Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: which cube size in CubicConverter

  • Dieter Lotze
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2008
      That is what I am always doing and as I have to process quite a few panos
      right now, I hoped I could approve my workflow a bit!
      Thanks

      Didi

      From: erik leeman <erik.leeman@...>
      Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:35:47 -0000
      To: Panotools Group <panotoolsng@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: which cube size in CubicConverter

      There IS no simple formula that can give you the answer you want,
      because all relevant factors are interdependent. The result of your
      trial is only valid for that particular image, if you apply those
      parameters to a different image (content wise), you will get different
      results as well. Maybe better, maybe worse.

      A usable method could be to stepwise decrease cube size until you can
      just see the amount of detail you really want to see in the resulting
      QTVR without applying any compression at all. Then you can stepwise
      increase compression until quality degrades so much you find it
      unacceptable. Then go back one step for the final settings.

      My advice would be to start with the largest cubefaces you can make
      from your equirectangulars, and reduce their size in Photoshop as a
      seperate step. Then import those cubefaces into your VR generator. For
      me this gives FAR better image quality for my VR's, especially with the
      small ones!

      Regards,

      Erik Leeman