Re: [PanoToolsNG] Orchestra panorama

  • Marc Huff
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
      These are beautiful... well composed.

      I like the bottle of water by the conductor.

      How did you get permission to do a shoot like this? Wondering for my own
      work around my local orchestra.

      _Marc Huff
      WHdigital, Inc.

      On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Jaume Llorens <jaume@...> wrote:

      > I'd like to share with you two panoramas of this weekend. It is the
      > Girona's Orchestra during the acoustic test, just before the concert. I
      > was very lucky to be alowed to move among the musicians during the final
      > rehearsal. I hope you like them:
      >
      > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html
      > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html
      >
      > (Canon EOS 5D + EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye: 1/60Seg., F6.3, ISO800)
      >
      > Salut!
      >
      > Jaume Llorens
      > http://www.vistes360.com

    • Jaume Llorens
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
        Thanks Marc,
        The orchestra asked me to design their website. I propose them to try to
        shot a panorama to include in the web.
        This day was perfect because the concert took place in the main hall of
        the Girona's Auditorium.. The orchestra obtained to me the permisions
        required to get in.
        It was a privilege to be as close to the musicians. I enjoyed it.
        jaume

        En/na Marc Huff ha escrit:

      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
          Quoting Jaume Llorens <jaume@...>:

          > I'd like to share with you two panoramas of this weekend. It is the
          > Girona's Orchestra during the acoustic test, just before the concert. I
          > was very lucky to be alowed to move among the musicians during the final
          > rehearsal. I hope you like them:
          >
          > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html
          > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html
          >
          > (Canon EOS 5D + EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye: 1/60Seg., F6.3, ISO800)

          they are very nice, you can imagine the music fitting in with the colours.
          there is a slight stitch glitch on the conductor's music in no2

          regards

          mick

          > Salut!
          >
          > Jaume Llorens
          > http://www.vistes360.com

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
            Those are lovely and really capture the feeling of the moment. Any
            chance you were able to record them? It would be nice with sound,
            which might be allowed if they put it on their site.

            John

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
              Quoting crane@...:

              > Quoting Jaume Llorens <jaume@...>:
              >
              > > I'd like to share with you two panoramas of this weekend. It is the
              > > Girona's Orchestra during the acoustic test, just before the concert. I
              > > was very lucky to be alowed to move among the musicians during the final
              > > rehearsal. I hope you like them:
              > >
              > > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html
              > > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html
              > >
              > > (Canon EOS 5D + EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye: 1/60Seg., F6.3, ISO800)
              >
              > they are very nice, you can imagine the music fitting in with the colours.
              > there is a slight stitch glitch on the conductor's music in no2

              and also in the ceiling. not hard to fix.

              It would be interesting to make different shutter speed exposures for
              different parts of the panorama. If there was a player who was been
              particularly active. then only he or she would be blurred say and the
              conductor very crisp.

              regards

              mick

              > regards
              >

              > mick
              >

              > > Salut!
              > >
              > > Jaume Llorens
              > > http://www.vistes360.com

            • Robert Slade
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                Hello Jaume,

                Some very nice work, I have previously found it difficult to stitch
                panoramas involving people.

                I have recently purchased the 15mm fisheye to use full-frame and was
                wondering what combination of shots you use?

                My initial experiments show I could get away with 6+1 but am wondering
                if 6+2 would work better?

                Regards,
                Robert Slade
                --

                Jaume Llorens wrote:

                > I'd like to share with you two panoramas of this weekend. It is the
                > Girona's Orchestra during the acoustic test, just before the concert. I
                > was very lucky to be alowed to move among the musicians during the final
                > rehearsal. I hope you like them:
                >
                > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html
                > <http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg1.html>
                > http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html
                > <http://vistes360.com/clients/odg/odg2.html>
                >
                > (Canon EOS 5D + EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye: 1/60Seg., F6.3, ISO800)
                >
                > Salut!

              • Jaume Llorens
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Thanks mick. I'll correct the stitch mistakes.
                  Different speeds.. well I was too much nervous to try something like
                  that. I had only this opportunity and less than an hour to take some
                  panoramas and other single shots to use in the website.

                  En/na crane@... ha escrit:

                  > Quoting crane@... <mailto:crane%40ukonline.co.uk>:
                  >

                  > It would be interesting to make different shutter speed exposures for
                  > different parts of the panorama. If there was a player who was been
                  > particularly active. then only he or she would be blurred say and the
                  > conductor very crisp.

                • Jaume Llorens
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Sure it would be nice! :-)

                    En/na John Riley ha escrit:

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                      In this case I shot 8+1+3 (2 nadirs with the nn3 and 1 hand held)
                      But usualy shot 6+1+1 or 6+1+3
                      regards
                      Jaume

                      En/na Robert Slade ha escrit:

                      > Hello Jaume,
                      >
                      > My initial experiments show I could get away with 6+1 but am wondering
                      > if 6+2 would work better?
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Robert Slade

                    • Robert Slade
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                        Thanks for the information Jaume.

                        > In this case I shot 8+1+3 (2 nadirs with the nn3 and 1 hand held)

                        What is the difference between the two NN3 nadirs? Presumably the third
                        nadir is without the tripod?

                        Do you then use the PTGui "viewpoint correction" feature to stitch the
                        third nadir?

                        Sorry for the questions, but I have been trying to create a workflow to
                        create a nadir without showing the tripod and have had some difficulty
                        using viewpoint correction.

                        Regards,
                        Robert Slade
                        --

                        > But usualy shot 6+1+1 or 6+1+3
                        > regards
                        > Jaume
                        >
                        > En/na Robert Slade ha escrit:
                        > >
                        > > Hello Jaume,
                        > >
                        > > My initial experiments show I could get away with 6+1 but am wondering
                        > > if 6+2 would work better?
                        > >
                        > > Regards,
                        > > Robert Slade
                      • Keith Martin
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                          Sometime around 3/11/08 (at 19:42 +0000) Robert Slade said:

                          >I have been trying to create a workflow to
                          >create a nadir without showing the tripod and have had some difficulty
                          >using viewpoint correction.

                          Most of the time I shoot 3 downwards too. The first two are with the
                          head rotated to different points, so I can combine the shots and mask
                          out all but the enter, and the third is shot either hand-held (either
                          off or still on the tripod) or with the tripod moved sideways and
                          tipped so the camera is back in the same place. That one's used to
                          fill in the center of the previous composite shot, eliminating the
                          last trace of head and tripod.

                          I need to experiment more with PTGui's Viewpoint Correction, but this
                          process has worked well for me.

                        • Mark D. Fink
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                            >Thanks for the information Jaume.
                            >
                            >> In this case I shot 8+1+3 (2 nadirs with the nn3 and 1 hand held)
                            >
                            >What is the difference between the two NN3 nadirs? Presumably the third
                            >nadir is without the tripod?
                            >
                            >Do you then use the PTGui "viewpoint correction" feature to stitch the
                            >third nadir?
                            >
                            >Sorry for the questions, but I have been trying to create a workflow to
                            >create a nadir without showing the tripod and have had some difficulty
                            >using viewpoint correction.
                            >
                            >Regards,
                            >Robert Slade

                            Hi Robert,

                            I recently updated the wiki on this topic with a video tutorial on viewpoint
                            correction. You can find the wiki entry here:
                            <http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_Nadir_Shots>. The video link is at the
                            bottom of the page, or directly here:
                            <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYQ61_bOb0>.

                            I also have a video tutorial on shooting the nadir shot, (using one of my
                            Pinnacle VR heads), that you can see at www.pinnacle-vr.com.

                            Hope this helps!

                            Mark
                            www.360cities.net
                            www.pinnacle-vr.com
                            www.northernlight.net
                          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                              Quoting Jaume Llorens <jaume@...>:

                              > Thanks mick. I'll correct the stitch mistakes.
                              > Different speeds.. well I was too much nervous to try something like
                              > that. I had only this opportunity and less than an hour to take some
                              > panoramas and other single shots to use in the website.

                              the next time you go back ask why the conducter wears suede shoes and the
                              musicians patent leather
                              =0)

                              mick

                            • Robert Slade
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                Hello Keith,

                                Thanks for the information, please see my responses below.

                                Keith Martin wrote:

                                > > Sometime around 3/11/08 (at 19:42 +0000) Robert Slade said:
                                >
                                > >I have been trying to create a workflow to
                                > >create a nadir without showing the tripod and have had some difficulty
                                > >using viewpoint correction.
                                >
                                > Most of the time I shoot 3 downwards too. The first two are with the
                                > head rotated to different points, so I can combine the shots and mask
                                > out all but the center,

                                Do you mean you move the tripod legs so that you can see what was
                                previously hidden behind them?

                                > and the third is shot either hand-held (either
                                > off or still on the tripod) or with the tripod moved sideways and
                                > tipped so the camera is back in the same place. That one's used to
                                > fill in the center of the previous composite shot, eliminating the
                                > last trace of head and tripod.

                                OK, that makes sense.

                                > I need to experiment more with PTGui's Viewpoint Correction, but this
                                > process has worked well for me.

                                The problem I had using viewpoint correction in PTGui was that it worked
                                better by including the shifted nadir in the optimization!

                                Probably this problem was caused by my technique. I have a tripod with
                                an invertible head, so I took the nadir by inverting the head. The
                                viewpoint displacement was therefore about six inches vertically instead
                                of to one side. I don't know if this is allowed by PTGui even when I
                                untick the "optimize using" box and tick the "viewpoint" box for that image?

                                Currently I am using Pano2VR to create cube face JPGs, cloning out the
                                tripod in the nadir face, then creating a SWF file from these cube
                                faces. This also solves the problem of making the same patches in three
                                bracketed HDR exposures.

                                Regards,
                                Robert Slade
                                --
                              • Sacha Griffin
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                  Don't do that.

                                  Optimize all others first, and then optimize ypr for the nadir and nothing
                                  for the others. Then optimize the ypr+viewpoint.

                                  I haven't been able to optimize viewpoint straight off without getting
                                  really bad optimizations often.

                                  //

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                    Sometime around 3/11/08 (at 20:43 +0000) Robert Slade said:

                                    >Do you mean you move the tripod legs so that you can see what was
                                    >previously hidden behind them?

                                    Oh no no no... not until the third nadir shot anyway. :-)

                                    You *are* using a proper pano head of some sort, aren't you? What I
                                    meant was that I rotate the camera (using the spherical pano head
                                    arm) so it points downwards, at the base of the pano head and the
                                    tripod, and take a shot, then turn the whole thing 90 degrees and
                                    take another shot. Each shot has the pano head base in the middle and
                                    the arm going up one side, but the second shot has a section that can
                                    be used to mask out the pano head arm in the first shot.

                                    Doing this without a proper pano head (homemade or commercial) is
                                    always going to be difficult at the very least. Certainly not
                                    impossible, but not at all easy or reliable.

                                  • Mark D. Fink
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                      > The problem I had using viewpoint correction in PTGui was that it worked
                                      > better by including the shifted nadir in the optimization!
                                      >
                                      > Probably this problem was caused by my technique. I have a tripod with
                                      > an invertible head, so I took the nadir by inverting the head. The
                                      > viewpoint displacement was therefore about six inches vertically instead
                                      > of to one side. I don't know if this is allowed by PTGui even when I
                                      > untick the "optimize using" box and tick the "viewpoint" box for that
                                      > image?
                                      >
                                      > Currently I am using Pano2VR to create cube face JPGs, cloning out the
                                      > tripod in the nadir face, then creating a SWF file from these cube
                                      > faces. This also solves the problem of making the same patches in three
                                      > bracketed HDR exposures.
                                      >
                                      > Regards,
                                      > Robert Slade

                                      I've found, by accident, that my first attempt at optimizing for viewpoint
                                      would be off by thousands of pixels unless I first went into the Panorama
                                      Editor (Ctrl E) and manually moved just the nadir image so that it was close
                                      to where it needed to be. Then, optimizing went smoothly with it being 7 or
                                      fewer pixels off. I now ALWAYS do this step first before optimizing for
                                      viewpoint and haven't had it fail.

                                      Mark
                                      www.360cities.net
                                      www.pinnacle-vr.com
                                      www.northernlight.net
                                    • Robert Slade
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 3, 2008
                                        Mark D. Fink wrote:

                                        > I've found, by accident, that my first attempt at optimizing for viewpoint
                                        > would be off by thousands of pixels unless I first went into the Panorama
                                        > Editor (Ctrl E) and manually moved just the nadir image so that it was close
                                        > to where it needed to be. Then, optimizing went smoothly with it being 7 or
                                        > fewer pixels off. I now ALWAYS do this step first before optimizing for
                                        > viewpoint and haven't had it fail.

                                        Thanks to the comments received on this topic, and looking at your
                                        tutorial Mark, I think my problem was due to only optimizing once
                                        without including the nadir control points.

                                        Now I have revisited my "problem project" and optimized once without the
                                        nadir, then again with the nadir AND the viewpoint correction box ticked
                                        for that image. The results are much better this time.

                                        Thanks again for the assistance everyone, this list is a really useful
                                        resource!

                                        Regards,
                                        Robert Slade
                                        --
                                      • Robert Slade
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                          Hello Keith,

                                          I have the NN3 pano head. Purchased it very shortly after starting to
                                          shoot panoramics and stuggling to get any decent stitch from images shot
                                          with my normal tripod head.

                                          I understand now why you rotate the head for different nadirs, but I
                                          usually recover the image hidden by the pano arm from the non-nadir
                                          shots by applying a blending prority.

                                          Do you include both versions of the nadir in the stitcher project, or do
                                          you edit/clone the nadir before importing to the project?

                                          Regards,
                                          Robert Slade

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                            Sometime around 4/11/08 (at 10:23 +0000) Robert Slade said:

                                            >Do you include both versions of the nadir in the stitcher project, or do
                                            >you edit/clone the nadir before importing to the project?

                                            My own normal workflow has been to use Photoshop to create a single
                                            nadir image with no tripod or head content. That way the stitcher has
                                            no more effort for the nadir than it does for the zenith.

                                            Of course this means I've simply transferred the effort from one part
                                            of the process to another - but it means I make immediate choices
                                            regarding the creation and look of the composite nadir rather than
                                            waiting 'til I see the stitched result. Pros and cons, swings and
                                            roundabouts, six of one and half a dozen of the other...

                                            There are other methods, including using multiple nadir images with
                                            masks in the project. Whatever works well for you is good, although
                                            it is important to remember that there may be better methods.

                                            I'll be exploring both the Viewpoint Correction and the alpha mask
                                            methods a little more in the near future, but first I have a couple
                                            of things I've been asked to evaluate, on top of a rather full
                                            teaching schedule. Oh, for a 30-hour day! :-)

                                          • pedro_silva58
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                              keith, why 90 degrees, and not 180? it would seem that 180 would keep
                                              the "two arms" as far as possible and might not be worse.
                                              cheers, pedro

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                Sometime around 4/11/08 (at 11:23 +0000) pedro_silva58 said:

                                                >keith, why 90 degrees, and not 180?

                                                Heh. You'd be forgiven for thinking that my brain misfired when I
                                                typed that. But actually, if you have a pano head with a lower arm
                                                that projects out from the base in both directions (to allow
                                                adjustment for different camera bodies) then a 180 degree turn
                                                wouldn't be ideal.

                                                The 360P Absolute head doesn't have an arm that projects out on the
                                                far side of the base, so 180 degrees is a good option there. The 360P
                                                Adjuste, Nodal Ninja heads, QuickPan Pro and some others have arms
                                                that do project out in this way, so something other than 180 degrees
                                                is best.

                                              • Hans Nyberg
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pedro_silva58" <pedro_silva58@...> wrote:

                                                  > keith, why 90 degrees, and not 180? it would seem that 180 would keep
                                                  > the "two arms" as far as possible and might not be worse.
                                                  > cheers, pedro

                                                  Why even take a downshot with the panohead in it.
                                                  I guess most of us who use a fullframe fisheye take -10 or even -15 down which
                                                  completely removes the need for a downshot with the head in it.

                                                  For the very small area left in the nadir you do not even need to dismount the camera if
                                                  you use my method.
                                                  http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/Nadir/

                                                  Taking a perfect nadir is in most cases done in less than 30 seconds by tilting the tripod.
                                                  You can do it without any support as long as you do not need very long exposures.

                                                  And you can even stitch it in PTGui without using viewpoint.

                                                  Hans
                                                • Sacha Griffin
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                    That looks really scary. Have you ever had an accident?

                                                    I prefer using a tripod with a center column, then you can raise it and
                                                    swing it back over the nadir, and use a counter weight on the center columns
                                                    hook.

                                                    This is very stable. I don't mark the tripod footprint, but I probably
                                                    should, as sometimes I don't get enough coverage.

                                                    Viewpoint is good, even for our methods, to handle any unfortunate parallax
                                                    errors. Or it lets you be a little sloppier and quicker.

                                                    Sacha Griffin

                                                    Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                                                    http://www.southern-digital.com

                                                    http://www.seeit360.net

                                                    404-551-4275

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                      Sometime around 4/11/08 (at 13:14 +0000) Hans Nyberg said:

                                                      >I guess most of us who use a fullframe fisheye take -10 or even -15 down which
                                                      >completely removes the need for a downshot with the head in it.

                                                      Hmm. I wouldn't want to quantify how many people do that with a
                                                      full-frame fisheye, but it is certainly another promising technique
                                                      that I must try out properly.

                                                      Thanks for the reminder! :-)

                                                    • Hans Nyberg
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008

                                                        > That looks really scary. Have you ever had an accident?

                                                        Its much easier and safer than it looks on image.
                                                        Outdoor you almost never have a surface which is not safe.
                                                        Indoors carpets are safe. On a slippery surface like the one on my images you just need a
                                                        pad under.
                                                        But actually in most cases you do not need the extra monopod leg.
                                                        Extending the 3rd leg on the tripod 20 cm and one foot on it is enough usually.
                                                        And for 1/25 sec or faster you do not even need that, just hold the tripod with one hand.

                                                        > I prefer using a tripod with a center column, then you can raise it and
                                                        > swing it back over the nadir, and use a counter weight on the center columns
                                                        > hook.

                                                        I tried that but that really scared me. Even just 30 cm from the center you get a lot of
                                                        weight. It needs a heavy tripod. Forget about Carbon

                                                        Hans
                                                      • Sacha Griffin
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Nov 4, 2008
                                                          Yes, I agree, but just like yours, you can always hold steady the other end
                                                          of the center column, in case you forget your counter weight.

                                                          I usually shoot with the legs as close as possible, sometimes with lockup,
                                                          in case its wobbly, and then I don't need to angle as much.

                                                          I only need to remember roughly the height of the lens, and eyeball the
                                                          orginal nadir point. Viewpoint handles the parallax. If I have an assistant,
                                                          they can mark the exact original lens location with a finger, until I
                                                          re-setup for the nadir shot.

                                                          That works fast, and usually requires very little viewpoint correction. I
                                                          love not having to retouch the nadir. Shooting an actual shot, is even
                                                          quicker than having to do a photoshop job with clone/heal.

                                                          Sacha Griffin

                                                          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                                                          http://www.southern-digital.com

                                                          http://www.seeit360.net

                                                          404-551-4275

                                                          > That looks really scary. Have you ever had an accident?

                                                          Its much easier and safer than it looks on image.
                                                          Outdoor you almost never have a surface which is not safe.
                                                          Indoors carpets are safe. On a slippery surface like the one on my images
                                                          you just need a
                                                          pad under.
                                                          But actually in most cases you do not need the extra monopod leg.
                                                          Extending the 3rd leg on the tripod 20 cm and one foot on it is enough
                                                          usually.
                                                          And for 1/25 sec or faster you do not even need that, just hold the tripod
                                                          with one hand.

                                                          > I prefer using a tripod with a center column, then you can raise it and
                                                          > swing it back over the nadir, and use a counter weight on the center
                                                          columns
                                                          > hook.

                                                          I tried that but that really scared me. Even just 30 cm from the center you
                                                          get a lot of
                                                          weight. It needs a heavy tripod. Forget about Carbon

                                                          Hans

                                                          .

                                                          d=24317/stime=1225811646/nc1=3848640/nc2=4025373/nc3=5349273>