anyone using a 10.5 on a 700D?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2008
      Just bought a Nikon 700D and a 16mm full frame fisheye. so... I was wondering how you
      liked the combination.
      I am trying to decide if should keep sell my 10.5, or keep it and go through that process of
      cutting off the lens shade. (I use PGui).
      I also have an 8mm sigma fish eye. I never used it because it seems like it would make small
      dimension Equirectanglular panos.

      _________________________________
      Christopher Mann
      Christopher Mann Photography
      Dallas/Ft. Worth/Irving, Texas
      972-313-1728
      photography portfolio: http://mannphoto.com
      virtual tour portfolio: http://virtualvisitor.com
      Member ASMP.org, DORBA.org, TLCA.org, IVRPA.org
    • Jürgen Eidt
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2008
        Hi Chris,
        I'm using the D700 along with a 16mm (16mm Zenitar Fisheye lens,
        http://cpicture.net/zenitar/index2.html) and very pleased with this setup.
        6+Z+N results in around 6000px x 12000px.
        I tried the 8mm (Sigma) as well which I used before with a APS-C camera
        (equirectangular output is about 3000px x 6000px in size) and concluded that
        they don't match for me. I cannot comment on the 10.5mm, since I haven't
        tried it.
        All depends on your requirements of course (number of shots vs output size).

        Viele Grüße
        Jürgen

        > Just bought a Nikon 700D and a 16mm full frame fisheye. so... I was
        > wondering how you
        > liked the combination.
        > I am trying to decide if should keep sell my 10.5, or keep it and go
        > through that process of
        > cutting off the lens shade. (I use PGui).
        > I also have an 8mm sigma fish eye. I never used it because it seems like
        > it would make small
        > dimension Equirectanglular panos.
        >
        > _________________________________
        > Christopher Mann
        > Christopher Mann Photography
        > Dallas/Ft. Worth/Irving, Texas
        > 972-313-1728
        > photography portfolio: http://mannphoto.com
        > virtual tour portfolio: http://virtualvisitor.com
        > Member ASMP.org, DORBA.org, TLCA.org, IVRPA.org

      • Dave 360texas.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2008
          Hi Chris, over the last several years I have read about the Nikon
          10.5 fisheye. This lens MTF chart show the highest contrast and
          sharpness MTF values from the center of the lens to the lens rim
          edge. Therefore, its optics rated as an excellent glass. And yes, it
          needs 6 on the horizon and zenith and nadir to get a full sphere set
          of images.

          Do we use one? No. Our Canon 5D would require a Canon || Nikon lens
          adapter.

          Your next door neighbor over here in Fort Worth.

          Dave still at 360Texas.com

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jürgen Eidt <jurgen@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chris,
          > I'm using the D700 along with a 16mm (16mm Zenitar Fisheye lens,
          > http://cpicture.net/zenitar/index2.html) and very pleased with this
          setup.
          > 6+Z+N results in around 6000px x 12000px.
          > I tried the 8mm (Sigma) as well which I used before with a APS-C
          camera
          > (equirectangular output is about 3000px x 6000px in size) and
          concluded that
          > they don't match for me. I cannot comment on the 10.5mm, since I
          haven't
          > tried it.
          > All depends on your requirements of course (number of shots vs
          output size).

          > Viele Grüße
          > Jürgen

        • Christopher Mann
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 24, 2008
            HI Dave,

            thanks for your reply. I said I was thinking about getting rid of my
            10.5. I have been using it for 3 years. It may be sharp and contrasty,
            but it also has a lot of Chromatic Aberation. I am was just asking if
            there were any unknown issues using it on the 700D. I thought I would
            get some feedback before I go to all the trouble and risk of cutting
            off its shades. I plan on using the 16mm fish eye for my standard
            VRs. But thought the 10.5 on a full frame would be best if I ever did
            some work with a pole or shooting crowds of people.

            Chris

            _________________________________
            architectural portfolio: http://texasarchitecturalphotographer.com/
            aviation portfolio: http://texasaviationphotographer.com
            virtual tour portfolio: http://virtualvisitor.com
            Member ASMP.org, DORBA.org, TLCA.org, IVRPA.org

            I feel more like I do now than I did just a little while ago.

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 24, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cm@...> wrote:

              > Just bought a Nikon 700D and a 16mm full frame fisheye. so... I was
              wondering how you
              > liked the combination.
              > I am trying to decide if should keep sell my 10.5, or keep it and
              go through that process of
              > cutting off the lens shade. (I use PGui).
              > I also have an 8mm sigma fish eye. I never used it because it seems
              like it would make small
              > dimension Equirectanglular panos.

              I've been using a shaved 10.5mm on D700 for most exterior panos since
              I got a D700. eg
              http://www.mediavr.com/marrickville08.htm at 800ISO I think.

              It is fine -- same as on the 5D. I use the 5D with a 15mm Sigma in
              single row, rolled (frame diagonal vertical) for most interiors still.

              Peter Murphy
            • Aaron Spence
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 24, 2008
                G'day Chris, here is some info about that combo I posted elsewhere on
                the weekend.

                "I shot my first 18 pole panos at the Nikon Indy 300 (street race)
                here on the Gold Coast, Australia last month. Yesterday I finally got
                around to figuring out how to stitch & finish them :)

                http://panedia.com/indy-pole.htm

                I used a Nikon D700 + shaved 10.5mm fisheye + 360precision Atome +
                gps. The pole consisted of (from bottom to top) a manfrotto monopod +
                300N rotator + a few foba 60cm (2ft) pole sections + camera rig.
                I used a cheap chinese wireless remote to trigger the shutter & shot 3
                images at 120 degrees for each pano. I output the equirectangular
                images at 7000x3500 which is slightly upscaled according to PTGui.

                I modified our batch processing system to create all the original
                files. Although accurate stitching of pole panos from a template is
                impossible, I found it worked well to give me a quick & dirty view of
                all the panos, and did work surprisingly well. I was then able to
                manually stitch those panos I wanted to keep. Another process that
                was surprisingly simple using PTGui, Photoshop & Pano2Vr. (I haven't
                done this much manual stitching in a long time :)

                I did up a quick map using our embedding system
                (http://embed.panedia.com) which is the link you see above. This is
                probably my favourite shot in fullscreen
                http://maps.panedia.com/pano?id=00006645 of the winner at the podium
                being photographed by about 100 people... and me."

                So I'd recommend shaving & keeping the 10.5mm if you're planning to do
                pole work.

                BTW: here are some of my first few hundred panos shot with the D700 +
                Nikon 16mm fullframe fisheye. All shot on the 360precision Adjuste &
                batch processed. 6+1 shots. I'm VERY impressed with the setup. As
                good as the 10.5mm is, the 16mm if far better. Particularly in the
                handling of flare. The 10.5mm provides terrible ghosting, whereas the
                16mm provides only slight discolouration in similar circumstances.

                http://panedia.com/floriade.htm - National Flower Festival - 60 mapped
                panos.

                http://panedia.com/kosciusko.htm - Walking Australia's tallest
                mountain - 40 mapped panos.