Any old / unused Canon S60s out there?

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hi folks.

      Looking for a number of Canon S60's for a project. Anyone have any
      old or unused (but still working) units they no longer need? If so
      please contact me off list.

      Cheers,
      KathyW.
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008
        EBay....

        Kathy Wheeler wrote:
        > Hi folks.
        >
        > Looking for a number of Canon S60's for a project. Anyone have any
        > old or unused (but still working) units they no longer need? If so
        > please contact me off list.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > KathyW.

      • Alan Ball
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...> wrote:

          > Looking for a number of Canon S60's for a project. Anyone have any
          > old or unused (but still working) units they no longer need?

          I don't have any suitable equipment, but a couple of things came to
          mind that possible donors/vendors might be interested in:

          1. Do the units have to be Canon S60's, or can they be one of Canon's
          other S series cameras?

          2. Do the cosmetics matter? Does it matter if some of the markings
          are worn off or the unit has a few small dings or scratches or the
          finish is worn through in spots? I have a friend who has worn the
          markings off her Canon S45 mode dial.

          3. Can certain functions be missing, e.g., a non-functional flash
          unit, and still be acceptable? Are a few hot/dead pixels acceptable?

          4. Are you looking for donations or are you willing to buy them? Are
          you willing to pay shipping? If so, about how much?

          Alan Ball
          scoundrel1728
        • Kathy Wheeler
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
            On 02/12/2008, at 9:10 AM, Alan Ball wrote:
            > 1. Do the units have to be Canon S60's, or can they be one of Canon's
            > other S series cameras?

            By preference yes. I know they are supported by the remote control
            software we are looking at (gPhoto) and have seen a similar setup to
            what we have planned using 4 of them with gPhoto so I know they will
            work for the project. Other cameras might work better ... or might
            not work at all within the software/hardware/environment!

            > 2. Do the cosmetics matter? Does it matter if some of the markings
            > are worn off or the unit has a few small dings or scratches or the
            > finish is worn through in spots? I have a friend who has worn the
            > markings off her Canon S45 mode dial.

            Cosmetics don't matter at all. They are going to be sealed in a
            weather proof enclosure somewhere between 10' and 30' off the ground.
            What's important is that the units are still fully functional and can
            respond to remote software (so a broken usb port would be an issue).

            > 3. Can certain functions be missing, e.g., a non-functional flash
            > unit, and still be acceptable? Are a few hot/dead pixels acceptable?

            Flash not wanted. A few hot/dead pixels would not be a huge problem,
            esp if they were in the stitching overlap areas.

            > 4. Are you looking for donations or are you willing to buy them? Are
            > you willing to pay shipping? If so, about how much?

            No, not looking for donations at all :-) (although I would never say
            "no" :)
            I *just* missed out on a unit on ebay.com.au last night that went
            down for $81AU ($52 US at todays exchange rate) so that's the ball-
            park figure I'm working around and off course I will pay reasonable
            freight (expedited UPS to Australia is NOT reasonable :-)

            Cheers,
            KathyW.
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
              There's six on eBay USA. Most are for $100 USD but the
              shipping would be a killer....

              Kathy Wheeler wrote:
              > On 02/12/2008, at 9:10 AM, Alan Ball wrote:
              >
              >>1. Do the units have to be Canon S60's, or can they be one of Canon's
              >>other S series cameras?
              >

              > By preference yes. I know they are supported by the remote control
              > software we are looking at (gPhoto) and have seen a similar setup to
              > what we have planned using 4 of them with gPhoto so I know they will
              > work for the project. Other cameras might work better ... or might
              > not work at all within the software/hardware/environment!
              >

              >>2. Do the cosmetics matter? Does it matter if some of the markings
              >>are worn off or the unit has a few small dings or scratches or the
              >>finish is worn through in spots? I have a friend who has worn the
              >>markings off her Canon S45 mode dial.
              >

              > Cosmetics don't matter at all. They are going to be sealed in a
              > weather proof enclosure somewhere between 10' and 30' off the ground.
              > What's important is that the units are still fully functional and can
              > respond to remote software (so a broken usb port would be an issue).
              >

              >>3. Can certain functions be missing, e.g., a non-functional flash
              >>unit, and still be acceptable? Are a few hot/dead pixels acceptable?
              >

              > Flash not wanted. A few hot/dead pixels would not be a huge problem,
              > esp if they were in the stitching overlap areas.
              >

              >>4. Are you looking for donations or are you willing to buy them? Are
              >>you willing to pay shipping? If so, about how much?
              >

              > No, not looking for donations at all :-) (although I would never say
              > "no" :)
              > I *just* missed out on a unit on ebay.com.au last night that went
              > down for $81AU ($52 US at todays exchange rate) so that's the ball-
              > park figure I'm working around and off course I will pay reasonable
              > freight (expedited UPS to Australia is NOT reasonable :-)
              >
              > Cheers,
              > KathyW.

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
                BTW: I noticed that gPhoto supports 1000 cameras
                so you have a lot of choices...