Turkish barber panorama

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
      It took me a while to get around to it, but I've finally stitched a
      pano I shot while waiting to be shaved in a small Turkish barber last
      August. Tomorrow I must send an email off to the guy in the barber's
      chair; he wanted to know when he could see the finished thing!

      http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/turkey/

      There are a number of things I liked about this place - tiny with a
      hardboard floor, plants growing in the side window, the way
      everything's crammed in, the humour of the barber... I'll sort out a
      proper index page for the Turkey section when I get a chance, but
      this will do for now.

      Comments welcome!

    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
        Nice panoNice retouch to take you out :-)
        But you forgot that the little boy was not sitted, so we can see him
        standing behind the other guy reflected on the mirror :-)

        BUT this is only for our eyes ...

        Normal people will LOVE the pano !
        Congratulations Keith

        best regards
        AYRTON

        On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

        > It took me a while to get around to it, but I've finally stitched a
        > pano I shot while waiting to be shaved in a small Turkish barber last
        > August. Tomorrow I must send an email off to the guy in the barber's
        > chair; he wanted to know when he could see the finished thing!
        >
        > http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/turkey/
        >
        > There are a number of things I liked about this place - tiny with a
        > hardboard floor, plants growing in the side window, the way
        > everything's crammed in, the humour of the barber... I'll sort out a
        > proper index page for the Turkey section when I get a chance, but
        > this will do for now.
        >
        > Comments welcome!

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
        ------------

        + 55 21 9982 6313

        http://ayrton360.com
        http://rio.360cities.net
        http://vrfolio.com
        http://ayrton.com

      • Fabio Bustamante
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 29, 2008
          Great job with the mirror!

          Now tell us the truth: were you there for a shave or for the "full body
          massage"? :-)

          The perfect soundtrack for this pano would be the virtual barbershop!
          Take a look if you don't know it:

          http://www.sajithmr.com/downloads/Barbershop.mp3

          Hearing with headphones and closing your eyes is mandatory.

          Keith Martin wrote:
          > It took me a while to get around to it, but I've finally stitched a
          > pano I shot while waiting to be shaved in a small Turkish barber last
          > August. Tomorrow I must send an email off to the guy in the barber's
          > chair; he wanted to know when he could see the finished thing!
          >
          > http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/turkey/
          >
          > There are a number of things I liked about this place - tiny with a
          > hardboard floor, plants growing in the side window, the way
          > everything's crammed in, the humour of the barber... I'll sort out a
          > proper index page for the Turkey section when I get a chance, but
          > this will do for now.
          >
          > Comments welcome!

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
            >we can see him
            >standing behind the other guy reflected on the mirror :-)

            Whoops! That is very careless of me. :-)
            That's what comes of finishing it so late at night - I miss obvious
            things. (Doh!)

            It will be gone shortly.

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
              Sometime around 30/11/08 (at 00:53 -0200) Fabio Bustamante said:

              >tell us the truth: were you there for a shave or for the "full body
              >massage"? :-)

              Heh. Just the shave, honest! Although I still ended up getting a
              head, shoulders, arms and hands massage too. And the aftershave (the
              bottle with the yellow lid) seemed like it was made literally from
              lemons and pure alcohol - lovely, but after such a close cutthroat
              razor shave... ouch!

              I got a shave there last year too. (Yes I went back to the same part
              of Turkey, hadn't explored it all the first time.) It was in the
              evening after the sun had set, and just after he'd finished the whole
              street lost power and we were in almost pitch darkness. I'm glad he
              wasn't still shaving when that happened!

              The virtual barbershop is very good - I do like those binaural
              recordings. It would be amazing to tie that sort of recording in with
              viewing panos on a tilt/turn 'vr' headset!

              Anyway, the boy is no longer visible in the mirror - thanks Ayrton!
              The reflected seat is empty, which isn't strictly right, but I can
              live with that minor divergence from 'single instant reality'.

              > > http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/turkey/

              I had to remove my feet and tripod legs from the mirror down by the
              door as well as from the rear mirror and reflective counter top, and
              I used a flipped part of the window to remove the pano head and
              camera from the main mirror shot. A bit fiddly to prepare, but the
              stitch itself went very smoothly.

              I used the alpha channel mask technique to control what parts get
              used in PTGui's output, and that has proved to be much more efficient
              than stitching to layered output and playing with masks in the final
              equirect. Very nice - my thanks to whoever mentioned that!

            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
                Hi Keith,

                I also just took a look at the paragliding shot you did. Nice.

                My wife and I jumped off that same hill back in 2000 and floated all
                the way down to the beach. Excellent fun and the drive up was just as
                exciting. I had a video camera at the time so just left it running
                during the flight.

                Did the pilot do the 'spiral' thing for you? I would have thrown up
                but my wife went for it.

                Andrew

                > It took me a while to get around to it, but I've finally stitched a
                > pano I shot while waiting to be shaved in a small Turkish barber last
                > August. Tomorrow I must send an email off to the guy in the barber's
                > chair; he wanted to know when he could see the finished thing!
                >
                > http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/turkey/
                >
                > There are a number of things I liked about this place - tiny with a
                > hardboard floor, plants growing in the side window, the way
                > everything's crammed in, the humour of the barber... I'll sort out a
                > proper index page for the Turkey section when I get a chance, but
                > this will do for now.
                >
                > Comments welcome!

              • Peter Braatz
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
                  Hi Keith,
                  ... i had the same experience in october in Vietnam at a barner we visited (me being behind
                  the camera): http://www.360pixel.de/360pixel/2008/10/15/vietnam-53-wir-gehen-zum-
                  friseur/
                  We got a massage for the neck, ears and back after the shave and experienced a very
                  obscure way to clean the ears inside...

                  Cheers - Peter/360pixel.de
                • John Riley
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
                    On Nov 30, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Keith Martin wrote:
                    > Anyway, the boy is no longer visible in the mirror - thanks Ayrton!
                    > The reflected seat is empty, which isn't strictly right, but I can
                    > live with that minor divergence from 'single instant reality'.

                    Believe it or not, you still have one stray instance of the shirtless
                    boy! You can see him standing behind you if you look at the mirror
                    sitting at an angle at the left end of the counter.

                    With all that moving around for multiple appearances in the pano, I
                    am left wondering if he might be related to Patrick Cheatham, LOL!
                    If you have seen panos from the various IVRPA/ Pano Summit meetings,
                    you will know what I mean.

                    On Nov 30, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Peter Braatz wrote:
                    > Hi Keith,
                    > ... i had the same experience in october in Vietnam at a barber we
                    > visited (me being behind
                    > the camera): http://www.360pixel.de/360pixel/2008/10/15/vietnam-53-
                    > wir-gehen-zum-
                    > friseur/
                    > We got a massage for the neck, ears and back after the shave and
                    > experienced a very
                    > obscure way to clean the ears inside...
                    >
                    > Cheers - Peter/360pixel.de

                    Hmm, we seem to have a theme going here. Anyone else gone to a
                    barber shop / massage parlor in an interesting country? Maybe we
                    should have a rule that, any time we travel abroad, we must take a
                    pano while getting shaved? Perhaps they will still use straight
                    razors, which I miss here. They aren't allowed where I live due to
                    health regulations. Nothing quite like the feel of someone putting a
                    scary-sharp blade against your open neck. It always made me remember
                    the scene in My Name is Nobody (by Sergio Leone) where Henry Fonda is
                    about to get a shave from a gunslinger masquerading as the barber.
                    When the guy is about to cut this throat, Fonda cocks his hidden
                    pistol, aimed right at the guy's crotch. Great movie.

                    Oh, and Peter: what the heck did they do in your ear?

                    John

                    John Riley
                    johnriley@...
                    jriley@...

                  • AYRTON
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 30, 2008
                      On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:21 AM, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:

                      > Oh, and Peter: what the heck did they do in your ear?

                      NO !
                      Please Peter, do not answer that !!!
                      Not in a public list
                      :-)

                      AYRTON

                      > John
                      >

                      > John Riley
                      > johnriley@...
                      > jriley@...

                      ------------
                      | A Y R |
                      | T O N |
                      ------------

                      + 55 21 9982 6313

                      http://ayrton360.com
                      http://rio.360cities.net
                      http://vrfolio.com
                      http://ayrton.com

                    • Peter Braatz
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008

                        > On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:21 AM, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Oh, and Peter: what the heck did they do in your ear?
                        >
                        > > NO !
                        > Please Peter, do not answer that !!!
                        > Not in a public list
                        > :-)

                        No - i won´t :-)
                        (Anybody interested could translate the text written in german from my site...)

                        Cheers - Peter
                      • Keith Martin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                          >you still have one stray instance of the shirtless
                          >boy!

                          Hah! You're right.
                          Dagnabbit...

                          >Anyone else gone to a
                          >barber shop / massage parlor in an interesting country?

                          I have an older pano of my local barber shop at
                          http://www.panoramapostcards.co.uk/vr/johnny_barber/ (resizes browser
                          window), but I can't imagine taking photos in a massage parlor would,
                          er, go down too well with the owner...

                          >Oh, and Peter: what the heck did they do in your ear?

                          Don't know if Peter had the same experience, but on my first visit to
                          the Sugar Barber the guy used a bit of wire with cotton wool at the
                          end, dipped in methylated spirits and set alight. He waved it around,
                          bouncing it off my ears, I guess to singe off stray hairs. Weird...

                        • Bruce Hemming
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                            I've had the Turkish shave - but not the haircut - and the massage
                            ( very good for hangovers) but that was in Marmaris -very similar set
                            up though. As a contribution to barber shops here's one I did
                            earlier <http://www.bhphoto.biz/TEST/barber.html>

                            Not a working barbers but a set up in a memories museum - nicely in
                            period though ( 50's) I remember going to one almost exactly like
                            this when I was a child.

                            Best

                            Bruce

                            Bruce Hemming
                            Bruce Hemming Photography
                            Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                            Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                            e-Mail: bruce@...
                            Skype: bhemmingphoto
                            web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/

                            This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally
                            privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please advise
                            bruce@.... Dissemination, distribution, copying or other use
                            is strictly prohibited. The reliability of this method of
                            communication cannot be guaranteed. It can be intercepted, corrupted,
                            delayed, may arrive incomplete, contain viruses or be affected by
                            other interference. Bruce Hemming Photography has taken all
                            reasonable steps to reduce risks against viruses but cannot accept
                            liability for any damage sustained as a result of this transmission.

                          • Caroling Geary
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                              This is getting to be like a game: "Find the bad boy". Alternatively,
                              how about putting the boy back in everywhere he moves to reflect the
                              time dimension?

                              On Dec 1, 2008, at 2:17 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

                              >> you still have one stray instance of the shirtless
                              >> boy!
                              >
                              > Hah! You're right.
                              > Dagnabbit...

                              Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net
                            • huckrorick
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                                Can you tell me what viewer you used on this
                                http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/turkey/ ?

                                thanks,

                                Huck

                              • panokaemena@mac.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                                  right click on the panorama will tell you... FPP

                                  Willy Kaemena

                                  http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
                                  http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
                                  http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
                                  http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

                                  On Dec 1, 2008, at 14:17, huckrorick wrote:

                                  > Can you tell me what viewer you used on this
                                  > http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/turkey/ ?
                                  >
                                  > thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Huck
                                  >
                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > >you still have one stray instance of the shirtless
                                  > > >boy!
                                  > >
                                  > > Hah! You're right.
                                  > > Dagnabbit...
                                  > >

                                  > > >Anyone else gone to a
                                  > > >barber shop / massage parlor in an interesting country?
                                  > >
                                  > > I have an older pano of my local barber shop at
                                  > > http://www.panoramapostcards.co.uk/vr/johnny_barber/ (resizes
                                  > browser
                                  > > window), but I can't imagine taking photos in a massage parlor
                                  > would,
                                  > > er, go down too well with the owner...
                                  > >

                                  > > >Oh, and Peter: what the heck did they do in your ear?
                                  > >
                                  > > Don't know if Peter had the same experience, but on my first visit
                                  > > the Sugar Barber the guy used a bit of wire with cotton wool at the
                                  > > end, dipped in methylated spirits and set alight. He waved it
                                  > around,
                                  > > bouncing it off my ears, I guess to singe off stray hairs. Weird...

                                  Willy Kaemena
                                  (0049) 0177 327 2935

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                                    Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 06:49 -0600) Caroling Geary said:

                                    >This is getting to be like a game: "Find the bad boy".

                                    Isn't it just? I'm feeling thoroughly shamed! I'd put him back in
                                    everywhere as you suggest, but he was in quite a few shots. It would
                                    start to look like the fun everyone has when they first make panos
                                    and want to duplicate people all over the place. :-)

                                    I think I'll just fix that and quietly move on...

                                  • Keith Martin
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                                      Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 13:17 +0000) huckrorick said:

                                      >Can you tell me what viewer you used on this
                                      >http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/turkey/ ?

                                      Hi Huck,

                                      That's Flash Panorama Player. If you right-click/control-click the
                                      pano the first item in the popup menu should be "About Flash Panorama
                                      Player"; choosing that takes you to the FPP home page.

                                      This is just one of the current available Flash players of course...
                                      I also use Pano2VR to make Flash pano files sometimes.
                                      And when I can figure out how to get started with KRPano I'm going to
                                      try that as well. (Tips that don't involve ActionScript are most
                                      welcome..!)

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                                        Keith Martin wrote:
                                        > And when I can figure out how to get started with KRPano I'm going to
                                        > try that as well. (Tips that don't involve ActionScript are most
                                        > welcome..!)

                                        You might require some XML, but there is even an integrated editor, that
                                        lets you specify all necessary variables interactively: Choose either
                                        panorama you want from krpano.com (f.e.
                                        http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pano=panos/kirche/kirche.xml ). If you
                                        click the [editor] link you can edit XML, hotspots and lensflare, if you
                                        click the small triangle in the upper right corner, you can
                                        interactively adjust viewing parameters.

                                        To get started read http://www.krpano.com/docu/usage/

                                      • Keith Martin
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                                          Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 21:26 +0100) Erik Krause said:

                                          >You might require some XML, but there is even an integrated editor

                                          Hot dog. :-)
                                          Thanks Erik, that's far, far more encouraging than the last
                                          KR-related response I got to a query.

                                        • ptgroup
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                                            Keith,
                                            as many in the group I also have a "Turkish Barbershop"
                                            Not that good- skills where not that educated during that times and
                                            the resolution is low for the internet though.

                                            But just for fun:
                                            http://tinyurl.com/645tcf

                                            Some more Turkish Craftsmen:
                                            http://tinyurl.com/62fqrr

                                            Hope you enjoy it :)
                                            ----------------------------
                                            360° VR Fotografie
                                            http://www.360de.de

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
                                              Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 22:57 +0100) ptgroup said:

                                              >Hope you enjoy it :)

                                              Very much, thanks! Another fascinating barber pano and more, and a
                                              good job done with some tough detailed subjects too.

                                              It is funny how a number of us have thought to capture barber shops
                                              at once time or another. Does anyone else have any?

                                              I sometimes get a haircut in a local barber when I'm travelling. I've
                                              found it can be a great way to really get the feel for somewhere. One
                                              place in Arizona told me so much local gossip that I felt I could
                                              greet everyone I walked past when I came out! And another in some
                                              obscure town in North Carolina seemed to be owned and run by
                                              semi-reformed Hells Angels - who were incredibly welcoming, BTW. I
                                              wish I'd been taking panos back then.