Correct Location for 8mm Sigma with Agnos Ring

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
      The Agnos ring holder for my Sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye arrived this morning.
      Nine days from Italy to Japan by post. Not bad!

      I will be using my Nodal Ninja with a 10.5mm f/2.8 Nikon rectangular
      fisheye for interiors and keeping the Sigma, with the ring on top of a
      monopod, for outdoors and particularly where there are people moving
      around. That looks as if it will work best for me. It will also use
      the far superior positioning accuracy of the Nodal Ninja where it can
      be most effective, and where the ability to take zenith and nadir
      shots will be important. (I hope to get away without those using the
      Sigma/ring/monopod setup.)

      I'd still like to get the Sigma lens positioned "right" inside the ring
      for four shots around at 90 degrees to each other, so would anyone who
      has used this combination and is confident of their correct positioning
      please share the information with me? Thanks... Despite several years
      of experience, and being told repeatedly that it is really all very
      simple, I still find it hard to locate the sweet spot accurately enough.
      Maybe it's the cataract in my dominant (right) eye getting in the way?
      I can only see fine details in photos on my computer screen, not on the
      camera LCD. For instance I have to use either auto focus or zone
      focusing. Manual no longer works for me--can't see the differences well
      enough to detect the focus point nor, of course, spot small differences
      in parallax.

      Since the non-parallax point must be independent of the camera, I don't
      think it matters that I use a D300 but in case it does, or if it is
      easier to place the ring/lens combo relative to the D300 rather than to
      each other, well, that's what I'm using.

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 20, 2008
        I've got a Canon XTi w the older Sigma 8mm.

        For my setup I have the ring as far back toward the camera as possible so
        the rotational point is just behind the gold ring.

        Actually, I don't have the Agnos head... but the wood laminate Bo Bracket.
        I think they're similar in principal, though.

        I love it. Works well with the sigma and four shots around.

        _Marc Huff
        WHdigital, Inc.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 20, 2008
          On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 01:09:44 +0900, Marc Huff <marchuff@...> wrote:

          > I've got a Canon XTi w the older Sigma 8mm.
          >
          > For my setup I have the ring as far back toward the camera as possible so
          > the rotational point is just behind the gold ring.
          >
          > Actually, I don't have the Agnos head... but the wood laminate Bo
          > Bracket.
          > I think they're similar in principal, though.
          >
          > I love it. Works well with the sigma and four shots around.

          Yes, the principle is great...

          BUT last night I spent a couple of hours trying to get the Agnos
          ring to fasten onto the Sigma lens at a place that would put it in
          roughly the same position relative to the axis of rotation as it
          is using the NN3. This was what I wanted advice on.

          No joy. Couldn't do it myself, anyway, and no suggestions from
          anyone else, yet.

          The NPP requirement means that the ring has to clamp a section of
          the lens that is too slim to engage the holding ring. It is not
          just that the grip is slack enough to fear my D300 slipping out,
          as another respondent said happened with his D200, but that it is
          clack enough to WOBBLE. Imagine what THAT would do to tilt, yaw,
          etc! Tightening the clamp until it is almost impossible to UN-
          clamp is still not enough. The jaws of the ring are too close
          together and clamp shut, metal to metal, before they grip the
          inner (red) ring hard enough...

          If I give up the near-enough-by-eye NPP alignment, and use a bit
          of the lens that is thick enough to engage the ring, it clamps
          down on the focus ring, so that the camera is only held vertical
          by the lens-positioning servo in the camera, and I shudder to
          think what a forced turn would do to THAT mechanism. Or if I
          go over to entirely manual focusing, there is no force retaining
          the camera in position at all, and it could therefore turn out
          of true vertical all too easily (changing focus at the same
          time). Argh!

          As of now, the ring is unusable. I will contact Agnos and check
          that they sent the right ring. They apparently sell more of the
          rings for the older f/4 Sigma 8mm. Maybe I got one of those? It
          is NOT right for my F/3.5 lens. Unfortunately I have had a disk
          crash, didn't back up my mail, and can recover neither our
          correspondence nor my order details until after the data-
          recovery people get back to me. (All my photos were backed
          up, fortunately...)

          They also say the manuals are downloadable from the site but
          there are none for this ring. Too simple to need it? Not for
          fingers-all-thumbs me.

          Roger W.

          > _Marc Huff
          > WHdigital, Inc.
          >

          > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Roger D. Williams
          > <roger@...>wrote:
          >
          >> The Agnos ring holder for my Sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye arrived this
          >> morning.
          >> Nine days from Italy to Japan by post. Not bad!
          >>
          >> I will be using my Nodal Ninja with a 10.5mm f/2.8 Nikon rectangular
          >> fisheye for interiors and keeping the Sigma, with the ring on top of a
          >> monopod, for outdoors and particularly where there are people moving
          >> around. That looks as if it will work best for me. It will also use
          >> the far superior positioning accuracy of the Nodal Ninja where it can
          >> be most effective, and where the ability to take zenith and nadir
          >> shots will be important. (I hope to get away without those using the
          >> Sigma/ring/monopod setup.)
          >>
          >> I'd still like to get the Sigma lens positioned "right" inside the ring
          >> for four shots around at 90 degrees to each other, so would anyone who
          >> has used this combination and is confident of their correct positioning
          >> please share the information with me? Thanks... Despite several years
          >> of experience, and being told repeatedly that it is really all very
          >> simple, I still find it hard to locate the sweet spot accurately enough.
          >> Maybe it's the cataract in my dominant (right) eye getting in the way?
          >> I can only see fine details in photos on my computer screen, not on the
          >> camera LCD. For instance I have to use either auto focus or zone
          >> focusing. Manual no longer works for me--can't see the differences well
          >> enough to detect the focus point nor, of course, spot small differences
          >> in parallax.
          >>
          >> Since the non-parallax point must be independent of the camera, I don't
          >> think it matters that I use a D300 but in case it does, or if it is
          >> easier to place the ring/lens combo relative to the D300 rather than to
          >> each other, well, that's what I'm using.
          >>
          >> Roger W.
          >>
          >> --
          >> Work: www.adex-japan.com
          >> Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

          Work: www.adex-japan.com
          Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
        • Willy Kaemena
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 21, 2008
            Here you can see my home made clamp with a Sigma8 3.5 for references
            about the NPP and a possible grip position.

            I use it with a Nikon D300

            http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/Forenfotos/Sigma8_3.5.jpg

            Willy Kaemena

            http://bremen.360cities.net/
            http://syria.360cities.net/
            http://lisbon.360cities.net/

          • Daniel Reetz
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 21, 2008
              On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:
              > Here you can see my home made clamp with a Sigma8 3.5 for references
              > about the NPP and a possible grip position.
              >
              > I use it with a Nikon D300
              >
              > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/Forenfotos/Sigma8_3.5.jpg

              Beautiful work. Do you have a CNC mill, or did you cut that by hand?
              I'm in the process of converting a mill, and looking forward to
              producing parts like that.
              DR
            • paul womack
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 21, 2008
                Daniel Reetz wrote:
                > On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:
                >> Here you can see my home made clamp with a Sigma8 3.5 for references
                >> about the NPP and a possible grip position.
                >>
                >> I use it with a Nikon D300
                >>
                >> http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/Forenfotos/Sigma8_3.5.jpg
                >
                > Beautiful work. Do you have a CNC mill, or did you cut that by hand?
                > I'm in the process of converting a mill, and looking forward to
                > producing parts like that.

                There's quite a few options between those two extremes, you know!

                BugBear
              • Daniel Reetz
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 21, 2008
                  >> Beautiful work. Do you have a CNC mill, or did you cut that by hand?
                  >> I'm in the process of converting a mill, and looking forward to
                  >> producing parts like that.
                  >
                  > There's quite a few options between those two extremes, you know!

                  I do know -- I have a small metalworking shop of my own. ;)
                • Roger D. Williams
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 24, 2008
                    I'm impressed!

                    Roger W

                    --
                    Work: www.adex-japan.com
                    Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                  • Mahmood Hamidi
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 27, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                      > Here you can see my home made clamp with a Sigma8 3.5 for references
                      > about the NPP and a possible grip position.

                      Home made? What kind of home is that, a metal workshop? This is awesome,
                      you can compete with Agno's making those and sell them cheaper on
                      internet. How much do you want for making one for me?

                      Regards,
                      Mahmood
                      http://www.stockholm360.net
                      http://stockholm.360cities.net
                    • panokaemena@mac.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 27, 2008
                        well at "that home" there is a small computer controlled machine
                        which is able to cut this from 3mm aluminium neatly......
                        http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/Forenfotos/Sigma8_3.5.jpg

                        but that home is not in my home.......

                        it would be really a good idea to sell only the cut and drilled parts
                        as a kit for final assembly

                        Willy

                        On Nov 27, 2008, at 22:16, Mahmood Hamidi wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Here you can see my home made clamp with a Sigma8 3.5 for references
                        > > about the NPP and a possible grip position.
                        >
                        > Home made? What kind of home is that, a metal workshop? This is
                        > awesome,
                        > you can compete with Agno's making those and sell them cheaper on
                        > internet. How much do you want for making one for me?
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Mahmood
                        > http://www.stockholm360.net
                        > http://stockholm.360cities.net

                        Willy Kaemena
                        (0049) 0177 327 2935
                        http://360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena
                        http://360cities.net/area/bremen-germany
                        http://360cities.net/area/rio-de-janeiro-brazil-2
                        http://360cities.net/area/lisbon-portugal

                      • Mahmood Hamidi
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 27, 2008
                          Well, if the price is right, I'm your first customer.
                          Let me know if you have some spare time to make such a kit.

                          Mahmood
                          http://www.stockholm360.net
                          http://360cities.net/profile/mahmood_hamidi
                          http://360cities.net/area/stockholm-sweden