Re: [PanoToolsNG] Object VR

  • gabriel s
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
      Hi
      It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know what to quote.
      Gabriel

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
        Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:

        >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
        >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
        >what to quote.

        You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
        that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
        steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
        or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
        terribly difficult task.

        You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
        flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
        how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
        the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
        that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

        Then, once you have the shots, use Object2VR from
        http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr.php to put everything
        together as a QTVR Object movie or a Flash-based equivalent.

        I presume you won't be getting back to the client before Monday?
        Maybe you should try this out over the weekend to see how well you
        get on. Get a 'Lazy Susan' turntable, mark the edge in 10 degree
        steps (for 36 shots around), and try shooting and processing
        something similar to the bottle and packaging.

        If all goes reasonably well it should take no more than one day to
        set up, shoot, process the shots and then generate an object movie.
        But if you need to do much work to the images it could take longer.

      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
          Quoting Keith Martin <keith@...>:

          > Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:
          >
          > >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
          > >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
          > >what to quote.
          >
          > You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
          > that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
          > steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
          > or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
          > terribly difficult task.

          http://www.panagito.com/MISC/cat.html

          for glass bottom lighting is nice. so I made a hole in a piece of transluscent
          plastic and a disc that fitted the hole.
          Robert is your mother's brother

          mick

        • paul womack
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
            Keith Martin wrote:
            > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
            > flare from the packaging in certain angles.

            HDR might be an easy approach, or at least
            easier than the alternatives

            BugBear
          • Andrew Crawford
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
              Keith Martin wrote:
              > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
              > flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
              > how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
              > the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
              > that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

              A light tent and/or diffusers may help some with this.

              Andrew Crawford
            • Jim Watters
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                --
                Jim Watters
                http://photocreations.ca
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011

                  It appears to be a great example of Chindogu to me.

                  Sacha Griffin

                  http://www.seeit360.com

                  http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                  http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                  EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                  IM: sachagriffin007@...

                  Office: 404-551-4275

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                    It gets you write ups in blogs all over the world.

                    Matt Smith
                    PhotoSpherix
                    317.396.5791
                    Indianapolis, Indiana USA

                    On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

                    Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                    that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                    manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                    http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                    The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                    displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                    --
                    Jim Watters
                    http://photocreations.ca

                    <*> Your email settings: