3 month coke can exposure: What projection would you call this?

  • Stuart Milne
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2008
      Panotools,

      In a national newspaper today there was an article on long (3 month) exposures using a coke can, a pinhole, and some photographic paper. The results appear to look quite similar to a cylindrical projection and are quite cool, so I thought I'd share. Hope it's not a repost:

      http://www.pinholephotography.org/SSGB%20Page.htm
      and
      http://www.solargraphy.com/ - with a good how too guide.

      The actual projection itself appears quite interesting. The pinhole as I understand it should give a rectalinear shot onto a flat plane, so the effect must be down to the curving of the film plane within the can. I don't think the projection could be a pure cylindrical as when the angle increases the paper gets phycisally closer to the pinhole .....but if the pinhole was in the middle of the can, then I think perhaps it would be?

      So. If we cut a can in half and put the pinhole in the middle of the can, could we get a few (say 3) cans rotated 120deg apart to make a 360 pano from the result? And if so, is it worth 3 months effort? :-D

      Stu

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2008
        Sometime around 22/11/08 (at 08:40 -0700) Stuart Milne said:

        >if so, is it worth 3 months effort? :-D

        Oh, definitely! This sounds like a rather fun project. :-)