Re: Is there anything Ptgui can do that panotools cant?

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2008
      Jeffrey Martin wrote:
      > For example, the vignetting correction in ptgui was inspired by hugin, which
      > for one of the test images used an image (ahem ;-) I shot from Luca Vascon's
      > window, using his wonderful (but horribly vignetting) yashica 300 5.6 lens.
      > Joost was so impressed by this that he implemented a similar functionality
      > in PTGui.

      Oh, it is the very same functionality indeed. Based on a paper by Pablo
      d'Angelo -> http://biecoll.ub.uni-bielefeld.de/volltexte/2007/101/
      Fortunately Joost gives credits in the about box. ;-)

    • Garrett Unglaub
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 2, 2008
        The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does not
        seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier, so instead of 24 @ 1.6
        i get 0@1.6 and i end up with a dough nut shaped picture instead of a
        pano :-/

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>
        wrote:

        > On Thu 30-Oct-2008 at 18:18 +0100, Erik Krause wrote:
        > >
        > >But the open source community hasn't been idle either. New hugin has
        > >almost the same features: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
        >
        > This is a GREAT example of competition between 2 programs, one open
        source
        > and one commerical.
        >
        > http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tech/
        > For example, the vignetting correction in ptgui was inspired by
        hugin, which
        > for one of the test images used an image (ahem ;-) I shot from Luca
        Vascon's
        > window, using his wonderful (but horribly vignetting) yashica 300
        5.6 lens.
        > Joost was so impressed by this that he implemented a similar
        functionality
        > in PTGui.
        >
        > So without the free and open source Hugin, which may not be quite as
        > polished or easy to use as PTGui in some respects, there might not
        be some
        > of the incredibly useful features available in PTGui.
        >
        > Not to mention enblend and enfuse which have made all of our lives
        easier.

        > So, hooray for all open source software. And cheers to Pablo, Bruno, the
        > rest of the Hugin team, for all their crazy ideas :-) And cheers to
        Joost
        > for keeping up, and making it all extremely usable (and thus
        profitable).

        > :-)
        >

        > Jeffrey Martin
        > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      • Bruno Postle
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
          On Mon 03-Nov-2008 at 06:30 -0000, Garrett Unglaub wrote:
          >The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does not
          >seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier, so instead of 24 @ 1.6
          >i get 0@1.6 and i end up with a dough nut shaped picture instead of a
          >pano :-/

          Can you send me a .pto project that shows this problem?

          Internally hugin does the usual panotools thing of working entirely
          with the horizontal angle of view, it also keeps a record of the
          sensor size multiplier and calculates to and from focal length when
          required.

          --
          Bruno
        • yuval_levy
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...> wrote:
            > The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
            > not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier

            - do you get a dialog asking to enter them?
            - what camera make/model do you have?
            - do you feed processed images, or directly out of camera?
            - what is the locale set on your computer (regional language setting)?
            is the decimal point a comma or a dot?
            - what system is it? Win/Lin/Mac? and what flavor of it?

            there are known issues with image files where the exif metadata is not
            complete, either because one of the pre-processing tool has omitted to
            copy them (e.g. using "save for web" in Adobe Photoshop will strip all
            the unnecessary weight); or because the camera manufacturer uses some
            esoteric own exif tag. This second case is what happens with many
            Olympus cameras. I have found a potential solution and will implement
            it in the near future.

            If you can put up two of your input images for download somewhere, I
            can have a look and try to identify what causes the unexpected
            behavior you are experiencing.

            It may take a while though, my free time use has radically changed,
            and I've gone from short to long focal distance, and from stills to
            movies:
            <http://panospace.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/the-most-beautiful-smile-in-the-world/>

            :-)
            Yuv
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
              Maybe there should be an option for hugin
              to not use exif data and to only use the
              values specified by the user.

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008

                > Maybe there should be an option for hugin
                > to not use exif data and to only use the
                > values specified by the user.
                >

                > >>The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
                > >>not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier

                ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.

                it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

                it says i can open a lens file but i dont know how to create one.

                the images are converted from raw so there is no exif
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11 schrieb Garrett Unglaub:

                  > the images are converted from raw so there is no exif

                  Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data in the result files?
                  Even dcraw (8.88) does!

                  However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw file to result file.

                  best regards
                  Offenburger Str. 33
                  79108 Freiburg
                • Bruno Postle
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                    On Mon 03-Nov-2008 at 19:11 -0000, Garrett Unglaub wrote:

                    >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                    >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.

                    I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                    EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.

                    >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

                    I'd really like to see a .pto project that behaves like this.

                    >it says i can open a lens file but i dont know how to create one.

                    You can 'Save lens...' on the 'Camera and Lens' tab.

                    --
                    Bruno
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:

                      > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                      > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
                      >
                      > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                      > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
                      >
                      > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

                      I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
                      the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
                      shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...

                      best regards
                      Offenburger Str. 33
                      79108 Freiburg
                    • Garrett Unglaub
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                        So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
                        then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
                        let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
                        pictures tomorrow

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik

                      • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                          If you have your own EXIF information, you can likewise use exiftool to add
                          them to any image you like.

                          Though I am not sure why you wouldn't want the EXIF info from your original
                          raw to be copied to your converted image.(or why your raw converter is not
                          doing that anyway. Most do.)
                          Unless you are cropping your image, then you may want to change some of the
                          EXIF information.

                          Cheers,
                          Darren.

                          )So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
                          )then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
                          )let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
                          )pictures tomorrow
                          )
                          )
                          )--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik
                          )Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                          )>
                          )> Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11
                          )schrieb Garrett Unglaub:
                          )>
                          )> > the images are converted from raw so there is
                          )no exif
                          )>
                          )> Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data
                          )in the result files?
                          )> Even dcraw (8.88) does!
                          )>
                          )> However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw
                          )file to result file.
                          )>
                          )> best regards
                          )> --
                          )> Erik Krause
                          )> Offenburger Str. 33
                          )> 79108 Freiburg
                          )>
                          )
                        • Garrett Unglaub
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                            Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                            shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

                            I changed my lens data to 24mm 1.6x multiplier rectilinear and i end
                            up with this http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t1.jpg or
                            http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t2.jpg

                            I am trying to get it to look like this
                            http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/backyard.html

                            i get that problem in ptgui if i have a focal length that is higher
                            than it should be

                            > Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:
                            >
                            > > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                            > > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
                            > >
                            > > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                            > > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
                            > >
                            > > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.
                            >
                            > I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
                            > the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
                            > shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...
                            >
                            > best regards
                            > --
                            > Erik Krause
                            > Offenburger Str. 33
                            > 79108 Freiburg

                          • John Houghton
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                              wrote:

                              > Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                              > shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

                              Maybe you are relying too much on automatic features. These don't
                              always work perfectly - neither in Hugin nor in PTGui. Have you
                              checked the control point assignments, particularly those between
                              images in the neighborhood of the obvious discontinuities of the
                              output image? With some intelligent manual intervention, you can
                              easily get more-or-less identical results from both PTGui and Hugin.

                              As it's a 360 degree panorama, the hfov of the lens will be evaluated
                              accurately by the optimizer, provided you have a good spread of
                              control points. The optimizer gives a lot of control over what does
                              and doesn't get changed in the optimization if you choose to use it.
                              It can often help if you initialize the yaw values of the images to
                              their approximate known values. (In PTGui, use the Fill Yaw button on
                              the Image Parameters tab to automatically calculate the values).

                              While your PTGui result is quite good, it could do with levelling to
                              get the vertical features properly upright. (Don't overlook the
                              cloud reflections in the lake, which should also be vertically
                              aligned). If you aren't familiar with using t1 (vertical line)
                              control points, I suggest you take a look at this tutorial:

                              http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm

                              John
                            • Garrett Unglaub
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008