Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Is there anything Ptgui can do that panotools cant?

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
      Maybe there should be an option for hugin
      to not use exif data and to only use the
      values specified by the user.

      >>The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
      >>not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier

    • Garrett Unglaub
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008

        > Maybe there should be an option for hugin
        > to not use exif data and to only use the
        > values specified by the user.
        >

        > >>The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
        > >>not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier

        ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
        yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.

        it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

        it says i can open a lens file but i dont know how to create one.

        the images are converted from raw so there is no exif
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
          Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11 schrieb Garrett Unglaub:

          > the images are converted from raw so there is no exif

          Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data in the result files?
          Even dcraw (8.88) does!

          However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw file to result file.

          best regards
          Offenburger Str. 33
          79108 Freiburg
        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
            On Mon 03-Nov-2008 at 19:11 -0000, Garrett Unglaub wrote:

            >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
            >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.

            I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
            EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.

            >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

            I'd really like to see a .pto project that behaves like this.

            >it says i can open a lens file but i dont know how to create one.

            You can 'Save lens...' on the 'Camera and Lens' tab.

            --
            Bruno
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
              Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:

              > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
              > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
              >
              > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
              > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
              >
              > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

              I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
              the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
              shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...

              best regards
              Offenburger Str. 33
              79108 Freiburg
            • Garrett Unglaub
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
                then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
                let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
                pictures tomorrow

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik

              • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                  If you have your own EXIF information, you can likewise use exiftool to add
                  them to any image you like.

                  Though I am not sure why you wouldn't want the EXIF info from your original
                  raw to be copied to your converted image.(or why your raw converter is not
                  doing that anyway. Most do.)
                  Unless you are cropping your image, then you may want to change some of the
                  EXIF information.

                  Cheers,
                  Darren.

                  )So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
                  )then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
                  )let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
                  )pictures tomorrow
                  )
                  )
                  )--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik
                  )Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                  )>
                  )> Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11
                  )schrieb Garrett Unglaub:
                  )>
                  )> > the images are converted from raw so there is
                  )no exif
                  )>
                  )> Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data
                  )in the result files?
                  )> Even dcraw (8.88) does!
                  )>
                  )> However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw
                  )file to result file.
                  )>
                  )> best regards
                  )> --
                  )> Erik Krause
                  )> Offenburger Str. 33
                  )> 79108 Freiburg
                  )>
                  )
                • Garrett Unglaub
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                    Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                    shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

                    I changed my lens data to 24mm 1.6x multiplier rectilinear and i end
                    up with this http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t1.jpg or
                    http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t2.jpg

                    I am trying to get it to look like this
                    http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/backyard.html

                    i get that problem in ptgui if i have a focal length that is higher
                    than it should be

                    > Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:
                    >
                    > > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                    > > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
                    > >
                    > > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                    > > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
                    > >
                    > > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.
                    >
                    > I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
                    > the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
                    > shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...
                    >
                    > best regards
                    > --
                    > Erik Krause
                    > Offenburger Str. 33
                    > 79108 Freiburg

                  • John Houghton
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                      > shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

                      Maybe you are relying too much on automatic features. These don't
                      always work perfectly - neither in Hugin nor in PTGui. Have you
                      checked the control point assignments, particularly those between
                      images in the neighborhood of the obvious discontinuities of the
                      output image? With some intelligent manual intervention, you can
                      easily get more-or-less identical results from both PTGui and Hugin.

                      As it's a 360 degree panorama, the hfov of the lens will be evaluated
                      accurately by the optimizer, provided you have a good spread of
                      control points. The optimizer gives a lot of control over what does
                      and doesn't get changed in the optimization if you choose to use it.
                      It can often help if you initialize the yaw values of the images to
                      their approximate known values. (In PTGui, use the Fill Yaw button on
                      the Image Parameters tab to automatically calculate the values).

                      While your PTGui result is quite good, it could do with levelling to
                      get the vertical features properly upright. (Don't overlook the
                      cloud reflections in the lake, which should also be vertically
                      aligned). If you aren't familiar with using t1 (vertical line)
                      control points, I suggest you take a look at this tutorial:

                      http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm

                      John
                    • Garrett Unglaub
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008