Re: [PanoToolsNG] Object VR

  • gabriel s
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
      Hi, thanks for the reply.
      It's a medication bottle and packaging for a pharmaceutical Co in Montreal, Canada. Has to be high quality. I have the rig, lights, Kaidan head and D300.
      Gabriel

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
        Hi
        It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know what to quote.
        Gabriel

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 31, 2008
          Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:

          >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
          >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
          >what to quote.

          You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
          that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
          steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
          or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
          terribly difficult task.

          You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
          flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
          how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
          the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
          that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

          Then, once you have the shots, use Object2VR from
          http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr.php to put everything
          together as a QTVR Object movie or a Flash-based equivalent.

          I presume you won't be getting back to the client before Monday?
          Maybe you should try this out over the weekend to see how well you
          get on. Get a 'Lazy Susan' turntable, mark the edge in 10 degree
          steps (for 36 shots around), and try shooting and processing
          something similar to the bottle and packaging.

          If all goes reasonably well it should take no more than one day to
          set up, shoot, process the shots and then generate an object movie.
          But if you need to do much work to the images it could take longer.

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2008
            Quoting Keith Martin <keith@...>:

            > Sometime around 31/10/08 (at 10:51 -0700) gabriel s said:
            >
            > >It's a single row, for a medication bottle and it's packaging. Has
            > >to be high quality.I've got the rig, panohead, lights. Don't know
            > >what to quote.
            >
            > You don't need a panohead for this, you need a rotating turntable
            > that can be turned to specific points, for example in 10 degree
            > steps. With the right equipment (i.e. a proper VR Object turntable)
            > or a carefully-built home-made equivalent, this shouldn't be a
            > terribly difficult task.

            http://www.panagito.com/MISC/cat.html

            for glass bottom lighting is nice. so I made a hole in a piece of transluscent
            plastic and a disc that fitted the hole.
            Robert is your mother's brother

            mick

          • paul womack
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
              Keith Martin wrote:
              > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
              > flare from the packaging in certain angles.

              HDR might be an easy approach, or at least
              easier than the alternatives

              BugBear
            • Andrew Crawford
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 3, 2008
                Keith Martin wrote:
                > You'll need to experiment with the lights, as you may find you get
                > flare from the packaging in certain angles. And you'll need to think
                > how you're going to handle the base and background as they appear in
                > the shots. Some Photoshop work is likely to be involved, but remember
                > that you'd have to repeat it accurately across most or all shots.

                A light tent and/or diffusers may help some with this.

                Andrew Crawford
              • Jim Watters
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                  Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                  that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                  manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                  http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                  The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                  displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                  --
                  Jim Watters
                  http://photocreations.ca
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011

                    It appears to be a great example of Chindogu to me.

                    Sacha Griffin

                    http://www.seeit360.com

                    http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                    http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

                    EMAIL: sachagriffin@...

                    IM: sachagriffin007@...

                    Office: 404-551-4275

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                      It gets you write ups in blogs all over the world.

                      Matt Smith
                      PhotoSpherix
                      317.396.5791
                      Indianapolis, Indiana USA

                      On Nov 7, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

                      Is there any advantage to display object VR images in a anamorphosis projection
                      that requires a mirror to view them besides giving the user a physical object to
                      manipulate instead of the touch screen?
                      http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/10/28/11-0221-r-en.php

                      The size of the image in the mirror ends up being 1/16 the size if it was
                      displayed normally on the touch screen itself.

                      --
                      Jim Watters
                      http://photocreations.ca

                      <*> Your email settings: