Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Mast Panoramas

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
      Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

      > It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
      > simple to clone it.

      I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-)

      mick

    • sphereworks
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
        Yes.... a golden eagle !!

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

        > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
        >
        > > It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
        > > simple to clone it.
        >
        > I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-
        )

        > mick

      • erik leeman
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
          <sphereworkspete@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone give me
          > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up? We've
          > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
          > shooting the ground?
          >

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Pete
          > www.sphereworks.co.uk

          It depends on what type of mast you'll be using and how you are going
          to keep it upright.
          If it's attached to a vehicle, like most larger types of masts are,
          you'll have to move the car a bit and take an offset shot just like
          you would with a tripod. That will give parallax problems with
          non-flat surfaces.
          If it's a hand-held type, like the pneumatic Clark mast I use myself,
          you can make near perfect nadirs by tilting the camera down for just
          two extra opposing shots after you've made the 360 series. This means
          lowering the camera, adjusting the panohead, and extending the mast
          again to take those nadir shots. Just stay behind the mast by rotating
          with it, so you get two shots like this one:
          <http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/2813650292/>
          Paint an alpha mask over the mast in Photoshop and use them in PTGui
          (or your tool of choise) to fill the nadir hole. By taking two
          opposing shots you will have all the material you need, AND it will be
          parallax free!
          Oh, and I do not agree with Willy that 30cm sway doesn't matter, it
          does if you want a really good nadir. I try NOT to use the cloning
          tool, and I think it shows. .... ehhh, make that I *hope* it shows :)

          Good luck with your project!

          Erik Leeman

          http://www.erikleeman.com/
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
            Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

            > Yes.... a golden eagle !!
            I'm not going to say any more or i will give away a decent idea =0)

            mick