Re: Mast Panoramas

  • erik leeman
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
      <sphereworkspete@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone give me
      > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up? We've
      > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
      > shooting the ground?
      >

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Pete
      > www.sphereworks.co.uk

      It depends on what type of mast you'll be using and how you are going
      to keep it upright.
      If it's attached to a vehicle, like most larger types of masts are,
      you'll have to move the car a bit and take an offset shot just like
      you would with a tripod. That will give parallax problems with
      non-flat surfaces.
      If it's a hand-held type, like the pneumatic Clark mast I use myself,
      you can make near perfect nadirs by tilting the camera down for just
      two extra opposing shots after you've made the 360 series. This means
      lowering the camera, adjusting the panohead, and extending the mast
      again to take those nadir shots. Just stay behind the mast by rotating
      with it, so you get two shots like this one:
      <http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/2813650292/>
      Paint an alpha mask over the mast in Photoshop and use them in PTGui
      (or your tool of choise) to fill the nadir hole. By taking two
      opposing shots you will have all the material you need, AND it will be
      parallax free!
      Oh, and I do not agree with Willy that 30cm sway doesn't matter, it
      does if you want a really good nadir. I try NOT to use the cloning
      tool, and I think it shows. .... ehhh, make that I *hope* it shows :)

      Good luck with your project!

      Erik Leeman

      http://www.erikleeman.com/
      http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/
    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
        Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

        > Yes.... a golden eagle !!
        I'm not going to say any more or i will give away a decent idea =0)

        mick