Automatic viewer selection

  • Uri Cogan
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008
      I intend to convert my web site to offer panoramas in both flavours:
      QTVR and Flash.

      This raises some questions for me:

      1. is there a simple way to detect the client's viewer and automatically
      display the appropriate panorama with one click on the thumbnail?

      2. possibly do even better - display say, QTVR as default, but
      automatically fall back to Flash if the client does not have the QT plugin.

      3. I have some vague memory of a way to upload only one version of the
      panorama (cube faces?) to the server and let the viewer's browser, or
      something else parse and display the pano. If so, how?

      All tips and suggestions are welcome :-)

      Uri.
    • aiwetir
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008
        hi

        devalvr.com has a detectvr javascript file that will solve questions
        one and two. i use it on my site http://pdxvr.com

        question three is a bit harder as qt won't show a folder of
        cubefaces. fpp has a movie decoder swf which works on everything but
        very old machines (if you don't mind losing students in low-middle
        income school districts). krpano and fpp can use a php script to
        automagically convert the movie to cubefaces, but if you don't know
        php, you might be better off with the movdecoder.swf or using cubefaces.

        mmm
        http://pdxvr.com

        On 29 Nov 2008, at 17:26, Uri Cogan wrote:

        > I intend to convert my web site to offer panoramas in both flavours:
        > QTVR and Flash.
        >
        > This raises some questions for me:
        >
        > 1. is there a simple way to detect the client's viewer and
        > automatically
        > display the appropriate panorama with one click on the thumbnail?
        >
        > 2. possibly do even better - display say, QTVR as default, but
        > automatically fall back to Flash if the client does not have the QT
        > plugin.
        >
        > 3. I have some vague memory of a way to upload only one version of the
        > panorama (cube faces?) to the server and let the viewer's browser, or
        > something else parse and display the pano. If so, how?
        >
        > All tips and suggestions are welcome :-)
        >
        > Uri.

      • fierodeval
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008
          Hi Uri,

          The Javascript that aiwetir said is
          http://www.devalvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1765

          regards!
          fiero

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
            Uri Cogan wrote:
            > 3. I have some vague memory of a way to upload only one version of the
            > panorama (cube faces?) to the server and let the viewer's browser, or
            > something else parse and display the pano. If so, how?

            To my knowledge there is no solution to assemble a QTVR from cube faces
            on the fly, but the other way round is possible. To decode a QTVR file
            for flash you can use either movdecoder.swf together with FPP,
            qtkrparse.php together with krpano or qtzrparse.php with panosalado. For
            the latter two you need PHP working on your server. Panosalado is open
            source, the other two players commercial.

            PanoSalado: http://flashpanos.com/blog/79
            qtzrparse.php:
            http://flashpanos.com/content/panosalado-now-supports-qtvr-panoramas
            krpano: http://www.krpano.com/