Re: hugin lens settings (was:Is there anything Ptgui can do thatpanotools cant)

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
      Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:

      > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
      > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
      >
      > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
      > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
      >
      > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

      I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
      the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
      shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...

      best regards
      Offenburger Str. 33
      79108 Freiburg
    • Garrett Unglaub
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
        So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
        then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
        let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
        pictures tomorrow

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik

        schrieb Garrett Unglaub:

        > > the images are converted from raw so there is
        no exif

        > Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data
        in the result files?
        > Even dcraw (8.88) does!
        >
        > However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw
        file to result file.

      • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
          If you have your own EXIF information, you can likewise use exiftool to add
          them to any image you like.

          Though I am not sure why you wouldn't want the EXIF info from your original
          raw to be copied to your converted image.(or why your raw converter is not
          doing that anyway. Most do.)
          Unless you are cropping your image, then you may want to change some of the
          EXIF information.

          Cheers,
          Darren.

          )So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
          )then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
          )let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
          )pictures tomorrow
          )
          )
          )--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik
          )Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
          )>
          )> Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11
          )schrieb Garrett Unglaub:
          )>
          )> > the images are converted from raw so there is
          )no exif
          )>
          )> Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data
          )in the result files?
          )> Even dcraw (8.88) does!
          )>
          )> However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw
          )file to result file.
          )>
          )> best regards
          )> --
          )> Erik Krause
          )> Offenburger Str. 33
          )> 79108 Freiburg
          )>
          )
        • Garrett Unglaub
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
            Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
            shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

            I changed my lens data to 24mm 1.6x multiplier rectilinear and i end
            up with this http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t1.jpg or
            http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t2.jpg

            I am trying to get it to look like this
            http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/backyard.html

            i get that problem in ptgui if i have a focal length that is higher
            than it should be

            > Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:
            >
            > > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
            > > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
            > >
            > > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
            > > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
            > >
            > > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.
            >
            > I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
            > the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
            > shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...
            >
            > best regards
            > --
            > Erik Krause
            > Offenburger Str. 33
            > 79108 Freiburg

          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...>
              wrote:

              > Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
              > shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

              Maybe you are relying too much on automatic features. These don't
              always work perfectly - neither in Hugin nor in PTGui. Have you
              checked the control point assignments, particularly those between
              images in the neighborhood of the obvious discontinuities of the
              output image? With some intelligent manual intervention, you can
              easily get more-or-less identical results from both PTGui and Hugin.

              As it's a 360 degree panorama, the hfov of the lens will be evaluated
              accurately by the optimizer, provided you have a good spread of
              control points. The optimizer gives a lot of control over what does
              and doesn't get changed in the optimization if you choose to use it.
              It can often help if you initialize the yaw values of the images to
              their approximate known values. (In PTGui, use the Fill Yaw button on
              the Image Parameters tab to automatically calculate the values).

              While your PTGui result is quite good, it could do with levelling to
              get the vertical features properly upright. (Don't overlook the
              cloud reflections in the lake, which should also be vertically
              aligned). If you aren't familiar with using t1 (vertical line)
              control points, I suggest you take a look at this tutorial:

              http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm

              John
            • Garrett Unglaub
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008