Re: [PanoToolsNG] Object VR

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
      Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:

      >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
      >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
      >what to quote.

      You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
      that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
      steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
      or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
      terribly difficult task.

      You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
      flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
      how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
      the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
      that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

      Then, once you have the shots, use Object2VR from
      http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr.php to put everything
      together as a QTVR Object movie or a Flash-based equivalent.

      I presume you won't be getting back to the client before Monday?
      Maybe you should try this out over the weekend to see how well you
      get on. Get a 'Lazy Susan' turntable, mark the edge in 10 degree
      steps (for 36 shots around), and try shooting and processing
      something similar to the bottle and packaging.

      If all goes reasonably well it should take no more than one day to
      set up, shoot, process the shots and then generate an object movie.
      But if you need to do much work to the images it could take longer.

    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
        Quoting Keith Martin <keith@...>:

        > Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:
        >
        > >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
        > >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
        > >what to quote.
        >
        > You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
        > that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
        > steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
        > or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
        > terribly difficult task.

        http://www.panagito.com/MISC/cat.html

        for glass bottom lighting is nice. so I made a hole in a piece of transluscent
        plastic and a disc that fitted the hole.
        Robert is your mother's brother

        mick

      • paul womack
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
          Keith Martin wrote:
          > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
          > flare from the packaging in certain angles.

          HDR might be an easy approach, or at least
          easier than the alternatives

          BugBear
        • Andrew Crawford
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
            Keith Martin wrote:
            > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
            > flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
            > how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
            > the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
            > that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

            A light tent and/or diffusers may help some with this.

            Andrew Crawford
          • Jim Watters
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
              Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
              that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
              manipulate instead of the touch screen?
              http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

              The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
              displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

              --
              Jim Watters
              http://photocreations.ca
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011

                It appears to be a great example of Chindogu to me.

                Sacha Griffin

                http://www.seeit360.com

                http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                IM: sachagriffin007@...

                Office: 404-551-4275

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                  It gets you write ups in blogs all over the world.

                  Matt Smith
                  PhotoSpherix
                  317.396.5791
                  Indianapolis, Indiana USA

                  On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

                  Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                  that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                  manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                  http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                  The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                  displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                  --
                  Jim Watters
                  http://photocreations.ca

                  <*> Your email settings: