Re: [PanoToolsNG] Orchestra panorama

  • Jaume Llorens
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
      Thanks Marc,
      The orchestra asked me to design their website. I propose them to try to
      shot a panorama to include in the web.
      This day was perfect because the concert took place in the main hall of
      the Girona's Auditorium.. The orchestra obtained to me the permisions
      required to get in.
      It was a privilege to be as close to the musicians. I enjoyed it.
      jaume

      En/na Marc Huff ha escrit:

    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
        Quoting Jaume Llorens <jaume@...>:

        > I'd like to share with you two panoramas of this weekend. It is the
        > Girona's Orchestra during the acoustic test, just before the concert. I
        > was very lucky to be alowed to move among the musicians during the final
        > rehearsal. I hope you like them:
        >
        > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html
        > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html
        >
        > (Canon EOS 5D + EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye: 1/60Seg., F6.3, ISO800)

        they are very nice, you can imagine the music fitting in with the colours.
        there is a slight stitch glitch on the conductor's music in no2

        regards

        mick

        > Salut!
        >
        > Jaume Llorens
        > http://www.vistes360.com

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
          Those are lovely and really capture the feeling of the moment. Any
          chance you were able to record them? It would be nice with sound,
          which might be allowed if they put it on their site.

          John

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          jriley@...

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
            Quoting crane@...:

            > Quoting Jaume Llorens <jaume@...>:
            >
            > > I'd like to share with you two panoramas of this weekend. It is the
            > > Girona's Orchestra during the acoustic test, just before the concert. I
            > > was very lucky to be alowed to move among the musicians during the final
            > > rehearsal. I hope you like them:
            > >
            > > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html
            > > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html
            > >
            > > (Canon EOS 5D + EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye: 1/60Seg., F6.3, ISO800)
            >
            > they are very nice, you can imagine the music fitting in with the colours.
            > there is a slight stitch glitch on the conductor's music in no2

            and also in the ceiling. not hard to fix.

            It would be interesting to make different shutter speed exposures for
            different parts of the panorama. If there was a player who was been
            particularly active. then only he or she would be blurred say and the
            conductor very crisp.

            regards

            mick

            > regards
            >

            > mick
            >

            > > Salut!
            > >
            > > Jaume Llorens
            > > http://www.vistes360.com

          • Robert Slade
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
              Hello Jaume,

              Some very nice work, I have previously found it difficult to stitch
              panoramas involving people.

              I have recently purchased the 15mm fisheye to use full-frame and was
              wondering what combination of shots you use?

              My initial experiments show I could get away with 6+1 but am wondering
              if 6+2 would work better?

              Regards,
              Robert Slade
              --

              Jaume Llorens wrote:

              > I'd like to share with you two panoramas of this weekend. It is the
              > Girona's Orchestra during the acoustic test, just before the concert. I
              > was very lucky to be alowed to move among the musicians during the final
              > rehearsal. I hope you like them:
              >
              > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html
              > <http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html>
              > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html
              > <http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html>
              >
              > (Canon EOS 5D + EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye: 1/60Seg., F6.3, ISO800)
              >
              > Salut!

            • Jaume Llorens
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                Thanks mick. I'll correct the stitch mistakes.
                Different speeds.. well I was too much nervous to try something like
                that. I had only this opportunity and less than an hour to take some
                panoramas and other single shots to use in the website.

                En/na crane@... ha escrit:

                > Quoting crane@... <mailto:crane%40ukonline.co.uk>:
                >

                > It would be interesting to make different shutter speed exposures for
                > different parts of the panorama. If there was a player who was been
                > particularly active. then only he or she would be blurred say and the
                > conductor very crisp.

              • Jaume Llorens
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Sure it would be nice! :-)

                  En/na John Riley ha escrit:

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                    In this case I shot 8+1+3 (2 nadirs with the nn3 and 1 hand held)
                    But usualy shot 6+1+1 or 6+1+3
                    regards
                    Jaume

                    En/na Robert Slade ha escrit:

                    > Hello Jaume,
                    >
                    > My initial experiments show I could get away with 6+1 but am wondering
                    > if 6+2 would work better?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Robert Slade

                  • Robert Slade
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Thanks for the information Jaume.

                      > In this case I shot 8+1+3 (2 nadirs with the nn3 and 1 hand held)

                      What is the difference between the two NN3 nadirs? Presumably the third
                      nadir is without the tripod?

                      Do you then use the PTGui "viewpoint correction" feature to stitch the
                      third nadir?

                      Sorry for the questions, but I have been trying to create a workflow to
                      create a nadir without showing the tripod and have had some difficulty
                      using viewpoint correction.

                      Regards,
                      Robert Slade
                      --

                      > But usualy shot 6+1+1 or 6+1+3
                      > regards
                      > Jaume
                      >
                      > En/na Robert Slade ha escrit:
                      > >
                      > > Hello Jaume,
                      > >
                      > > My initial experiments show I could get away with 6+1 but am wondering
                      > > if 6+2 would work better?
                      > >
                      > > Regards,
                      > > Robert Slade
                    • Keith Martin
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                        Sometime around 3/11/08 (at 19:42 +0000) Robert Slade said:

                        >I have been trying to create a workflow to
                        >create a nadir without showing the tripod and have had some difficulty
                        >using viewpoint correction.

                        Most of the time I shoot 3 downwards too. The first two are with the
                        head rotated to different points, so I can combine the shots and mask
                        out all but the enter, and the third is shot either hand-held (either
                        off or still on the tripod) or with the tripod moved sideways and
                        tipped so the camera is back in the same place. That one's used to
                        fill in the center of the previous composite shot, eliminating the
                        last trace of head and tripod.

                        I need to experiment more with PTGui's Viewpoint Correction, but this
                        process has worked well for me.

                      • Mark D. Fink
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                          >Thanks for the information Jaume.
                          >
                          >> In this case I shot 8+1+3 (2 nadirs with the nn3 and 1 hand held)
                          >
                          >What is the difference between the two NN3 nadirs? Presumably the third
                          >nadir is without the tripod?
                          >
                          >Do you then use the PTGui "viewpoint correction" feature to stitch the
                          >third nadir?
                          >
                          >Sorry for the questions, but I have been trying to create a workflow to
                          >create a nadir without showing the tripod and have had some difficulty
                          >using viewpoint correction.
                          >
                          >Regards,
                          >Robert Slade

                          Hi Robert,

                          I recently updated the wiki on this topic with a video tutorial on viewpoint
                          correction. You can find the wiki entry here:
                          <http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots>. The video link is at the
                          bottom of the page, or directly here:
                          <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYQ61_bOb0>.

                          I also have a video tutorial on shooting the nadir shot, (using one of my
                          Pinnacle VR heads), that you can see at www.pinnacle-vr.com.

                          Hope this helps!

                          Mark
                          www.360cities.net
                          www.pinnacle-vr.com
                          www.northernlight.net
                        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                            Quoting Jaume Llorens <jaume@...>:

                            > Thanks mick. I'll correct the stitch mistakes.
                            > Different speeds.. well I was too much nervous to try something like
                            > that. I had only this opportunity and less than an hour to take some
                            > panoramas and other single shots to use in the website.

                            the next time you go back ask why the conducter wears suede shoes and the
                            musicians patent leather
                            =0)

                            mick

                          • Robert Slade
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                              Hello Keith,

                              Thanks for the information, please see my responses below.

                              Keith Martin wrote:

                              > > Sometime around 3/11/08 (at 19:42 +0000) Robert Slade said:
                              >
                              > >I have been trying to create a workflow to
                              > >create a nadir without showing the tripod and have had some difficulty
                              > >using viewpoint correction.
                              >
                              > Most of the time I shoot 3 downwards too. The first two are with the
                              > head rotated to different points, so I can combine the shots and mask
                              > out all but the center,

                              Do you mean you move the tripod legs so that you can see what was
                              previously hidden behind them?

                              > and the third is shot either hand-held (either
                              > off or still on the tripod) or with the tripod moved sideways and
                              > tipped so the camera is back in the same place. That one's used to
                              > fill in the center of the previous composite shot, eliminating the
                              > last trace of head and tripod.

                              OK, that makes sense.

                              > I need to experiment more with PTGui's Viewpoint Correction, but this
                              > process has worked well for me.

                              The problem I had using viewpoint correction in PTGui was that it worked
                              better by including the shifted nadir in the optimization!

                              Probably this problem was caused by my technique. I have a tripod with
                              an invertible head, so I took the nadir by inverting the head. The
                              viewpoint displacement was therefore about six inches vertically instead
                              of to one side. I don't know if this is allowed by PTGui even when I
                              untick the "optimize using" box and tick the "viewpoint" box for that image?

                              Currently I am using Pano2VR to create cube face JPGs, cloning out the
                              tripod in the nadir face, then creating a SWF file from these cube
                              faces. This also solves the problem of making the same patches in three
                              bracketed HDR exposures.

                              Regards,
                              Robert Slade
                              --
                            • Sacha Griffin
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                Don't do that.

                                Optimize all others first, and then optimize ypr for the nadir and nothing
                                for the others. Then optimize the ypr+viewpoint.

                                I haven't been able to optimize viewpoint straight off without getting
                                really bad optimizations often.

                                //

                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                  Sometime around 3/11/08 (at 20:43 +0000) Robert Slade said:

                                  >Do you mean you move the tripod legs so that you can see what was
                                  >previously hidden behind them?

                                  Oh no no no... not until the third nadir shot anyway. :-)

                                  You *are* using a proper pano head of some sort, aren't you? What I
                                  meant was that I rotate the camera (using the spherical pano head
                                  arm) so it points downwards, at the base of the pano head and the
                                  tripod, and take a shot, then turn the whole thing 90 degrees and
                                  take another shot. Each shot has the pano head base in the middle and
                                  the arm going up one side, but the second shot has a section that can
                                  be used to mask out the pano head arm in the first shot.

                                  Doing this without a proper pano head (homemade or commercial) is
                                  always going to be difficult at the very least. Certainly not
                                  impossible, but not at all easy or reliable.

                                • Mark D. Fink
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                    > The problem I had using viewpoint correction in PTGui was that it worked
                                    > better by including the shifted nadir in the optimization!
                                    >
                                    > Probably this problem was caused by my technique. I have a tripod with
                                    > an invertible head, so I took the nadir by inverting the head. The
                                    > viewpoint displacement was therefore about six inches vertically instead
                                    > of to one side. I don't know if this is allowed by PTGui even when I
                                    > untick the "optimize using" box and tick the "viewpoint" box for that
                                    > image?
                                    >
                                    > Currently I am using Pano2VR to create cube face JPGs, cloning out the
                                    > tripod in the nadir face, then creating a SWF file from these cube
                                    > faces. This also solves the problem of making the same patches in three
                                    > bracketed HDR exposures.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    > Robert Slade

                                    I've found, by accident, that my first attempt at optimizing for viewpoint
                                    would be off by thousands of pixels unless I first went into the Panorama
                                    Editor (Ctrl E) and manually moved just the nadir image so that it was close
                                    to where it needed to be. Then, optimizing went smoothly with it being 7 or
                                    fewer pixels off. I now ALWAYS do this step first before optimizing for
                                    viewpoint and haven't had it fail.

                                    Mark
                                    www.360cities.net
                                    www.pinnacle-vr.com
                                    www.northernlight.net
                                  • Robert Slade
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                      Mark D. Fink wrote:

                                      > I've found, by accident, that my first attempt at optimizing for viewpoint
                                      > would be off by thousands of pixels unless I first went into the Panorama
                                      > Editor (Ctrl E) and manually moved just the nadir image so that it was close
                                      > to where it needed to be. Then, optimizing went smoothly with it being 7 or
                                      > fewer pixels off. I now ALWAYS do this step first before optimizing for
                                      > viewpoint and haven't had it fail.

                                      Thanks to the comments received on this topic, and looking at your
                                      tutorial Mark, I think my problem was due to only optimizing once
                                      without including the nadir control points.

                                      Now I have revisited my "problem project" and optimized once without the
                                      nadir, then again with the nadir AND the viewpoint correction box ticked
                                      for that image. The results are much better this time.

                                      Thanks again for the assistance everyone, this list is a really useful
                                      resource!

                                      Regards,
                                      Robert Slade
                                      --
                                    • Robert Slade
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                        Hello Keith,

                                        I have the NN3 pano head. Purchased it very shortly after starting to
                                        shoot panoramics and stuggling to get any decent stitch from images shot
                                        with my normal tripod head.

                                        I understand now why you rotate the head for different nadirs, but I
                                        usually recover the image hidden by the pano arm from the non-nadir
                                        shots by applying a blending prority.

                                        Do you include both versions of the nadir in the stitcher project, or do
                                        you edit/clone the nadir before importing to the project?

                                        Regards,
                                        Robert Slade

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                          Sometime around 4/11/08 (at 10:23 +0000) Robert Slade said:

                                          >Do you include both versions of the nadir in the stitcher project, or do
                                          >you edit/clone the nadir before importing to the project?

                                          My own normal workflow has been to use Photoshop to create a single
                                          nadir image with no tripod or head content. That way the stitcher has
                                          no more effort for the nadir than it does for the zenith.

                                          Of course this means I've simply transferred the effort from one part
                                          of the process to another - but it means I make immediate choices
                                          regarding the creation and look of the composite nadir rather than
                                          waiting 'til I see the stitched result. Pros and cons, swings and
                                          roundabouts, six of one and half a dozen of the other...

                                          There are other methods, including using multiple nadir images with
                                          masks in the project. Whatever works well for you is good, although
                                          it is important to remember that there may be better methods.

                                          I'll be exploring both the Viewpoint Correction and the alpha mask
                                          methods a little more in the near future, but first I have a couple
                                          of things I've been asked to evaluate, on top of a rather full
                                          teaching schedule. Oh, for a 30-hour day! :-)

                                        • pedro_silva58
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                            keith, why 90 degrees, and not 180? it would seem that 180 would keep
                                            the "two arms" as far as possible and might not be worse.
                                            cheers, pedro

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                              Sometime around 4/11/08 (at 11:23 +0000) pedro_silva58 said:

                                              >keith, why 90 degrees, and not 180?

                                              Heh. You'd be forgiven for thinking that my brain misfired when I
                                              typed that. But actually, if you have a pano head with a lower arm
                                              that projects out from the base in both directions (to allow
                                              adjustment for different camera bodies) then a 180 degree turn
                                              wouldn't be ideal.

                                              The 360P Absolute head doesn't have an arm that projects out on the
                                              far side of the base, so 180 degrees is a good option there. The 360P
                                              Adjuste, Nodal Ninja heads, QuickPan Pro and some others have arms
                                              that do project out in this way, so something other than 180 degrees
                                              is best.

                                            • Hans Nyberg
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pedro_silva58" <pedro_silva58@...> wrote:

                                                > keith, why 90 degrees, and not 180? it would seem that 180 would keep
                                                > the "two arms" as far as possible and might not be worse.
                                                > cheers, pedro

                                                Why even take a downshot with the panohead in it.
                                                I guess most of us who use a fullframe fisheye take -10 or even -15 down which
                                                completely removes the need for a downshot with the head in it.

                                                For the very small area left in the nadir you do not even need to dismount the camera if
                                                you use my method.
                                                http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/Nadir/

                                                Taking a perfect nadir is in most cases done in less than 30 seconds by tilting the tripod.
                                                You can do it without any support as long as you do not need very long exposures.

                                                And you can even stitch it in PTGui without using viewpoint.

                                                Hans
                                              • Sacha Griffin
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                  That looks really scary. Have you ever had an accident?

                                                  I prefer using a tripod with a center column, then you can raise it and
                                                  swing it back over the nadir, and use a counter weight on the center columns
                                                  hook.

                                                  This is very stable. I don't mark the tripod footprint, but I probably
                                                  should, as sometimes I don't get enough coverage.

                                                  Viewpoint is good, even for our methods, to handle any unfortunate parallax
                                                  errors. Or it lets you be a little sloppier and quicker.

                                                  Sacha Griffin

                                                  Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                                                  http://www.southern-digital.com

                                                  http://www.seeit360.net

                                                  404-551-4275

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                    Sometime around 4/11/08 (at 13:14 +0000) Hans Nyberg said:

                                                    >I guess most of us who use a fullframe fisheye take -10 or even -15 down which
                                                    >completely removes the need for a downshot with the head in it.

                                                    Hmm. I wouldn't want to quantify how many people do that with a
                                                    full-frame fisheye, but it is certainly another promising technique
                                                    that I must try out properly.

                                                    Thanks for the reminder! :-)

                                                  • Hans Nyberg
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008

                                                      > That looks really scary. Have you ever had an accident?

                                                      Its much easier and safer than it looks on image.
                                                      Outdoor you almost never have a surface which is not safe.
                                                      Indoors carpets are safe. On a slippery surface like the one on my images you just need a
                                                      pad under.
                                                      But actually in most cases you do not need the extra monopod leg.
                                                      Extending the 3rd leg on the tripod 20 cm and one foot on it is enough usually.
                                                      And for 1/25 sec or faster you do not even need that, just hold the tripod with one hand.

                                                      > I prefer using a tripod with a center column, then you can raise it and
                                                      > swing it back over the nadir, and use a counter weight on the center columns
                                                      > hook.

                                                      I tried that but that really scared me. Even just 30 cm from the center you get a lot of
                                                      weight. It needs a heavy tripod. Forget about Carbon

                                                      Hans
                                                    • Sacha Griffin
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                        Yes, I agree, but just like yours, you can always hold steady the other end
                                                        of the center column, in case you forget your counter weight.

                                                        I usually shoot with the legs as close as possible, sometimes with lockup,
                                                        in case its wobbly, and then I don't need to angle as much.

                                                        I only need to remember roughly the height of the lens, and eyeball the
                                                        orginal nadir point. Viewpoint handles the parallax. If I have an assistant,
                                                        they can mark the exact original lens location with a finger, until I
                                                        re-setup for the nadir shot.

                                                        That works fast, and usually requires very little viewpoint correction. I
                                                        love not having to retouch the nadir. Shooting an actual shot, is even
                                                        quicker than having to do a photoshop job with clone/heal.

                                                        Sacha Griffin

                                                        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                                                        http://www.southern-digital.com

                                                        http://www.seeit360.net

                                                        404-551-4275

                                                        > That looks really scary. Have you ever had an accident?

                                                        Its much easier and safer than it looks on image.
                                                        Outdoor you almost never have a surface which is not safe.
                                                        Indoors carpets are safe. On a slippery surface like the one on my images
                                                        you just need a
                                                        pad under.
                                                        But actually in most cases you do not need the extra monopod leg.
                                                        Extending the 3rd leg on the tripod 20 cm and one foot on it is enough
                                                        usually.
                                                        And for 1/25 sec or faster you do not even need that, just hold the tripod
                                                        with one hand.

                                                        > I prefer using a tripod with a center column, then you can raise it and
                                                        > swing it back over the nadir, and use a counter weight on the center
                                                        columns
                                                        > hook.

                                                        I tried that but that really scared me. Even just 30 cm from the center you
                                                        get a lot of
                                                        weight. It needs a heavy tripod. Forget about Carbon

                                                        Hans

                                                        .

                                                        d=24317/stime=1225811646/nc1=3848640/nc2=4025373/nc3=5349273>