Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Any old / unused Canon S60s out there?

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
      On 02/12/2008, at 9:10 AM, Alan Ball wrote:
      > 1. Do the units have to be Canon S60's, or can they be one of Canon's
      > other S series cameras?

      By preference yes. I know they are supported by the remote control
      software we are looking at (gPhoto) and have seen a similar setup to
      what we have planned using 4 of them with gPhoto so I know they will
      work for the project. Other cameras might work better ... or might
      not work at all within the software/hardware/environment!

      > 2. Do the cosmetics matter? Does it matter if some of the markings
      > are worn off or the unit has a few small dings or scratches or the
      > finish is worn through in spots? I have a friend who has worn the
      > markings off her Canon S45 mode dial.

      Cosmetics don't matter at all. They are going to be sealed in a
      weather proof enclosure somewhere between 10' and 30' off the ground.
      What's important is that the units are still fully functional and can
      respond to remote software (so a broken usb port would be an issue).

      > 3. Can certain functions be missing, e.g., a non-functional flash
      > unit, and still be acceptable? Are a few hot/dead pixels acceptable?

      Flash not wanted. A few hot/dead pixels would not be a huge problem,
      esp if they were in the stitching overlap areas.

      > 4. Are you looking for donations or are you willing to buy them? Are
      > you willing to pay shipping? If so, about how much?

      No, not looking for donations at all :-) (although I would never say
      "no" :)
      I *just* missed out on a unit on ebay.com.au last night that went
      down for $81AU ($52 US at todays exchange rate) so that's the ball-
      park figure I'm working around and off course I will pay reasonable
      freight (expedited UPS to Australia is NOT reasonable :-)

      Cheers,
      KathyW.
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
        There's six on eBay USA. Most are for $100 USD but the
        shipping would be a killer....

        Kathy Wheeler wrote:
        > On 02/12/2008, at 9:10 AM, Alan Ball wrote:
        >
        >>1. Do the units have to be Canon S60's, or can they be one of Canon's
        >>other S series cameras?
        >

        > By preference yes. I know they are supported by the remote control
        > software we are looking at (gPhoto) and have seen a similar setup to
        > what we have planned using 4 of them with gPhoto so I know they will
        > work for the project. Other cameras might work better ... or might
        > not work at all within the software/hardware/environment!
        >

        >>2. Do the cosmetics matter? Does it matter if some of the markings
        >>are worn off or the unit has a few small dings or scratches or the
        >>finish is worn through in spots? I have a friend who has worn the
        >>markings off her Canon S45 mode dial.
        >

        > Cosmetics don't matter at all. They are going to be sealed in a
        > weather proof enclosure somewhere between 10' and 30' off the ground.
        > What's important is that the units are still fully functional and can
        > respond to remote software (so a broken usb port would be an issue).
        >

        >>3. Can certain functions be missing, e.g., a non-functional flash
        >>unit, and still be acceptable? Are a few hot/dead pixels acceptable?
        >

        > Flash not wanted. A few hot/dead pixels would not be a huge problem,
        > esp if they were in the stitching overlap areas.
        >

        >>4. Are you looking for donations or are you willing to buy them? Are
        >>you willing to pay shipping? If so, about how much?
        >

        > No, not looking for donations at all :-) (although I would never say
        > "no" :)
        > I *just* missed out on a unit on ebay.com.au last night that went
        > down for $81AU ($52 US at todays exchange rate) so that's the ball-
        > park figure I'm working around and off course I will pay reasonable
        > freight (expedited UPS to Australia is NOT reasonable :-)
        >
        > Cheers,
        > KathyW.

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
          BTW: I noticed that gPhoto supports 1000 cameras
          so you have a lot of choices...