RE: [PanoToolsNG] My sixth North Carolina pano

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2008
      Sometime around 16/11/08 (at 11:49 -0500) Sacha Griffin said:

      >Something I do for quick and dirty stuff, is dupe layer with the photo
      >filters, and then some manual masking with some large unhard brushes, at say
      >20% opacity.

      Yep, a very good technique for quick stuff.

      With the Hip Replacements equirect I wasn't unhappy with the original
      look, but I thought I'd experiment a little - and this really did
      help, once I knocked it back from its 100% impact. And masked it off
      completely in the nadir area, as that was greening up the floor
      noticably more than it really was.

      >What did you mean by cross-process curves?

      Cross-processing is a technique from the world of color film
      developing, where one kind of film stock is processed using chemicals
      meant for a different stock, producing a certain general kind of
      color and contrast alteration. As usual, Wikipedia is a reasonable
      starting point for info:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_processing

      This article:
      http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/or/cross-processing.html
      shows how to do this manually in Photoshop in the Curves dialog. But
      Photoshop CS3 (and CS4) also has a selection of ready-made curves
      settings that can be chosen without fiddling - making them both easy
      and repeatable. (As would be saving a custom set of curves as your
      own preset, but this is done for you already.)

      Here's a screengrab of the thing in use:
      http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/crossprocess.jpg

      Note, though, that this preset merely simulates one of the many
      different results that true cross-processing, with different films
      and chemicals, can produce. Here's another tutorial that looks at
      different manual curves settings:
      http://www.layersmagazine.com/curvy-cross-processing.html

      Have a go! If your version of Photoshop doesn't include the Cross
      Process preset then just tweak the RGB curves individually so they
      look similar to the lines in that screengrab or in any online
      tutorial. Accurate matching of those lines isn't as important as the
      effect you see, so play with it.