time projects, I am afraid
                        that might take a couple of years...