Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Cubic Conversion Plugin Update

  • Flemming V. Larsen
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
      From: "Mahmood Hamidi"
      > Hi,
      >
      > Thanks for your explanation but the fact is that I do create full
      > 360x180 panoramas and I do retouch the zenith and nadir and I do it in
      > Photoshop. I do all that using PTAdjust plugin for PS. To see how it
      > can be done is explained here:
      >
      > http://wiki.panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_filter

      Allthough I'm the man behind the above link I've used the SuperRune plugin
      for a long time.
      First of all because the nadir/zenith you get to work on isn't as
      distorted - when you have to deal with patterned floors it makes it much
      easier to cut and paste, using patch tools or alike to hide the tripod - and
      especially as the interface makes it easy to rotate the view so the patterns
      are hor/ver aligned.

      best regards

      Flemming
    • Mahmood Hamidi
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
        Thanks Flemming,
        This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
        A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
        So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
        therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
        Maybe Rune's tutorial link could also be put in the tutorial part of
        "wiki.panotools.org" too.

        Thanks,
        Mahmood
        http://stockholm360.net
        http://360cities.net/area/stockholm-sweden

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi" <mahmood_hamidi@...>
          wrote:

          > Thanks Flemming,
          > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
          > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
          > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
          > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.

          No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear images with adjust like you do
          with SuperRune.
          Flemming does it an untraditional way by just changing the full equirectangular view.
          The normal way is to extract rectilinear images, and as Adjust saves your settings
          automatically you can always use the same settings for it as long as you Equirectangular is
          the same size.
          It is just as fast as SuperRune. (which we do not have on Mac. )

          However the new patch option in Pano2VR is also nice but you need to learn the steps in
          it. You may easy end up with a crash or an equirectangular which is not at all updated if
          you make a single mistake.

          Hans

          > Maybe Rune's tutorial link could also be put in the tutorial part of
          > "wiki.panotools.org" too.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mahmood
          > http://stockholm360.net
          > http://360cities.net/area/stockholm-sweden
          >

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@>

        • Rune Spaans
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
            It would be great if you could call the plugin 'superSpheric' from now
            on! Example: "The superSpheric plugin did a nice/bad job of unwrapping
            my pano."

            SuperRune is my company name, and it's really weird to read about
            people using my company to unwrap panos!

            Sorry to be picky :)

            Cheers,
            (Super)Rune

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi" <mahmood_hamidi@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks Flemming,
            > > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
            > > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
            > > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
            > > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
            >
            > No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear
            images with adjust like you do
            > with SuperRune.
          • ptgroup
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 5, 2008
              Hello Rune
              I just tried Superspheric and found an severe error:
              - when I retransfer "supercubic reverse express" there are 2 rows of pixel
              missing.
              1 at the beginning (hm - say left side) and one on the end (say right side)
              of the pano.
              There is a red seam 180° long - from o - 180° HFOV, 2px wide just where the
              2 ends should fit together.

              Workflow:

              1 load image 7822 x 3911
              2 copy to a new layer
              3. run SuperCubic Express
              4. retouche the supbercubic generated layer 7822 x 3911
              5. run SuperCubix Reverse Express
              6. reduce layer - still 7822 x 3911
              7. save as tif

              Seam is generated.
              Tried the "No Express"- Version: same result .
              Size never differs - looks like a selection with a 2-3px feather is done to
              the whole image, then devided and reconstructed.
              You get a seam then too.

              Do I use a idiotic workflow ???
              Does anyone have the same experience ??

              Machine:
              AMD X26400, 3072 MB RAM, 500 GB HD (350 free), Windows XP SP2, PS CS2
              Background Progs: AVG AntiVir, PCTools Firewall, Outlook, Copernic, MSN,
              Active Sync
              Free RAM
              PS running and image loaded: 1,389 MB
              PS closed : 2,097 MB

              Someone an idea ???

              Thanks for every input

              ciao
              mike
              www.360de.de

              Mit freundlichen Grüssen
              HMS
              mailto: hmsmail@...
              Web: http://www.compulanz.de
              ----------------------------
              360° VR Fotografie:
              http://www.360de.de

              It would be great if you could call the plugin 'superSpheric' from now
              on! Example: "The superSpheric plugin did a nice/bad job of unwrapping
              my pano."

              SuperRune is my company name, and it's really weird to read about
              people using my company to unwrap panos!

              Sorry to be picky :)

              Cheers,
              (Super)Rune

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi" <mahmood_hamidi@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks Flemming,
              > > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
              > > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
              > > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
              > > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
              >
              > No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear
              images with adjust like you do
              > with SuperRune.

            • Rune Spaans
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 6, 2008
                Hi,

                Thanks a lot for reporting this. As you know, I also got your email.
                I'm not seeing this on my machine, but I'll send you some versions of
                the plugin to test. Together we should be able to solve this :)

                Thanks,
                Rune

                > Hello Rune
                > I just tried Superspheric and found an severe error:
                > - when I retransfer "supercubic reverse express" there are 2 rows of
                pixel
                > missing.
                > 1 at the beginning (hm - say left side) and one on the end (say
                right side)
                > of the pano.
                > There is a red seam 180° long - from o - 180° HFOV, 2px wide just
                where the
                > 2 ends should fit together.
                >
                > Workflow:
                >
                > 1 load image 7822 x 3911
                > 2 copy to a new layer
                > 3. run SuperCubic Express
                > 4. retouche the supbercubic generated layer 7822 x 3911
                > 5. run SuperCubix Reverse Express
                > 6. reduce layer - still 7822 x 3911
                > 7. save as tif
                >
                > Seam is generated.
                > Tried the "No Express"- Version: same result .
                > Size never differs - looks like a selection with a 2-3px feather is
                done to
                > the whole image, then devided and reconstructed.
                > You get a seam then too.
                >

                > Do I use a idiotic workflow ???
                > Does anyone have the same experience ??
                >
                > Machine:
                > AMD X26400, 3072 MB RAM, 500 GB HD (350 free), Windows XP SP2, PS CS2
                > Background Progs: AVG AntiVir, PCTools Firewall, Outlook, Copernic, MSN,
                > Active Sync
                > Free RAM
                > PS running and image loaded: 1,389 MB
                > PS closed : 2,097 MB
                >
                > Someone an idea ???
                >
                > Thanks for every input
                >
                > ciao
                > mike
                > www.360de.de

              • Rune Spaans
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                  Hi again!

                  I have uploaded a new version of the superSpheric plugin:
                  http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_3.zip

                  This version takes care of a small bug that resulted in the first
                  vertical line of the panorama not being converted. Thanks a lot to
                  Mike at 360de.de for reporting the bug and helping me testing this new
                  build.

                  Cheers,
                  Rune
                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 9, 2008
                    Thank you Rune! Quick bug fix. I love the new version which allows for
                    rendering bigger image dimensions than before.

                    Yours,
                    Michael

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rune Spaans" <rune@...> wrote:

                    > Hi again!
                    >
                    > I have uploaded a new version of the superSpheric plugin:
                    > http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_3.zip
                    >
                    > This version takes care of a small bug that resulted in the first
                    > vertical line of the panorama not being converted. Thanks a lot to
                    > Mike at 360de.de for reporting the bug and helping me testing this new
                    > build.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Rune

                  • Rune Spaans
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                      I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                      plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).

                      http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php

                      Cheers,
                      Rune

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rune Spaans" <rune@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I have updated my Cupic-to-Spheric-to-Cubic conversion plugin (which
                      > some of you mistakenly call the 'superrune' plugin). This is only a
                      > minor update, which means there is no Mac version and no float support
                      > yet. Sorry about that, I am working on both issues. At least it's
                      > still free, unless you decide to donate me a couple of dollars
                      > (recommended for further development).
                      >
                      > Here are the things that are changed:
                      >
                      > - Memory consumption should be improved. I have been able to convert
                      > panos up to 40.000 pixels wide on my machine.
                      >
                      > - The plugin is renamed to 'superSpheric', and appears under the
                      > 'SuperRune Filters' folder inside of Photoshop.
                      >
                      > I haven't put the plugin on my site yet, but you can download it here
                      > for now: http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_2.zip
                      >
                      > Let me know if there are any issues with it!
                      >
                      > I have figures out a workaround to the float limitation, and will be
                      > updating my website with a tutorial soon :)
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Rune

                    • Philipp B. Koch
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                        Rune Spaans schrieb:
                        > I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                        > plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).
                        >
                        > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Rune
                        Much appreciated, thanks Rune! It's a pity that it doesn't work on
                        64-bit Photoshop, but I guess that's a FilterMeister restriction?

                        Best regards, Philipp
                      • Rune Spaans
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:

                          > Rune Spaans schrieb:
                          > > I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                          > > plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).
                          > >
                          > > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php
                          > >
                          > > Cheers,
                          > > Rune
                          > Much appreciated, thanks Rune! It's a pity that it doesn't work on
                          > 64-bit Photoshop, but I guess that's a FilterMeister restriction?
                          >
                          > Best regards, Philipp

                          Yes, the lack of 16bit, float/hdri and OSX support is a FilterMeister
                          restriction. I want to learn the Adobe SDK so that I can fix all of
                          those issues. At the rate I do my spare time projects, I am afraid
                          that might take a couple of years...