Re: [PanoToolsNG] Large group photogaphy

  • Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 6 9:11 AM
      Better this link: http://tinyurl.com/yyl2cf
      Am 06.11.2008 um 17:55 schrieb Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje:

      > Hi Robert
      > Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
      > ones here:
      > http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
      > panoramic_home.html
      >
      > Am 06.11.2008 um 15:19 schrieb robert_harshman:
      >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas
      > > Tietje <ltietje@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi to the active posters!
      > > > I neeed an urgent help! A customer wants me to make a pano of
      > about
      > > > 180 persons standing around the cam. Has anyone an "example"
      > for me?
      > >
      > > 180 people, every 2 degrees? hm....sounds like a 360 :)
      > >
      > > But seriously, see if you can find any book or example from the real
      > > master of large group photography, Eugene O. Goldbeck.
      > >
      > > He was a true pioneer in panormamic photography and even did amazing
      > > group photo's of army battallions arranged to mirror their logo, yet
      > > you could still see everyone's face. Paraprhasing " if a customer
      > > can't see their face, they won't buy a print." Many times he would
      > > build a platform just for the shoot.
      > >
      > > Well worth a look.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Robert Harshman
      > >

      > Mit freundlichen Grüßen
      >
      > Laas Tietje
      > Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC - Unter den Pfählen 7 - 38229 Salzgitter
      > Tel: 05341/53035 - Fax: 05341/659479 - ISDN: 05341/852465
      > info@... - http://www.logo-tec.de
      >
      > 360º Panoramafotos - http://www.panorama.logo-tec.de
      > Hochfotos (15m Höhe) - http://www.bird-view.de
      > Salzgitter Panoramas: http://www.salzgitter.360cities.net
      >
      > Member:
      >

      > http://www.ivrpa.org

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen

      Laas Tietje
      Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC - Unter den Pfählen 7 - 38229 Salzgitter
      Tel: 05341/53035 - Fax: 05341/659479 - ISDN: 05341/852465
      info@... - http://www.logo-tec.de

      360º Panoramafotos - http://www.panorama.logo-tec.de
      Hochfotos (15m Höhe) - http://www.bird-view.de
      Salzgitter Panoramas: http://www.salzgitter.360cities.net

      Member:

      http://www.ivrpa.org

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 6 9:24 AM
        <ltietje@...> wrote:

        > Hi Robert
        > Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
        > ones here:
        > http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
        > panoramic_home.html

        This one will be hard to beat
        Zoomify
        http://photodes100ans.com/

        360 with fullscreen
        http://www.photodes100ans.com/photo-360.htm

        Hans
      • CW
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 6 11:57 AM
          Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was used to shoot this?
          If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal length of 200mm+
          there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would result in a
          gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?

          Colin

            > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was used to shoot this?
            > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal length of 200mm+
            > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would result in a
            > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?

            No
            If you read the page you see that this was a Roundshot.
            http://photodes100ans.com/roundshot-d3.htm

            Hans

          • CW
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 6 12:20 PM
              As it wasn't in English, I didn't read it-no arrogance intended. I'll read
              the Roundshot site. They have an English version.

              Colin

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 6 12:35 PM
                If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?

                Colin

                From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 6 12:49 PM
                  hi colin,

                  the resolution isn't crazy high, the final panorama has 48000x5500px.
                  to get there, guessing that it was taken with a 5D, you can take two rows of 24 at around 65mm focal length, so 48 shots is all that it takes to make this one. (still 25% overkill for the 255x36cm print size).

                  still a nice example.

                  -joergen

                  > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was
                  > used to shoot this?
                  > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal
                  > length of 200mm+
                  > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would
                  > result in a
                  > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?
                  >

                  > Colin

                • Joergen Geerds
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 6 12:51 PM
                    bummer, my french isn't good enough, and i forgot about the roundshot, which makes things like this very easy (only 1-4 sec for a 360?)

                    thx for digging that up
                    -joergen

                    > > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head
                    > was used to shoot this?
                    > > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a
                    > focal length of 200mm+
                    > > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would
                    > result in a
                    > > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?
                    >
                    > No
                    > If you read the page you see that this was a Roundshot.
                    > http://photodes100ans.com/roundshot-d3.htm
                    >
                    > Hans

                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 6 1:22 PM
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "CW" <cwest@...> wrote:

                      > If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                      > photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?

                      It all depends on what resolution you really need.
                      I doubt that you would ever need more than 22000 pixels width for this.
                      That means that you can use a 28mm lens on a 5D with only 10 images,

                      22000 pixels means 1,8meters at 300ppi.

                      Hans
                    • Hans Nyberg
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 6 1:30 PM

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "CW" <cwest@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                        > > photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?
                        >
                        > It all depends on what resolution you really need.
                        > I doubt that you would ever need more than 22000 pixels width for this.
                        > That means that you can use a 28mm lens on a 5D with only 10 images,
                        >
                        > 22000 pixels means 1,8meters at 300ppi.

                        That would also helped getting the people in the frontline sharp. If you zoom in you see
                        they are not.

                        Actually in this low light situation I would have prefered a 12mp with a 1,5 sensor and a
                        20mm lens for better depth of field

                        Hans
                      • CW
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 6 2:05 PM
                          If you zoom in to the max that the the image allows, do you consider the
                          image not sharp? For the image to be sharper, what focal length would you
                          use?

                          Colin

                        • jlemon0721@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 9 7:14 AM
                            Bedford and north 10th street
                            Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                            From: "Mark Fink" <markdfink@...>
                            Sender: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:19:39 -0500
                            To: <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com>
                            ReplyTo: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                            Subject: RE: [PanoToolsNG] (unknown)

                            That depends – Williamsburg , Where?

                            Mark

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 8, 2013
                              Sorry for the noise folks. Another compromised account by the look. The usual steps have been taken.

                              KathyW,
                              Co-owner / moderator, PanoToolsNG