Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Mast Panoramas

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
      Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

      > :-) in a round about way yeh.... The commision is for a panoramic
      > image, not a spherical.... but I want to produce a spherical. I've
      > no problem taking the 360 pano and sky, it's just the floor shot I'm
      > worried about. Got a couple ideas, but just wandered how other
      > people do it.

      I've never bothered with the Nadir, just cloned over it ususlly. I would
      probably move the pole sideways and warp that downshot in place. I can't see
      that it is very different from all the normal explanations using a tripod.

      cheers

      mick

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Pete
      > www.sphereworks.co.uk

    • sphereworks
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
        using a D200 and 10.5mm with a 360precision Absolute head, though
        wasn't planing on using the head.

        Thanks for your help, have a better idea now.

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
        wrote:

        > I would not worry about the nadir if you are using a 8mm lens
        >
        > Only keep your panohead directly under your lens small enough or
        use
        > any kind of "spacer" that would reduce the footprint to almost
        nothing.

        > see here with an only 3m "mast " you will see even my fingers
        > holding the mast and that with only 4 horizontal shots Sigma
        8mm
        > 3.5 on Nikon D300.
        >
        > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BHV/MediterraneoEingang/
        >
        > Willy Kaemena
        >
        > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
        > http://bremen.360cities.net/
        > http://syria.360cities.net/
        > http://lisbon.360cities.net/
        >
        > On Oct 31, 2008, at 14:00, crane@... wrote:
        >
        > > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
        > >
        > > > sorry, should of mentioned we would like it to be a spherical
        > > > panorama.
        > > >

        > > > Cheers,
        > > >
        > > > Pete
        > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
        > > >
        > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"

        > > me
        We've

        > > let's get this straight.. You've taken this job on and now
        you're
        > > asking us
        > > how to do it ?
        > >
        > > ;-)
        > >
        > > mick

        > > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net

      • sphereworks
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
          It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
          simple to clone it.

          Pete
          www.sphereworks.co.uk

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

          > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
          >
          > > :-) in a round about way yeh.... The commision is for a
          panoramic
          > > image, not a spherical.... but I want to produce a spherical.
          I've
          > > no problem taking the 360 pano and sky, it's just the floor shot
          I'm
          > > worried about. Got a couple ideas, but just wandered how other
          > > people do it.
          >
          > I've never bothered with the Nadir, just cloned over it ususlly. I
          would
          > probably move the pole sideways and warp that downshot in place. I
          can't see
          > that it is very different from all the normal explanations using a
          tripod.

          > cheers
          >
          > mick
          >

          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Pete
          > > www.sphereworks.co.uk

        • Willy Kaemena
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
            Don't worry about any " precision" even a sway ( out of nodal) of
            30cm wouldn't do any harm on that distance above ground.

            Willy

          • AYRTON
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
              Petethis one was made around 9 meters high, inside a Shopping Mall :

              <http://ayrton.com/360/fs/rdbaltonatalfla.html>

              I just add the logo on my nadir because it's a way to always get new Clients
              calling me !

              I charge 40% more if the Client wants it out, I mean, having a complete
              nadir there.

              They always choose to go with my logo, and pay 40% LESS saving money :-)

              Best
              AYRTON

              ------------
              | A Y R |
              | T O N |
              ------------

              + 55 21 9982 6313

              http://ayrton360.com
              http://rio.360cities.net
              http://vrfolio.com
              http://ayrton.com

            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

                > It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
                > simple to clone it.

                I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-)

                mick

              • sphereworks
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                  Yes.... a golden eagle !!

                  Pete
                  www.sphereworks.co.uk

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:

                  > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
                  >
                  > > It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
                  > > simple to clone it.
                  >
                  > I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-
                  )

                  > mick

                • erik leeman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                    <sphereworkspete@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone give me
                    > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up? We've
                    > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
                    > shooting the ground?
                    >

                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Pete
                    > www.sphereworks.co.uk

                    It depends on what type of mast you'll be using and how you are going
                    to keep it upright.
                    If it's attached to a vehicle, like most larger types of masts are,
                    you'll have to move the car a bit and take an offset shot just like
                    you would with a tripod. That will give parallax problems with
                    non-flat surfaces.
                    If it's a hand-held type, like the pneumatic Clark mast I use myself,
                    you can make near perfect nadirs by tilting the camera down for just
                    two extra opposing shots after you've made the 360 series. This means
                    lowering the camera, adjusting the panohead, and extending the mast
                    again to take those nadir shots. Just stay behind the mast by rotating
                    with it, so you get two shots like this one:
                    <http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/2813650292/>
                    Paint an alpha mask over the mast in Photoshop and use them in PTGui
                    (or your tool of choise) to fill the nadir hole. By taking two
                    opposing shots you will have all the material you need, AND it will be
                    parallax free!
                    Oh, and I do not agree with Willy that 30cm sway doesn't matter, it
                    does if you want a really good nadir. I try NOT to use the cloning
                    tool, and I think it shows. .... ehhh, make that I *hope* it shows :)

                    Good luck with your project!

                    Erik Leeman

                    http://www.erikleeman.com/
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                      Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

                      > Yes.... a golden eagle !!
                      I'm not going to say any more or i will give away a decent idea =0)

                      mick