What is IPTC metadata and how do you "provide" it?

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
      What is IPTC metadata and how do you "provide" it?

      Thanks.

      Paul Fretheim
    • bohonus
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

        > What is IPTC metadata and how do you "provide" it?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Paul Fretheim

        http://www.iptc.org
      • Rodolpho Pajuaba
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
          ... and www.controlledvocabulary.com

          bohonus escreveu:
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
          >
          >> What is IPTC metadata and how do you "provide" it?
          >>
          >> Thanks.
          >>
          >> Paul Fretheim
          >>

          > http://www.iptc.org
          >

          > ------------------------------------

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
            You can make presets in Adobe Lightroom and edit to your heart's
            content on individual and groups of images. It is in the right-hand
            panel of the Library module. You need to look at the Metadata portion
            of the right hand panel. I am sure you can also do this in Photoshop
            and Bridge, but Lightroom seems easiest to me.

            I am guess you are preparing images for World Panorama Stock? It is
            far easier to put all your keywords in IPTC before uploading, so you
            are on the right path!

            Joohn

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

            On Nov 14, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

            > What is IPTC metadata and how do you "provide" it?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Paul Fretheim

          • John Riley
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
              Also, you have a LOT of panos that would fit perfectly with a recent
              image request to WPS. If you aren't using them already, you should
              look into it.

              John

              John Riley
              johnriley@...
              jriley@...

              On Nov 14, 2008, at 2:54 PM, John Riley wrote:

              > You can make presets in Adobe Lightroom and edit to your heart's
              > content on individual and groups of images. It is in the right-hand
              > panel of the Library module. You need to look at the Metadata portion
              > of the right hand panel. I am sure you can also do this in Photoshop
              > and Bridge, but Lightroom seems easiest to me.
              >
              > I am guess you are preparing images for World Panorama Stock? It is
              > far easier to put all your keywords in IPTC before uploading, so you
              > are on the right path!
              >
              > Joohn
              >
              > John Riley
              > johnriley@...
              > jriley@...
              >
              > On Nov 14, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:
              >
              > > What is IPTC metadata and how do you "provide" it?
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > Paul Fretheim

            • Dave 360texas.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
                Is the IPTC information embedded directly in the image header area
                or is is an external file that is sent with the image file.

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
                  Dave 360texas.com wrote:
                  > Is the IPTC information embedded directly in the image header area
                  > or is is an external file that is sent with the image file.

                  It's embedded. Here's an overview:
                  http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/IPTC.html

                • Roger Howard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
                    On Fri, November 14, 2008 3:44 am, Paul Fretheim wrote:
                    > What is IPTC metadata and how do you "provide" it?

                    IPTC metadata is a standard (originally developed for photojournalism) for
                    describing basic aspects of the content and ownership of a digital image.
                    It is, basically, a set of standard fields of information attached to an
                    image.

                    In the most common form (today), it is embedded in the image itself; the
                    most common way to do this is via the File Info feature in Photoshop -
                    fields such as Description, Keywords/Subject, Special Instructions, etc,
                    are all part of the IPTC metadata. When you save the file (after editing
                    these fields), the values are stored within the file.

                    Almost all media applications - image editors, cataloging and asset
                    management software, stock photo sites, etc - support IPTC metadata in
                    TIFF and JPEG.

                    You should confirm with the person requesting it exactly which fields they
                    require you to provide, as there are many mostly-unnecessary fields which
                    you shouldn't bother with. Most likely they'll want at a minimum:

                    Creator (you)
                    Description
                    Keywords
                    Copyright Notice

                    Also, note that the actual labels on the fields (and the layout of the
                    interface) have changed between versions of Photoshop.

                    Finally, in case anyone cares, note that there are actually two ways of
                    embedding this information into files - the old IIM and the newer XMP
                    method - Photoshop supports and embeds in both formats for maximum
                    compatibility.
                  • Luc Villeneuve
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 21, 2008
                      http://tinyurl.com/5bwghv