Re: Cubic Conversion Plugin Update

  • Mahmood Hamidi
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
      Hi,

      Thanks for your explanation but the fact is that I do create full
      360x180 panoramas and I do retouch the zenith and nadir and I do it in
      Photoshop. I do all that using PTAdjust plugin for PS. To see how it
      can be done is explained here:

      http://wiki.panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_filter

      Now I am assuming that it might be faster, or easier or having other
      benefits using the SuperRune plugins, which I am interested to
      understnad.
      Maybe I should install these plugins too and test them and compare
      with Adjust plugin, then compare for myself...

      Regards,
      Mahmood

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rune Spaans" <rune@...> wrote:

      > I made the superSpheric plugin to reduce the number of steps involved
      > in creating full 360x280 degrees HDR panorama. Since my workflow is
      > Photoshop-centered I wanted a plugin for PS that would do idiot-proof
      > unwrapping of the zenith and nadir for retouching. If you're not doing
      > any retouching of those parts of you pano, and if you don't work in
      > Photoshop (or PS-compatible programs), there's probably little
      > benefit. Quite a lot of people seem to like it though :)
      >
      > Cheers,
      > SuperRune
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi"
      > <mahmood_hamidi@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > For someone who has always used Panotools plugin "PTAdjust",
      > > what benefit would SuperRune plugins offer?
      > > Better memory management, which would allow bigger images to be
      > > remapped or maybe faster operation or more accurate???
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rune Spaans" <rune@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I have updated my Cupic-to-Spheric-to-Cubic conversion plugin (which
      > > > some of you mistakenly call the 'superrune' plugin). This is only a
      > > > minor update, which means there is no Mac version and no float
      > > support
      > > > yet. Sorry about that, I am working on both issues. At least it's
      > > > still free, unless you decide to donate me a couple of dollars
      > > > (recommended for further development).
      > > >
      > > > Here are the things that are changed:
      > > >
      > > > - Memory consumption should be improved. I have been able to convert
      > > > panos up to 40.000 pixels wide on my machine.
      > > >
      > > > - The plugin is renamed to 'superSpheric', and appears under the
      > > > 'SuperRune Filters' folder inside of Photoshop.
      > > >
      > > > I haven't put the plugin on my site yet, but you can download it
      > > here
      > > > for now: http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_2.zip
      > > >
      > > > Let me know if there are any issues with it!
      > > >
      > > > I have figures out a workaround to the float limitation, and will be
      > > > updating my website with a tutorial soon :)
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Rune

    • Flemming V. Larsen
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
        From: "Mahmood Hamidi"
        > Hi,
        >
        > Thanks for your explanation but the fact is that I do create full
        > 360x180 panoramas and I do retouch the zenith and nadir and I do it in
        > Photoshop. I do all that using PTAdjust plugin for PS. To see how it
        > can be done is explained here:
        >
        > http://wiki.panotools.org/Edit_zenith_and_nadir_in_one_go_with_Adjust_filter

        Allthough I'm the man behind the above link I've used the SuperRune plugin
        for a long time.
        First of all because the nadir/zenith you get to work on isn't as
        distorted - when you have to deal with patterned floors it makes it much
        easier to cut and paste, using patch tools or alike to hide the tripod - and
        especially as the interface makes it easy to rotate the view so the patterns
        are hor/ver aligned.

        best regards

        Flemming
      • Mahmood Hamidi
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
          Thanks Flemming,
          This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
          A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
          So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
          therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
          Maybe Rune's tutorial link could also be put in the tutorial part of
          "wiki.panotools.org" too.

          Thanks,
          Mahmood
          http://stockholm360.net
          http://360cities.net/area/stockholm-sweden

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
            wrote:

            > Thanks Flemming,
            > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
            > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
            > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
            > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.

            No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear images with adjust like you do
            with SuperRune.
            Flemming does it an untraditional way by just changing the full equirectangular view.
            The normal way is to extract rectilinear images, and as Adjust saves your settings
            automatically you can always use the same settings for it as long as you Equirectangular is
            the same size.
            It is just as fast as SuperRune. (which we do not have on Mac. )

            However the new patch option in Pano2VR is also nice but you need to learn the steps in
            it. You may easy end up with a crash or an equirectangular which is not at all updated if
            you make a single mistake.

            Hans

            > Maybe Rune's tutorial link could also be put in the tutorial part of
            > "wiki.panotools.org" too.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Mahmood
            > http://stockholm360.net
            > http://360cities.net/area/stockholm-sweden
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@>

          • Rune Spaans
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 2, 2008
              It would be great if you could call the plugin 'superSpheric' from now
              on! Example: "The superSpheric plugin did a nice/bad job of unwrapping
              my pano."

              SuperRune is my company name, and it's really weird to read about
              people using my company to unwrap panos!

              Sorry to be picky :)

              Cheers,
              (Super)Rune

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi" <mahmood_hamidi@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks Flemming,
              > > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
              > > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
              > > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
              > > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
              >
              > No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear
              images with adjust like you do
              > with SuperRune.
            • ptgroup
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 5, 2008
                Hello Rune
                I just tried Superspheric and found an severe error:
                - when I retransfer "supercubic reverse express" there are 2 rows of pixel
                missing.
                1 at the beginning (hm - say left side) and one on the end (say right side)
                of the pano.
                There is a red seam 180° long - from o - 180° HFOV, 2px wide just where the
                2 ends should fit together.

                Workflow:

                1 load image 7822 x 3911
                2 copy to a new layer
                3. run SuperCubic Express
                4. retouche the supbercubic generated layer 7822 x 3911
                5. run SuperCubix Reverse Express
                6. reduce layer - still 7822 x 3911
                7. save as tif

                Seam is generated.
                Tried the "No Express"- Version: same result .
                Size never differs - looks like a selection with a 2-3px feather is done to
                the whole image, then devided and reconstructed.
                You get a seam then too.

                Do I use a idiotic workflow ???
                Does anyone have the same experience ??

                Machine:
                AMD X26400, 3072 MB RAM, 500 GB HD (350 free), Windows XP SP2, PS CS2
                Background Progs: AVG AntiVir, PCTools Firewall, Outlook, Copernic, MSN,
                Active Sync
                Free RAM
                PS running and image loaded: 1,389 MB
                PS closed : 2,097 MB

                Someone an idea ???

                Thanks for every input

                ciao
                mike
                www.360de.de

                Mit freundlichen Grüssen
                HMS
                mailto: hmsmail@...
                Web: http://www.compulanz.de
                ----------------------------
                360° VR Fotografie:
                http://www.360de.de

                It would be great if you could call the plugin 'superSpheric' from now
                on! Example: "The superSpheric plugin did a nice/bad job of unwrapping
                my pano."

                SuperRune is my company name, and it's really weird to read about
                people using my company to unwrap panos!

                Sorry to be picky :)

                Cheers,
                (Super)Rune

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mahmood Hamidi" <mahmood_hamidi@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Flemming,
                > > This is indeed kind of answer I was hoping to get.
                > > A comparison between the two plugins from someone who has used both.
                > > So the converted nadir/zenith is less distorted using S.Rune and
                > > therefore easier to patch compared with adjust.
                >
                > No not at all. You can extract perfectly straight rectilinear
                images with adjust like you do
                > with SuperRune.

              • Rune Spaans
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 6, 2008
                  Hi,

                  Thanks a lot for reporting this. As you know, I also got your email.
                  I'm not seeing this on my machine, but I'll send you some versions of
                  the plugin to test. Together we should be able to solve this :)

                  Thanks,
                  Rune

                  > Hello Rune
                  > I just tried Superspheric and found an severe error:
                  > - when I retransfer "supercubic reverse express" there are 2 rows of
                  pixel
                  > missing.
                  > 1 at the beginning (hm - say left side) and one on the end (say
                  right side)
                  > of the pano.
                  > There is a red seam 180° long - from o - 180° HFOV, 2px wide just
                  where the
                  > 2 ends should fit together.
                  >
                  > Workflow:
                  >
                  > 1 load image 7822 x 3911
                  > 2 copy to a new layer
                  > 3. run SuperCubic Express
                  > 4. retouche the supbercubic generated layer 7822 x 3911
                  > 5. run SuperCubix Reverse Express
                  > 6. reduce layer - still 7822 x 3911
                  > 7. save as tif
                  >
                  > Seam is generated.
                  > Tried the "No Express"- Version: same result .
                  > Size never differs - looks like a selection with a 2-3px feather is
                  done to
                  > the whole image, then devided and reconstructed.
                  > You get a seam then too.
                  >

                  > Do I use a idiotic workflow ???
                  > Does anyone have the same experience ??
                  >
                  > Machine:
                  > AMD X26400, 3072 MB RAM, 500 GB HD (350 free), Windows XP SP2, PS CS2
                  > Background Progs: AVG AntiVir, PCTools Firewall, Outlook, Copernic, MSN,
                  > Active Sync
                  > Free RAM
                  > PS running and image loaded: 1,389 MB
                  > PS closed : 2,097 MB
                  >
                  > Someone an idea ???
                  >
                  > Thanks for every input
                  >
                  > ciao
                  > mike
                  > www.360de.de

                • Rune Spaans
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 8, 2008
                    Hi again!

                    I have uploaded a new version of the superSpheric plugin:
                    http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_3.zip

                    This version takes care of a small bug that resulted in the first
                    vertical line of the panorama not being converted. Thanks a lot to
                    Mike at 360de.de for reporting the bug and helping me testing this new
                    build.

                    Cheers,
                    Rune
                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 9, 2008
                      Thank you Rune! Quick bug fix. I love the new version which allows for
                      rendering bigger image dimensions than before.

                      Yours,
                      Michael

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rune Spaans" <rune@...> wrote:

                      > Hi again!
                      >
                      > I have uploaded a new version of the superSpheric plugin:
                      > http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_3.zip
                      >
                      > This version takes care of a small bug that resulted in the first
                      > vertical line of the panorama not being converted. Thanks a lot to
                      > Mike at 360de.de for reporting the bug and helping me testing this new
                      > build.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Rune

                    • Rune Spaans
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                        I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                        plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).

                        http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php

                        Cheers,
                        Rune

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rune Spaans" <rune@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I have updated my Cupic-to-Spheric-to-Cubic conversion plugin (which
                        > some of you mistakenly call the 'superrune' plugin). This is only a
                        > minor update, which means there is no Mac version and no float support
                        > yet. Sorry about that, I am working on both issues. At least it's
                        > still free, unless you decide to donate me a couple of dollars
                        > (recommended for further development).
                        >
                        > Here are the things that are changed:
                        >
                        > - Memory consumption should be improved. I have been able to convert
                        > panos up to 40.000 pixels wide on my machine.
                        >
                        > - The plugin is renamed to 'superSpheric', and appears under the
                        > 'SuperRune Filters' folder inside of Photoshop.
                        >
                        > I haven't put the plugin on my site yet, but you can download it here
                        > for now: http://www.superrune.com/technical/supercubic_v1_1_2.zip
                        >
                        > Let me know if there are any issues with it!
                        >
                        > I have figures out a workaround to the float limitation, and will be
                        > updating my website with a tutorial soon :)
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Rune

                      • Philipp B. Koch
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                          Rune Spaans schrieb:
                          > I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                          > plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).
                          >
                          > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Rune
                          Much appreciated, thanks Rune! It's a pity that it doesn't work on
                          64-bit Photoshop, but I guess that's a FilterMeister restriction?

                          Best regards, Philipp
                        • Rune Spaans
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 28, 2009
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:

                            > Rune Spaans schrieb:
                            > > I have finally found time to update the web page for my superCubic
                            > > plugin (which I have mistakenly called superSpheric in here, Doh!).
                            > >
                            > > http://www.superrune.com/technical/software_supercubic.php
                            > >
                            > > Cheers,
                            > > Rune
                            > Much appreciated, thanks Rune! It's a pity that it doesn't work on
                            > 64-bit Photoshop, but I guess that's a FilterMeister restriction?
                            >
                            > Best regards, Philipp

                            Yes, the lack of 16bit, float/hdri and OSX support is a FilterMeister
                            restriction. I want to learn the Adobe SDK so that I can fix all of
                            those issues. At the rate I do my spare time projects, I am afraid
                            that might take a couple of years...