Re: [PanoToolsNG] Large group photogaphy

  • Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
      Hi Robert
      Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
      ones here:
      http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
      panoramic_home.html

      Am 06.11.2008 um 15:19 schrieb robert_harshman:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas
      > Tietje <ltietje@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi to the active posters!
      > > I neeed an urgent help! A customer wants me to make a pano of about
      > > 180 persons standing around the cam. Has anyone an "example" for me?
      >
      > 180 people, every 2 degrees? hm....sounds like a 360 :)
      >
      > But seriously, see if you can find any book or example from the real
      > master of large group photography, Eugene O. Goldbeck.
      >
      > He was a true pioneer in panormamic photography and even did amazing
      > group photo's of army battallions arranged to mirror their logo, yet
      > you could still see everyone's face. Paraprhasing " if a customer
      > can't see their face, they won't buy a print." Many times he would
      > build a platform just for the shoot.
      >
      > Well worth a look.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Robert Harshman

      Mit freundlichen Grüßen

      Laas Tietje
      Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC - Unter den Pfählen 7 - 38229 Salzgitter
      Tel: 05341/53035 - Fax: 05341/659479 - ISDN: 05341/852465
      info@... - http://www.logo-tec.de

      360º Panoramafotos - http://www.panorama.logo-tec.de
      Hochfotos (15m Höhe) - http://www.bird-view.de
      Salzgitter Panoramas: http://www.salzgitter.360cities.net

      Member:

      http://www.ivrpa.org

    • Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
        Better this link: http://tinyurl.com/yyl2cf
        Am 06.11.2008 um 17:55 schrieb Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje:

        > Hi Robert
        > Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
        > ones here:
        > http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
        > panoramic_home.html
        >
        > Am 06.11.2008 um 15:19 schrieb robert_harshman:
        >
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas
        > > Tietje <ltietje@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi to the active posters!
        > > > I neeed an urgent help! A customer wants me to make a pano of
        > about
        > > > 180 persons standing around the cam. Has anyone an "example"
        > for me?
        > >
        > > 180 people, every 2 degrees? hm....sounds like a 360 :)
        > >
        > > But seriously, see if you can find any book or example from the real
        > > master of large group photography, Eugene O. Goldbeck.
        > >
        > > He was a true pioneer in panormamic photography and even did amazing
        > > group photo's of army battallions arranged to mirror their logo, yet
        > > you could still see everyone's face. Paraprhasing " if a customer
        > > can't see their face, they won't buy a print." Many times he would
        > > build a platform just for the shoot.
        > >
        > > Well worth a look.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Robert Harshman
        > >

        > Mit freundlichen Grüßen
        >
        > Laas Tietje
        > Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC - Unter den Pfählen 7 - 38229 Salzgitter
        > Tel: 05341/53035 - Fax: 05341/659479 - ISDN: 05341/852465
        > info@... - http://www.logo-tec.de
        >
        > 360º Panoramafotos - http://www.panorama.logo-tec.de
        > Hochfotos (15m Höhe) - http://www.bird-view.de
        > Salzgitter Panoramas: http://www.salzgitter.360cities.net
        >
        > Member:
        >

        > http://www.ivrpa.org

        Mit freundlichen Grüßen

        Laas Tietje
        Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC - Unter den Pfählen 7 - 38229 Salzgitter
        Tel: 05341/53035 - Fax: 05341/659479 - ISDN: 05341/852465
        info@... - http://www.logo-tec.de

        360º Panoramafotos - http://www.panorama.logo-tec.de
        Hochfotos (15m Höhe) - http://www.bird-view.de
        Salzgitter Panoramas: http://www.salzgitter.360cities.net

        Member:

        http://www.ivrpa.org

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
          <ltietje@...> wrote:

          > Hi Robert
          > Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
          > ones here:
          > http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
          > panoramic_home.html

          This one will be hard to beat
          Zoomify
          http://photodes100ans.com/

          360 with fullscreen
          http://www.photodes100ans.com/photo-360.htm

          Hans
        • CW
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
            Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was used to shoot this?
            If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal length of 200mm+
            there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would result in a
            gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?

            Colin

              > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was used to shoot this?
              > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal length of 200mm+
              > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would result in a
              > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?

              No
              If you read the page you see that this was a Roundshot.
              http://photodes100ans.com/roundshot-d3.htm

              Hans

            • CW
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                As it wasn't in English, I didn't read it-no arrogance intended. I'll read
                the Roundshot site. They have an English version.

                Colin

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                  If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                  photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?

                  Colin

                  From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                    hi colin,

                    the resolution isn't crazy high, the final panorama has 48000x5500px.
                    to get there, guessing that it was taken with a 5D, you can take two rows of 24 at around 65mm focal length, so 48 shots is all that it takes to make this one. (still 25% overkill for the 255x36cm print size).

                    still a nice example.

                    -joergen

                    > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was
                    > used to shoot this?
                    > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal
                    > length of 200mm+
                    > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would
                    > result in a
                    > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?
                    >

                    > Colin

                  • Joergen Geerds
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                      bummer, my french isn't good enough, and i forgot about the roundshot, which makes things like this very easy (only 1-4 sec for a 360?)

                      thx for digging that up
                      -joergen

                      > > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head
                      > was used to shoot this?
                      > > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a
                      > focal length of 200mm+
                      > > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would
                      > result in a
                      > > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?
                      >
                      > No
                      > If you read the page you see that this was a Roundshot.
                      > http://photodes100ans.com/roundshot-d3.htm
                      >
                      > Hans

                    • Hans Nyberg
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "CW" <cwest@...> wrote:

                        > If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                        > photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?

                        It all depends on what resolution you really need.
                        I doubt that you would ever need more than 22000 pixels width for this.
                        That means that you can use a 28mm lens on a 5D with only 10 images,

                        22000 pixels means 1,8meters at 300ppi.

                        Hans
                      • Hans Nyberg
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "CW" <cwest@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                          > > photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?
                          >
                          > It all depends on what resolution you really need.
                          > I doubt that you would ever need more than 22000 pixels width for this.
                          > That means that you can use a 28mm lens on a 5D with only 10 images,
                          >
                          > 22000 pixels means 1,8meters at 300ppi.

                          That would also helped getting the people in the frontline sharp. If you zoom in you see
                          they are not.

                          Actually in this low light situation I would have prefered a 12mp with a 1,5 sensor and a
                          20mm lens for better depth of field

                          Hans
                        • CW
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                            If you zoom in to the max that the the image allows, do you consider the
                            image not sharp? For the image to be sharper, what focal length would you
                            use?

                            Colin

                          • jlemon0721@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 9, 2011
                              Bedford and north 10th street
                              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                              From: "Mark Fink" <markdfink@...>
                              Sender: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:19:39 -0500
                              To: <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com>
                              ReplyTo: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                              Subject: RE: [PanoToolsNG] (unknown)

                              That depends – Williamsburg , Where?

                              Mark

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 8 8:34 PM
                                Sorry for the noise folks. Another compromised account by the look. The usual steps have been taken.

                                KathyW,
                                Co-owner / moderator, PanoToolsNG