Re: Is there anything Ptgui can do that panotools cant?

  • yuval_levy
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...> wrote:
      > The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
      > not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier

      - do you get a dialog asking to enter them?
      - what camera make/model do you have?
      - do you feed processed images, or directly out of camera?
      - what is the locale set on your computer (regional language setting)?
      is the decimal point a comma or a dot?
      - what system is it? Win/Lin/Mac? and what flavor of it?

      there are known issues with image files where the exif metadata is not
      complete, either because one of the pre-processing tool has omitted to
      copy them (e.g. using "save for web" in Adobe Photoshop will strip all
      the unnecessary weight); or because the camera manufacturer uses some
      esoteric own exif tag. This second case is what happens with many
      Olympus cameras. I have found a potential solution and will implement
      it in the near future.

      If you can put up two of your input images for download somewhere, I
      can have a look and try to identify what causes the unexpected
      behavior you are experiencing.

      It may take a while though, my free time use has radically changed,
      and I've gone from short to long focal distance, and from stills to
      movies:
      <http://panospace.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/the-most-beautiful-smile-in-the-world/>

      :-)
      Yuv
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
        Maybe there should be an option for hugin
        to not use exif data and to only use the
        values specified by the user.

        >>The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
        >>not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier

      • Garrett Unglaub
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008

          > Maybe there should be an option for hugin
          > to not use exif data and to only use the
          > values specified by the user.
          >

          > >>The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
          > >>not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier

          ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
          yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.

          it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

          it says i can open a lens file but i dont know how to create one.

          the images are converted from raw so there is no exif
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
            Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11 schrieb Garrett Unglaub:

            > the images are converted from raw so there is no exif

            Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data in the result files?
            Even dcraw (8.88) does!

            However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw file to result file.

            best regards
            Offenburger Str. 33
            79108 Freiburg
          • Bruno Postle
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
              On Mon 03-Nov-2008 at 19:11 -0000, Garrett Unglaub wrote:

              >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
              >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.

              I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
              EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.

              >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

              I'd really like to see a .pto project that behaves like this.

              >it says i can open a lens file but i dont know how to create one.

              You can 'Save lens...' on the 'Camera and Lens' tab.

              --
              Bruno
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:

                > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
                >
                > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
                >
                > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

                I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
                the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
                shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...

                best regards
                Offenburger Str. 33
                79108 Freiburg
              • Garrett Unglaub
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                  So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
                  then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
                  let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
                  pictures tomorrow

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik

                • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                    If you have your own EXIF information, you can likewise use exiftool to add
                    them to any image you like.

                    Though I am not sure why you wouldn't want the EXIF info from your original
                    raw to be copied to your converted image.(or why your raw converter is not
                    doing that anyway. Most do.)
                    Unless you are cropping your image, then you may want to change some of the
                    EXIF information.

                    Cheers,
                    Darren.

                    )So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
                    )then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
                    )let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
                    )pictures tomorrow
                    )
                    )
                    )--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik
                    )Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                    )>
                    )> Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11
                    )schrieb Garrett Unglaub:
                    )>
                    )> > the images are converted from raw so there is
                    )no exif
                    )>
                    )> Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data
                    )in the result files?
                    )> Even dcraw (8.88) does!
                    )>
                    )> However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw
                    )file to result file.
                    )>
                    )> best regards
                    )> --
                    )> Erik Krause
                    )> Offenburger Str. 33
                    )> 79108 Freiburg
                    )>
                    )
                  • Garrett Unglaub
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                      shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

                      I changed my lens data to 24mm 1.6x multiplier rectilinear and i end
                      up with this http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t1.jpg or
                      http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t2.jpg

                      I am trying to get it to look like this
                      http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/backyard.html

                      i get that problem in ptgui if i have a focal length that is higher
                      than it should be

                      > Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:
                      >
                      > > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                      > > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
                      > >
                      > > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                      > > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
                      > >
                      > > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.
                      >
                      > I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
                      > the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
                      > shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...
                      >
                      > best regards
                      > --
                      > Erik Krause
                      > Offenburger Str. 33
                      > 79108 Freiburg

                    • John Houghton
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                        wrote:

                        > Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                        > shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

                        Maybe you are relying too much on automatic features. These don't
                        always work perfectly - neither in Hugin nor in PTGui. Have you
                        checked the control point assignments, particularly those between
                        images in the neighborhood of the obvious discontinuities of the
                        output image? With some intelligent manual intervention, you can
                        easily get more-or-less identical results from both PTGui and Hugin.

                        As it's a 360 degree panorama, the hfov of the lens will be evaluated
                        accurately by the optimizer, provided you have a good spread of
                        control points. The optimizer gives a lot of control over what does
                        and doesn't get changed in the optimization if you choose to use it.
                        It can often help if you initialize the yaw values of the images to
                        their approximate known values. (In PTGui, use the Fill Yaw button on
                        the Image Parameters tab to automatically calculate the values).

                        While your PTGui result is quite good, it could do with levelling to
                        get the vertical features properly upright. (Don't overlook the
                        cloud reflections in the lake, which should also be vertically
                        aligned). If you aren't familiar with using t1 (vertical line)
                        control points, I suggest you take a look at this tutorial:

                        http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm

                        John
                      • Garrett Unglaub
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008