Re: Mast Panoramas

  • sphereworks
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
      using a D200 and 10.5mm with a 360precision Absolute head, though
      wasn't planing on using the head.

      Thanks for your help, have a better idea now.

      Pete
      www.sphereworks.co.uk

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
      wrote:

      > I would not worry about the nadir if you are using a 8mm lens
      >
      > Only keep your panohead directly under your lens small enough or
      use
      > any kind of "spacer" that would reduce the footprint to almost
      nothing.

      > see here with an only 3m "mast " you will see even my fingers
      > holding the mast and that with only 4 horizontal shots Sigma
      8mm
      > 3.5 on Nikon D300.
      >
      > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BHV/MediterraneoEingang/
      >
      > Willy Kaemena
      >
      > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
      > http://bremen.360cities.net/
      > http://syria.360cities.net/
      > http://lisbon.360cities.net/
      >
      > On Oct 31, 2008, at 14:00, crane@... wrote:
      >
      > > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
      > >
      > > > sorry, should of mentioned we would like it to be a spherical
      > > > panorama.
      > > >

      > > > Cheers,
      > > >
      > > > Pete
      > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
      > > >
      > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"

      > > me
      We've

      > > let's get this straight.. You've taken this job on and now
      you're
      > > asking us
      > > how to do it ?
      > >
      > > ;-)
      > >
      > > mick

      > > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net

    • sphereworks
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
        It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
        simple to clone it.

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

        > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
        >
        > > :-) in a round about way yeh.... The commision is for a
        panoramic
        > > image, not a spherical.... but I want to produce a spherical.
        I've
        > > no problem taking the 360 pano and sky, it's just the floor shot
        I'm
        > > worried about. Got a couple ideas, but just wandered how other
        > > people do it.
        >
        > I've never bothered with the Nadir, just cloned over it ususlly. I
        would
        > probably move the pole sideways and warp that downshot in place. I
        can't see
        > that it is very different from all the normal explanations using a
        tripod.

        > cheers
        >
        > mick
        >

        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Pete
        > > www.sphereworks.co.uk

      • Willy Kaemena
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
          Don't worry about any " precision" even a sway ( out of nodal) of
          30cm wouldn't do any harm on that distance above ground.

          Willy

        • AYRTON
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
            Petethis one was made around 9 meters high, inside a Shopping Mall :

            <http://ayrton.com/360/fs/rdbaltonatalfla.html>

            I just add the logo on my nadir because it's a way to always get new Clients
            calling me !

            I charge 40% more if the Client wants it out, I mean, having a complete
            nadir there.

            They always choose to go with my logo, and pay 40% LESS saving money :-)

            Best
            AYRTON

            ------------
            | A Y R |
            | T O N |
            ------------

            + 55 21 9982 6313

            http://ayrton360.com
            http://rio.360cities.net
            http://vrfolio.com
            http://ayrton.com

          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
              Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

              > It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
              > simple to clone it.

              I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-)

              mick

            • sphereworks
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                Yes.... a golden eagle !!

                Pete
                www.sphereworks.co.uk

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

                > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
                >
                > > It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
                > > simple to clone it.
                >
                > I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-
                )

                > mick

              • erik leeman
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                  <sphereworkspete@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone give me
                  > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up? We've
                  > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
                  > shooting the ground?
                  >

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Pete
                  > www.sphereworks.co.uk

                  It depends on what type of mast you'll be using and how you are going
                  to keep it upright.
                  If it's attached to a vehicle, like most larger types of masts are,
                  you'll have to move the car a bit and take an offset shot just like
                  you would with a tripod. That will give parallax problems with
                  non-flat surfaces.
                  If it's a hand-held type, like the pneumatic Clark mast I use myself,
                  you can make near perfect nadirs by tilting the camera down for just
                  two extra opposing shots after you've made the 360 series. This means
                  lowering the camera, adjusting the panohead, and extending the mast
                  again to take those nadir shots. Just stay behind the mast by rotating
                  with it, so you get two shots like this one:
                  <http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/2813650292/>
                  Paint an alpha mask over the mast in Photoshop and use them in PTGui
                  (or your tool of choise) to fill the nadir hole. By taking two
                  opposing shots you will have all the material you need, AND it will be
                  parallax free!
                  Oh, and I do not agree with Willy that 30cm sway doesn't matter, it
                  does if you want a really good nadir. I try NOT to use the cloning
                  tool, and I think it shows. .... ehhh, make that I *hope* it shows :)

                  Good luck with your project!

                  Erik Leeman

                  http://www.erikleeman.com/
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                    Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

                    > Yes.... a golden eagle !!
                    I'm not going to say any more or i will give away a decent idea =0)

                    mick