Re: Large group photogaphy

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje
      <ltietje@...> wrote:

      > Hi Robert
      > Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
      > ones here:
      > http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
      > panoramic_home.html

      This one will be hard to beat
      Zoomify
      http://photodes100ans.com/

      360 with fullscreen
      http://www.photodes100ans.com/photo-360.htm

      Hans
    • CW
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
        Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was used to shoot this?
        If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal length of 200mm+
        there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would result in a
        gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?

        Colin

          > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was used to shoot this?
          > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal length of 200mm+
          > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would result in a
          > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?

          No
          If you read the page you see that this was a Roundshot.
          http://photodes100ans.com/roundshot-d3.htm

          Hans

        • CW
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
            As it wasn't in English, I didn't read it-no arrogance intended. I'll read
            the Roundshot site. They have an English version.

            Colin

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
              If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
              photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?

              Colin

              From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                hi colin,

                the resolution isn't crazy high, the final panorama has 48000x5500px.
                to get there, guessing that it was taken with a 5D, you can take two rows of 24 at around 65mm focal length, so 48 shots is all that it takes to make this one. (still 25% overkill for the 255x36cm print size).

                still a nice example.

                -joergen

                > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was
                > used to shoot this?
                > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal
                > length of 200mm+
                > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would
                > result in a
                > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?
                >

                > Colin

              • Joergen Geerds
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                  bummer, my french isn't good enough, and i forgot about the roundshot, which makes things like this very easy (only 1-4 sec for a 360?)

                  thx for digging that up
                  -joergen

                  > > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head
                  > was used to shoot this?
                  > > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a
                  > focal length of 200mm+
                  > > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would
                  > result in a
                  > > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?
                  >
                  > No
                  > If you read the page you see that this was a Roundshot.
                  > http://photodes100ans.com/roundshot-d3.htm
                  >
                  > Hans

                • Hans Nyberg
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "CW" <cwest@...> wrote:

                    > If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                    > photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?

                    It all depends on what resolution you really need.
                    I doubt that you would ever need more than 22000 pixels width for this.
                    That means that you can use a 28mm lens on a 5D with only 10 images,

                    22000 pixels means 1,8meters at 300ppi.

                    Hans
                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "CW" <cwest@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                      > > photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?
                      >
                      > It all depends on what resolution you really need.
                      > I doubt that you would ever need more than 22000 pixels width for this.
                      > That means that you can use a 28mm lens on a 5D with only 10 images,
                      >
                      > 22000 pixels means 1,8meters at 300ppi.

                      That would also helped getting the people in the frontline sharp. If you zoom in you see
                      they are not.

                      Actually in this low light situation I would have prefered a 12mp with a 1,5 sensor and a
                      20mm lens for better depth of field

                      Hans
                    • CW
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                        If you zoom in to the max that the the image allows, do you consider the
                        image not sharp? For the image to be sharper, what focal length would you
                        use?

                        Colin

                      • jlemon0721@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 9, 2011
                          Bedford and north 10th street
                          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                          From: "Mark Fink" <markdfink@...>
                          Sender: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:19:39 -0500
                          To: <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: RE: [PanoToolsNG] (unknown)

                          That depends – Williamsburg , Where?

                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 8, 2013
                            Sorry for the noise folks. Another compromised account by the look. The usual steps have been taken.

                            KathyW,
                            Co-owner / moderator, PanoToolsNG