Large group photogaphy

  • robert_harshman
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas
      Tietje <ltietje@...> wrote:

      > Hi to the active posters!
      > I neeed an urgent help! A customer wants me to make a pano of about
      > 180 persons standing around the cam. Has anyone an "example" for me?

      180 people, every 2 degrees? hm....sounds like a 360 :)

      But seriously, see if you can find any book or example from the real
      master of large group photography, Eugene O. Goldbeck.

      He was a true pioneer in panormamic photography and even did amazing
      group photo's of army battallions arranged to mirror their logo, yet
      you could still see everyone's face. Paraprhasing " if a customer
      can't see their face, they won't buy a print." Many times he would
      build a platform just for the shoot.

      Well worth a look.

      Regards,

      Robert Harshman
    • Henri Smeets
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
        Hi Laas,

        I took one of a wedding, not around the cam though:
        http://www.lookaround.be/claudia_gijs/ Don't make the same mistake I made
        however, many people were looking straight into the sun, hence the squinting
        :(

        A saw another here:
        http://www.panoguide.com/gallery/716/

      • Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
          Hi Robert
          Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
          ones here:
          http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
          panoramic_home.html

          Am 06.11.2008 um 15:19 schrieb robert_harshman:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas
          > Tietje <ltietje@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi to the active posters!
          > > I neeed an urgent help! A customer wants me to make a pano of about
          > > 180 persons standing around the cam. Has anyone an "example" for me?
          >
          > 180 people, every 2 degrees? hm....sounds like a 360 :)
          >
          > But seriously, see if you can find any book or example from the real
          > master of large group photography, Eugene O. Goldbeck.
          >
          > He was a true pioneer in panormamic photography and even did amazing
          > group photo's of army battallions arranged to mirror their logo, yet
          > you could still see everyone's face. Paraprhasing " if a customer
          > can't see their face, they won't buy a print." Many times he would
          > build a platform just for the shoot.
          >
          > Well worth a look.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Robert Harshman

          Mit freundlichen Grüßen

          Laas Tietje
          Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC - Unter den Pfählen 7 - 38229 Salzgitter
          Tel: 05341/53035 - Fax: 05341/659479 - ISDN: 05341/852465
          info@... - http://www.logo-tec.de

          360º Panoramafotos - http://www.panorama.logo-tec.de
          Hochfotos (15m Höhe) - http://www.bird-view.de
          Salzgitter Panoramas: http://www.salzgitter.360cities.net

          Member:

          http://www.ivrpa.org

        • Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
            Better this link: http://tinyurl.com/yyl2cf
            Am 06.11.2008 um 17:55 schrieb Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas Tietje:

            > Hi Robert
            > Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
            > ones here:
            > http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
            > panoramic_home.html
            >
            > Am 06.11.2008 um 15:19 schrieb robert_harshman:
            >
            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Firma Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC Laas
            > > Tietje <ltietje@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi to the active posters!
            > > > I neeed an urgent help! A customer wants me to make a pano of
            > about
            > > > 180 persons standing around the cam. Has anyone an "example"
            > for me?
            > >
            > > 180 people, every 2 degrees? hm....sounds like a 360 :)
            > >
            > > But seriously, see if you can find any book or example from the real
            > > master of large group photography, Eugene O. Goldbeck.
            > >
            > > He was a true pioneer in panormamic photography and even did amazing
            > > group photo's of army battallions arranged to mirror their logo, yet
            > > you could still see everyone's face. Paraprhasing " if a customer
            > > can't see their face, they won't buy a print." Many times he would
            > > build a platform just for the shoot.
            > >
            > > Well worth a look.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Robert Harshman
            > >

            > Mit freundlichen Grüßen
            >
            > Laas Tietje
            > Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC - Unter den Pfählen 7 - 38229 Salzgitter
            > Tel: 05341/53035 - Fax: 05341/659479 - ISDN: 05341/852465
            > info@... - http://www.logo-tec.de
            >
            > 360º Panoramafotos - http://www.panorama.logo-tec.de
            > Hochfotos (15m Höhe) - http://www.bird-view.de
            > Salzgitter Panoramas: http://www.salzgitter.360cities.net
            >
            > Member:
            >

            > http://www.ivrpa.org

            Mit freundlichen Grüßen

            Laas Tietje
            Werbeagentur LOGO-TEC - Unter den Pfählen 7 - 38229 Salzgitter
            Tel: 05341/53035 - Fax: 05341/659479 - ISDN: 05341/852465
            info@... - http://www.logo-tec.de

            360º Panoramafotos - http://www.panorama.logo-tec.de
            Hochfotos (15m Höhe) - http://www.bird-view.de
            Salzgitter Panoramas: http://www.salzgitter.360cities.net

            Member:

            http://www.ivrpa.org

          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
              <ltietje@...> wrote:

              > Hi Robert
              > Thank you for the tip about Eugene O. Goldbeck. I found some nice
              > ones here:
              > http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/panoramic_photography/
              > panoramic_home.html

              This one will be hard to beat
              Zoomify
              http://photodes100ans.com/

              360 with fullscreen
              http://www.photodes100ans.com/photo-360.htm

              Hans
            • CW
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was used to shoot this?
                If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal length of 200mm+
                there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would result in a
                gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?

                Colin

                  > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was used to shoot this?
                  > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal length of 200mm+
                  > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would result in a
                  > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?

                  No
                  If you read the page you see that this was a Roundshot.
                  http://photodes100ans.com/roundshot-d3.htm

                  Hans

                • CW
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                    As it wasn't in English, I didn't read it-no arrogance intended. I'll read
                    the Roundshot site. They have an English version.

                    Colin

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                      If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                      photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?

                      Colin

                      From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                        hi colin,

                        the resolution isn't crazy high, the final panorama has 48000x5500px.
                        to get there, guessing that it was taken with a 5D, you can take two rows of 24 at around 65mm focal length, so 48 shots is all that it takes to make this one. (still 25% overkill for the 255x36cm print size).

                        still a nice example.

                        -joergen

                        > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head was
                        > used to shoot this?
                        > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a focal
                        > length of 200mm+
                        > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would
                        > result in a
                        > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?
                        >

                        > Colin

                      • Joergen Geerds
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                          bummer, my french isn't good enough, and i forgot about the roundshot, which makes things like this very easy (only 1-4 sec for a 360?)

                          thx for digging that up
                          -joergen

                          > > Anyone care to guess what focal length and pano head
                          > was used to shoot this?
                          > > If the FOV was say 5 degrees, implying at least a
                          > focal length of 200mm+
                          > > there would have been 400-500 shots taken, which would
                          > result in a
                          > > gigapixel+ image. Something like that, yes/no?
                          >
                          > No
                          > If you read the page you see that this was a Roundshot.
                          > http://photodes100ans.com/roundshot-d3.htm
                          >
                          > Hans

                        • Hans Nyberg
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "CW" <cwest@...> wrote:

                            > If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                            > photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?

                            It all depends on what resolution you really need.
                            I doubt that you would ever need more than 22000 pixels width for this.
                            That means that you can use a 28mm lens on a 5D with only 10 images,

                            22000 pixels means 1,8meters at 300ppi.

                            Hans
                          • Hans Nyberg
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "CW" <cwest@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > If one doesn't have a Seitx camera, which is about $35K USD, how could this
                              > > photo (http://photodes100ans.com/) be constructed?
                              >
                              > It all depends on what resolution you really need.
                              > I doubt that you would ever need more than 22000 pixels width for this.
                              > That means that you can use a 28mm lens on a 5D with only 10 images,
                              >
                              > 22000 pixels means 1,8meters at 300ppi.

                              That would also helped getting the people in the frontline sharp. If you zoom in you see
                              they are not.

                              Actually in this low light situation I would have prefered a 12mp with a 1,5 sensor and a
                              20mm lens for better depth of field

                              Hans
                            • CW
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 6, 2008
                                If you zoom in to the max that the the image allows, do you consider the
                                image not sharp? For the image to be sharper, what focal length would you
                                use?

                                Colin

                              • jlemon0721@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 9, 2011
                                  Bedford and north 10th street
                                  Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                                  From: "Mark Fink" <markdfink@...>
                                  Sender: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:19:39 -0500
                                  To: <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com>
                                  ReplyTo: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                  Subject: RE: [PanoToolsNG] (unknown)

                                  That depends – Williamsburg , Where?

                                  Mark

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 8, 2013
                                    Sorry for the noise folks. Another compromised account by the look. The usual steps have been taken.

                                    KathyW,
                                    Co-owner / moderator, PanoToolsNG