reworked vr, opinions please

  • aiwetir
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
      hi all,

      i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
      i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
      opinions please

      these are about 7.4 mb each, if you want something smaller, simply
      remove the -hi at the end of the url.

      reworked version
      http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-257-hi

      initial version
      http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-199-hi

      thanks,
      mmm
      http://pdxvr.com
    • Ingemar Bergmark
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, aiwetir <aiwetir@...> wrote:

        > hi all,
        >
        > i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
        > i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
        > opinions please

        I guess it all depends what kind of feeling you want to convey to the
        viewer...
        Personally I prefer the initial version. It's more realistic and
        creates a magical feeling that's unfortunately lost in the reworked
        version. The reworked version has lost the subtle blue in the sky and
        leaves me with an overexposed feeling. Also the lighting/color
        saturation has become too harsh for my taste.

        So again, the initial version gets my vote.

        Cheers,
        Ingemar
        http://panographer.net
      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
          I liked both :-)I hate this, whenever we get to a point wherer gets
          difficult to choose between two versions

          best
          AYRTON

          On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 7:53 AM, aiwetir <aiwetir@...> wrote:

          > hi all,
          >
          > i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
          > i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
          > opinions please
          >
          > these are about 7.4 mb each, if you want something smaller, simply
          > remove the -hi at the end of the url.
          >

          > reworked version
          > http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-257-hi
          >
          > initial version
          > http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-199-hi
          >
          > thanks,
          > mmm
          > http://pdxvr.com

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
          ------------

          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
            I agree with the sky on the initial version, but I believe the quality on
            the tree bark is a more realistic conversion. There's certainly a lot more
            detail.

            It looks like a high pass was done. I'd mask in the sky from the initial
            version and bring down the sat two clicks.

            Sacha Griffin

            Southern Digital Solutions LLC

            http://www.southern-digital.com

            http://www.seeit360.net

            404-551-4275

            > i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
            > i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
            > opinions please

            I guess it all depends what kind of feeling you want to convey to the
            viewer...
            Personally I prefer the initial version. It's more realistic and
            creates a magical feeling that's unfortunately lost in the reworked
            version. The reworked version has lost the subtle blue in the sky and
            leaves me with an overexposed feeling. Also the lighting/color
            saturation has become too harsh for my taste.

            So again, the initial version gets my vote.

            Cheers,
            Ingemar
            http://panographer.net

            d=24938/stime=1227958799/nc1=3848642/nc2=4025304/nc3=5170417>

          • Eduardo Hutter
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
              I also think that depends on what kind of feeling you want to channel
              and like Ingemar, I prefer the fist one for the ethereal, magical mood.
              For me, it's almost like if I was going to see somekind of "mid summer
              night" creature getting out from behind of one of those trees.

              But it's true that the bark of the trees have a lot more detail now and
              I also like that.

              Eduardo

              * aiwetir wrote, On 29/11/2008 5:53 AM:

              > hi all,
              >
              > i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
              > i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
              > opinions please
              >
              > these are about 7.4 mb each, if you want something smaller, simply
              > remove the -hi at the end of the url.
              >
              > reworked version http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-257-hi
              > <http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-257-hi>
              >
              > initial version http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-199-hi
              > <http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-199-hi>
              >
              > thanks, mmm http://pdxvr.com <http://pdxvr.com>
            • Uri Cogan
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
                aiwetir wrote:

                > i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
                > i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
                > opinions please

                I happen to like the revised version - I like the warmth, and the easing
                of the bluish/grey cast. I felt the atmosphere of fogginess was still
                intact. It was amusing however to read the different interpretations of
                "realistic" - a concept that I have some difficulty with :-)

                Beautiful panorama!

              • aiwetir
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
                  well that's inconclusive, about half and half ;)
                  i suppose i could land somewhere in between or at least pull the sky
                  back in the second one, i guess there's a third version coming now ;)

                  mmm

                  On 29 Nov 2008, at 09:13, Eduardo Hutter wrote:

                  > I also think that depends on what kind of feeling you want to channel
                  > and like Ingemar, I prefer the fist one for the ethereal, magical
                  > mood.
                  > For me, it's almost like if I was going to see somekind of "mid summer
                  > night" creature getting out from behind of one of those trees.
                  >
                  > But it's true that the bark of the trees have a lot more detail now
                  > and
                  > I also like that.
                  >
                  > Eduardo
                  >
                  > * aiwetir wrote, On 29/11/2008 5:53 AM:
                  > >
                  > > hi all,
                  > >
                  > > i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
                  > > i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
                  > > opinions please
                  > >
                  > > these are about 7.4 mb each, if you want something smaller, simply
                  > > remove the -hi at the end of the url.
                  > >
                  > > reworked version http://pdxvr. com/vr-61- 257-hi
                  > > <http://pdxvr. com/vr-61- 257-hi>
                  > >
                  > > initial version http://pdxvr. com/vr-61- 199-hi
                  > > <http://pdxvr. com/vr-61- 199-hi>
                  > >
                  > > thanks, mmm http://pdxvr. com <http://pdxvr. com>

                • Caroling Geary
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008

                    I gravitate to the initial version. First for the greens. To me the
                    reworked greens got dipped in solid bright green plastic, they all
                    look the same like a crude postcard, losing the natural gradations
                    with a few really bright greens. Second for the sky. The natural
                    misted over light of day got artificially blasted out with spotlights
                    overhead, burning through, hurting my eyes. If this were mine, I
                    might experiment on the initial version with some selective
                    sharpening of closeup details.

                    > * aiwetir wrote, On 29/11/2008 5:53 AM:
                    >>
                    >> i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
                    >> i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
                    >> opinions please
                    >>
                    >> these are about 7.4 mb each, if you want something smaller, simply
                    >> remove the -hi at the end of the url.
                    >>
                    >> reworked version http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-257-hi
                    >> <http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-257-hi>
                    >>
                    >> initial version http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-199-hi
                    >> <http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-199-hi>

                    Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net
                  • Briar
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 29, 2008
                      On my screen, the re-worked just had more..magic

                      Briar Bentley,

                      Agender Northland.

                      316 Springfield Road.

                      R D 8 Whangarei

                      09-432-2092

                      0274-904-553

                      briar_bentley@...

                      I gravitate to the initial version. First for the greens. To me the
                      reworked greens got dipped in solid bright green plastic, they all
                      look the same like a crude postcard, losing the natural gradations
                      with a few really bright greens. Second for the sky. The natural
                      misted over light of day got artificially blasted out with spotlights
                      overhead, burning through, hurting my eyes. If this were mine, I
                      might experiment on the initial version with some selective
                      sharpening of closeup details.

                      > * aiwetir wrote, On 29/11/2008 5:53 AM:
                      >>
                      >> i've recently re-worked this vr using some photoshop techniques that
                      >> i'd forgotten about for some reason and i'd like some constructive
                      >> opinions please
                      >>
                      >> these are about 7.4 mb each, if you want something smaller, simply
                      >> remove the -hi at the end of the url.
                      >>
                      >> reworked version http://pdxvr. <http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-257-hi>
                      com/vr-61-257-hi
                      >> <http://pdxvr. <http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-257-hi> com/vr-61-257-hi>
                      >>
                      >> initial version http://pdxvr. <http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-199-hi>
                      com/vr-61-199-hi
                      >> <http://pdxvr. <http://pdxvr.com/vr-61-199-hi> com/vr-61-199-hi>

                      Caroling Geary, www.wholeo.net

                      http://www.eset.com

                    • Bernhard Vogl
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
                        Or - in other words, the reworked one looks more like an ultra-high
                        quality computer generated scene. It's just "too good to be true" ;-)
                        Nice shot!

                        Bernhard