Re: Some more tests on Optimal Cubefaces.

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Am Friday, October 31, 2008 um 23:36 schrieb Hans Nyberg:
      > >
      > > > I have discovered that Pano2VR seems to have problems with downsizing.
      > > > The 1904 is softer than the CubicConverter version.
      > >
      > > This may be due to the fact that Pano2VR uses a non-sharpening anti-
      > > aliasing interpolator. On
      > > http://wiki.panotools.org/Anti-aliasing_interpolators the Filters
      > > with ID 18 and higher are sharpening ones (the deeper the
      > > "depression" on both sides of the peak the more).
      > >
      > > I don't know what kind of interpolator CubicConverter uses, but the
      > > result of a not anti-aliased downsize always gives a sharper
      > > impression because pixel "jaggies" subjectively look sharper (but
      > > increase shimmering in the resulting pano - if the viewer doesn't
      > > anti-alias itself).
      >
      > CubicConverter uses Bicubic which seems to be called Cubic in wiki.

      An image says more than.....

      Here is a screenshot with movies made from the 8600x4300 test image.
      Resized to 1904 cubefaces directly.
      From left Pano2VR with different interpolators. Then CubicConverter 1904 and also 1
      default 2736. Plus the original image in Photoshop at 100%.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/cubefaces/cubefaces-interpolation.jpg

      Hans
    • Philipp B. Koch
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
        Erik Krause schrieb:
        > To simplify the calculation you can simply divide by 4.5 (app.
        > pi/0.7)
        >
        > In any case: It might be best to not first reduce the equirect and
        > then create cubefaces but use a good anti-aliasing interpolator and
        > create the smaller cubefaces directly from the larger equirect. This
        > saves one interpolation step.

        Thanks a lot, that really simple :-)

        > BTW.: While photoshop creats nice small JPEGs at good quality it
        > might be no good idea to use it for cubefaces stripes. In any stripe
        > there are at least two joints where the single cubefaces don't fit.
        > At these joints the jpeg compression creates artifacts that are later
        > visible in the resulting panorama. See
        > http://www.photopla.net/wwp0703/stripes.php for details.
        >
        > If I remember correctly Pano2VR and Pano2QTVR create stripes using a
        > different compression scheme near the edges, which avoids these
        > artifacts.

        I'm using Eric Gerds' DOSUP (Pano2Faces.bat) for conversion. As far as I
        know it's using spline64 as interpolator. So do you think I could expect
        good results when applying the "simplified rule of 70" (e.g. divide
        equirectangular image width by 4.5) here? (Good enough to use it as
        standard workflow)?

        Best regards,
        Philipp Koch
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
          Am Saturday, November 01, 2008 um 13:17 schrieb Hans Nyberg:

          > CubicConverter uses Bicubic which seems to be called Cubic in wiki.
          > Why not use the Bicubic definition if it is the same. I never heard
          > anyone call it just cubic. Photoshop today has 3 Bicubic versions.

          I don't know whether it is really the same. However, apparently the
          algorithm was called cubic in the originating paper:
          http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/wrapper.jsp?arnumber=1163711

          > From what I understand Pano2VR uses Mitchell as default but Mitchell softens the
          > cubefaces slightly compared to CubiConverter. They need 0,4 100% unsharp mask to get
          > back to the same quality if you do an conversion with editing cubefaces and convert back
          > to equirectangular. This does not make sense after reading your comment as Mitchell
          > should have the same effect as Cubic.
          >
          > Lazcos 3 gives normally same quality as CubicConverter but I found that I had to get up
          > to Blackman/sinc Filter to get the same when doing downsizing.

          Interesting. I think Thomas should clarify...

          best regards
          Offenburger Str. 33
          79108 Freiburg
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
            I think this proves an important point. You can't simply throw away pixels
            hoping they are bayer artifacts.

            The top left is so terrible compared to the others. So using a high quality
            interpolator is clear. As well as deciding on the final resolution

            At least to my eyes there clearly a loss of resolution/clarity at 1904 from
            2736.

            I think also a contributing factor here, is jpeg compression. At 1904
            compression artifacts are obscuring destroying details, and at full
            resolution they are less noticeable.

            Sacha Griffin

            Southern Digital Solutions LLC

            http://www.southern-digital.com

            http://www.seeit360.net

            404-551-4275

            An image says more than.....

            Here is a screenshot with movies made from the 8600x4300 test image.
            Resized to 1904 cubefaces directly.
            From left Pano2VR with different interpolators. Then CubicConverter 1904 and
            also 1
            default 2736. Plus the original image in Photoshop at 100%.
            http://www.panoramas.dk/cubefaces/cubefaces-interpolation.jpg

            Hans

            .

            d=24218/stime=1225548125/nc1=3848642/nc2=4763759/nc3=5349282>

          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
              Sometime around 1/11/08 (at 10:59 -0400) Sacha Griffin said:

              >I think also a contributing factor here, is jpeg compression. At 1904
              >compression artifacts are obscuring destroying details, and at full
              >resolution they are less noticeable.

              Exactly, and well pointed out!

              This is an interesting trade-off that's worth remembering. With very
              high resolution images, JPEG damage isn't as noticable simply because
              the pixel-level alterations are relatively smaller than with
              lower-res images. This is definitely the case in print work, where
              high-res can mean *very* high. But it has some bearing on what we do
              for panoramas too; in my experience you can frequently use a somewhat
              higher compression setting for a higher-res cubeface than for a
              lower-res cubeface without ending up with obvious compression damage.

              (I don't mean you can make a higher-res cubeface *smaller*, but you
              can often get noticably better quality output without dramatically
              larger file sizes.)

              I think the key phrase here is "your mileage may vary", but I am
              reading all posts with great interest in the hope of gleaning further
              understanding in this area.

              I've also set Pano2VR's default interpolation filder from my previous
              choice of Lanczos3 to Blackman/sinc and will run some tests when I
              have time.

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
                Am Saturday, November 01, 2008 um 15:03 schrieb Philipp B. Koch:

                > I'm using Eric Gerds' DOSUP (Pano2Faces.bat) for conversion. As far as I
                > know it's using spline64 as interpolator. So do you think I could expect
                > good results when applying the "simplified rule of 70" (e.g. divide
                > equirectangular image width by 4.5) here? (Good enough to use it as
                > standard workflow)?

                spline64 isn't an anti-aliasing interpolator hence it's not optimal
                for downsizing. You can specify different interpolators on the DOSUP
                command line, but it seems to be limited to the "old" panotools
                interpolators.

                If you have a more recent panotools version (pano12 version 2.7.10 or
                newer) you can use the anti-alaising interpolators: open
                pano2faces.bat in notepad (or similar text editor) and locate the
                lines (numbers 369 and 370 in the current version)

                SET interpolate=i4
                SET interp=spline64

                Change them to

                SET interpolate=i19
                SET interp=Mitchell

                for a neutral or

                SET interpolate=i21
                SET interp=Lanczos3

                for a sharpening anti-aliasing interpolator. The i-numbers correspond
                to the ID in http://wiki.panotools.org/Anti-aliasing_interpolators

                best regards

                Offenburger Str. 33
                79108 Freiburg
              • Philipp B. Koch
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
                  Thanks a lot, Erik! I've tried both Lanczos3 and Mitchell with DOSUP
                  like you proposed. The visual difference is surely worth the (much)
                  longer processing time it takes compared to spline64...

                  Best regards,
                  Philipp Koch

                  Erik Krause schrieb:
                  > Am Saturday, November 01, 2008 um 15:03 schrieb Philipp B. Koch:
                  >

                  >> I'm using Eric Gerds' DOSUP (Pano2Faces.bat) for conversion. As far as I
                  >> know it's using spline64 as interpolator. So do you think I could expect
                  >> good results when applying the "simplified rule of 70" (e.g. divide
                  >> equirectangular image width by 4.5) here? (Good enough to use it as
                  >> standard workflow)?
                  >>

                  > spline64 isn't an anti-aliasing interpolator hence it's not optimal
                  > for downsizing. You can specify different interpolators on the DOSUP
                  > command line, but it seems to be limited to the "old" panotools
                  > interpolators.
                  >
                  > If you have a more recent panotools version (pano12 version 2.7.10 or
                  > newer) you can use the anti-alaising interpolators: open
                  > pano2faces.bat in notepad (or similar text editor) and locate the
                  > lines (numbers 369 and 370 in the current version)
                  >
                  > SET interpolate=i4
                  > SET interp=spline64
                  >
                  > Change them to
                  >
                  > SET interpolate=i19
                  > SET interp=Mitchell
                  >
                  > for a neutral or
                  >
                  > SET interpolate=i21
                  > SET interp=Lanczos3
                  >
                  > for a sharpening anti-aliasing interpolator. The i-numbers correspond
                  > to the ID in http://wiki.panotools.org/Anti-aliasing_interpolators
                  >
                  > best regards
                  >
                  > --
                  > Erik Krause
                  > Offenburger Str. 33
                  > 79108 Freiburg
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------

                • Thomas Rauscher
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
                    Erik Krause wrote, On 01.11.2008 15:20:
                    > Am Saturday, November 01, 2008 um 13:17 schrieb Hans Nyberg:
                    >
                    >> CubicConverter uses Bicubic which seems to be called Cubic in wiki.
                    >> Why not use the Bicubic definition if it is the same. I never heard
                    >> anyone call it just cubic. Photoshop today has 3 Bicubic versions.
                    >
                    > I don't know whether it is really the same. However, apparently the
                    > algorithm was called cubic in the originating paper:
                    > http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/wrapper.jsp?arnumber=1163711

                    The "bi" in bicubic comes from the fact that the filter is used 2 times,
                    one time in X and one time in Y direction. If you use such a filter on a
                    CT scan they are often called "Tricubic". As Panotools and Pano2VR
                    provide more then one filter the "bi" is kind of redundant as it should
                    be clear that they are used in both directions. Otherwise the filters
                    should have been called "Bigaussian", "Bilanczos", "Bimitchell"...

                    >> From what I understand Pano2VR uses Mitchell as default but Mitchell softens the
                    >> cubefaces slightly compared to CubiConverter. They need 0,4 100% unsharp mask to get
                    >> back to the same quality if you do an conversion with editing cubefaces and convert back
                    >> to equirectangular. This does not make sense after reading your comment as Mitchell
                    >> should have the same effect as Cubic.
                    >>
                    >> Lazcos 3 gives normally same quality as CubicConverter but I found that I had to get up
                    >> to Blackman/sinc Filter to get the same when doing downsizing.
                    >
                    > Interesting. I think Thomas should clarify...

                    I also use a kernel size of width/4 for the conversion. This is between
                    the two extremes of width/Pi and width/(Pi*sqtr(2)) (see my previous
                    post about the cube face sizes) and is a compromise between "too soft"
                    and aliasing. If you don't mind aliasing you can turn of the "dynamic
                    kernel" in the preferences and you should get a sharper image.

                    --
                    MfG,
                    Thomas
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
                      Erik Krause wrote, On 01.11.2008 14:52 Uhr:

                      > BTW.: While photoshop creats nice small JPEGs at good quality it
                      > might be no good idea to use it for cubefaces stripes. In any stripe
                      > there are at least two joints where the single cubefaces don't fit.
                      > At these joints the jpeg compression creates artifacts that are later
                      > visible in the resulting panorama. See
                      > http://www.photopla.net/wwp0703/stripes.php for details.
                      >
                      > If I remember correctly Pano2VR and Pano2QTVR create stripes using a
                      > different compression scheme near the edges, which avoids these
                      > artifacts.

                      The reason for these artifacts is chroma subsampling
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling .
                      In Pano2VR and Pano2QTVR the subsampling is turned off for stripes.
                      Please note that the tile size must be a multiple of 16 to make this work.

                      In Photoshop different levels of subsampling are used depending of the
                      quality setting. To be on the safe side with CS2 you need to use at
                      least Quality 7 in "Save as..." and Quality 51 in "Save for Web". For
                      more information you may also have a look at:
                      http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/chroma-subsampling.html

                      --
                      MfG,
                      Thomas
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
                        Am Saturday, November 01, 2008 um 17:55 schrieb Philipp B. Koch:

                        > Thanks a lot, Erik! I've tried both Lanczos3 and Mitchell with DOSUP
                        > like you proposed. The visual difference is surely worth the (much)
                        > longer processing time it takes compared to spline64...

                        How much do you downsample? I did some tests some time ago and found
                        no big difference for a 4000x2000 to cubefaces 1200 remapping tasks.
                        -> http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/41713#msg41713
                        I stopped testing, since the old fixed kernel size interpolators and
                        the anti-alaising ones are not comparable. The kernel size (and hence
                        the execution time) highly depends on whether downsampling or
                        upsampling, and they increase for downsampling:
                        http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/41703#msg41703

                        best regards
                        Offenburger Str. 33
                        79108 Freiburg
                      • Philipp B. Koch
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 2, 2008
                          Erik Krause schrieb:
                          > Am Saturday, November 01, 2008 um 17:55 schrieb Philipp B. Koch:
                          >
                          >> Thanks a lot, Erik! I've tried both Lanczos3 and Mitchell with DOSUP
                          >> like you proposed. The visual difference is surely worth the (much)
                          >> longer processing time it takes compared to spline64...
                          >>
                          > How much do you downsample? I did some tests some time ago and found
                          > no big difference for a 4000x2000 to cubefaces 1200 remapping tasks.
                          > -> http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/41713#msg41713
                          > I stopped testing, since the old fixed kernel size interpolators and
                          > the anti-alaising ones are not comparable. The kernel size (and hence
                          > the execution time) highly depends on whether downsampling or
                          > upsampling, and they increase for downsampling:
                          > http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/41703#msg41703
                          I've made some tests with an equirectangular 4742 x 2371, downsampling
                          it to 1052 cubes (=~ / 4.5) with spline64, Mitchell and Lanczos3.
                          I did not count the time for each task, but both Mitchell and Lanczos3
                          took well three times as long as spline64, I'd estimate.

                          Regards, Philipp