Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Mast Panoramas

Expand Messages
  • Willy Kaemena
    I would not worry about the nadir if you are using a 8mm lens Only keep your panohead directly under your lens small enough or use any kind of spacer that
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      I would not worry about the nadir if you are using a 8mm lens

      Only keep your panohead directly under your lens small enough or use
      any kind of "spacer" that would reduce the footprint to almost nothing.

      see here with an only 3m "mast " you will see even my fingers
      holding the mast and that with only 4 horizontal shots Sigma 8mm
      3.5 on Nikon D300.

      http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BHV/MediterraneoEingang/

      Willy Kaemena

      http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
      http://bremen.360cities.net/
      http://syria.360cities.net/
      http://lisbon.360cities.net/

      On Oct 31, 2008, at 14:00, crane@... wrote:

      > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
      >
      > > sorry, should of mentioned we would like it to be a spherical
      > > panorama.
      > >
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Pete
      > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
      > >
      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
      > > <sphereworkspete@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone give
      > me
      > > > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up? We've
      > > > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
      > > > shooting the ground?
      >
      > let's get this straight.. You've taken this job on and now you're
      > asking us
      > how to do it ?
      >
      > ;-)
      >
      > mick
      >
      > > > Cheers,
      > > >
      > > > Pete
      > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
      >
      > ----------------------------------------------
      > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
      >
      >











      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • sphereworks
      ... image, not a spherical.... but I want to produce a spherical. I ve no problem taking the 360 pano and sky, it s just the floor shot I m worried about.
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        :-) in a round about way yeh.... The commision is for a panoramic
        image, not a spherical.... but I want to produce a spherical. I've
        no problem taking the 360 pano and sky, it's just the floor shot I'm
        worried about. Got a couple ideas, but just wandered how other
        people do it.

        Cheers,

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk


        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:
        >
        > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
        >
        > > sorry, should of mentioned we would like it to be a spherical
        > > panorama.
        > >
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Pete
        > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
        > >
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
        > > <sphereworkspete@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone
        give me
        > > > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up?
        We've
        > > > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
        > > > shooting the ground?
        >
        > let's get this straight.. You've taken this job on and now you're
        asking us
        > how to do it ?
        >
        > ;-)
        >
        > mick
        >
        > > > Cheers,
        > > >
        > > > Pete
        > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
        >
        >
        > ----------------------------------------------
        > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
        >
      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        ... I ve never bothered with the Nadir, just cloned over it ususlly. I would probably move the pole sideways and warp that downshot in place. I can t see that
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

          > :-) in a round about way yeh.... The commision is for a panoramic
          > image, not a spherical.... but I want to produce a spherical. I've
          > no problem taking the 360 pano and sky, it's just the floor shot I'm
          > worried about. Got a couple ideas, but just wandered how other
          > people do it.

          I've never bothered with the Nadir, just cloned over it ususlly. I would
          probably move the pole sideways and warp that downshot in place. I can't see
          that it is very different from all the normal explanations using a tripod.

          cheers

          mick



          > Cheers,
          >
          > Pete
          > www.sphereworks.co.uk


          ----------------------------------------------
          This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
        • sphereworks
          using a D200 and 10.5mm with a 360precision Absolute head, though wasn t planing on using the head. Thanks for your help, have a better idea now. Pete
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            using a D200 and 10.5mm with a 360precision Absolute head, though
            wasn't planing on using the head.

            Thanks for your help, have a better idea now.


            Pete
            www.sphereworks.co.uk

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > I would not worry about the nadir if you are using a 8mm lens
            >
            > Only keep your panohead directly under your lens small enough or
            use
            > any kind of "spacer" that would reduce the footprint to almost
            nothing.
            >
            > see here with an only 3m "mast " you will see even my fingers
            > holding the mast and that with only 4 horizontal shots Sigma
            8mm
            > 3.5 on Nikon D300.
            >
            > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BHV/MediterraneoEingang/
            >
            > Willy Kaemena
            >
            > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
            > http://bremen.360cities.net/
            > http://syria.360cities.net/
            > http://lisbon.360cities.net/
            >
            > On Oct 31, 2008, at 14:00, crane@... wrote:
            >
            > > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
            > >
            > > > sorry, should of mentioned we would like it to be a spherical
            > > > panorama.
            > > >
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > >
            > > > Pete
            > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
            > > >
            > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
            > > > <sphereworkspete@> wrote:
            > > > >
            > > > > Hi,
            > > > >
            > > > > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone
            give
            > > me
            > > > > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up?
            We've
            > > > > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
            > > > > shooting the ground?
            > >
            > > let's get this straight.. You've taken this job on and now
            you're
            > > asking us
            > > how to do it ?
            > >
            > > ;-)
            > >
            > > mick
            > >
            > > > > Cheers,
            > > > >
            > > > > Pete
            > > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
            > >
            > > ----------------------------------------------
            > > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
            > >
            > >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >
          • sphereworks
            It s quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly simple to clone it. Pete www.sphereworks.co.uk ... panoramic ... I ve ... I m ... would ...
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
              simple to clone it.


              Pete
              www.sphereworks.co.uk

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:
              >
              > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
              >
              > > :-) in a round about way yeh.... The commision is for a
              panoramic
              > > image, not a spherical.... but I want to produce a spherical.
              I've
              > > no problem taking the 360 pano and sky, it's just the floor shot
              I'm
              > > worried about. Got a couple ideas, but just wandered how other
              > > people do it.
              >
              > I've never bothered with the Nadir, just cloned over it ususlly. I
              would
              > probably move the pole sideways and warp that downshot in place. I
              can't see
              > that it is very different from all the normal explanations using a
              tripod.
              >
              > cheers
              >
              > mick
              >
              >
              >
              > > Cheers,
              > >
              > > Pete
              > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
              >
              >
              > ----------------------------------------------
              > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
              >
            • Willy Kaemena
              Don t worry about any precision even a sway ( out of nodal) of 30cm wouldn t do any harm on that distance above ground. Willy ... Willy Kaemena
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Don't worry about any " precision" even a sway ( out of nodal) of
                30cm wouldn't do any harm on that distance above ground.

                Willy



                On Oct 31, 2008, at 15:05, sphereworks wrote:

                > using a D200 and 10.5mm with a 360precision Absolute head, though
                > wasn't planing on using the head.
                >
                > Thanks for your help, have a better idea now.
                >
                > Pete
                > www.sphereworks.co.uk
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I would not worry about the nadir if you are using a 8mm lens
                > >
                > > Only keep your panohead directly under your lens small enough or
                > use
                > > any kind of "spacer" that would reduce the footprint to almost
                > nothing.
                > >
                > > see here with an only 3m "mast " you will see even my fingers
                > > holding the mast and that with only 4 horizontal shots Sigma
                > 8mm
                > > 3.5 on Nikon D300.
                > >
                > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BHV/MediterraneoEingang/
                > >
                > > Willy Kaemena
                > >
                > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
                > > http://bremen.360cities.net/
                > > http://syria.360cities.net/
                > > http://lisbon.360cities.net/
                > >
                > > On Oct 31, 2008, at 14:00, crane@... wrote:
                > >
                > > > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
                > > >
                > > > > sorry, should of mentioned we would like it to be a spherical
                > > > > panorama.
                > > > >
                > > > >
                > > > > Cheers,
                > > > >
                > > > > Pete
                > > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
                > > > >
                > > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
                > > > > <sphereworkspete@> wrote:
                > > > > >
                > > > > > Hi,
                > > > > >
                > > > > > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone
                > give
                > > > me
                > > > > > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up?
                > We've
                > > > > > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
                > > > > > shooting the ground?
                > > >
                > > > let's get this straight.. You've taken this job on and now
                > you're
                > > > asking us
                > > > how to do it ?
                > > >
                > > > ;-)
                > > >
                > > > mick
                > > >
                > > > > > Cheers,
                > > > > >
                > > > > > Pete
                > > > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
                > > >
                > > > ----------------------------------------------
                > > > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
                > > >
                > > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > >
                > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                > >
                >
                >
                >

                Willy Kaemena

                http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
                http://bremen.360cities.net/
                http://syria.360cities.net/
                http://lisbon.360cities.net/









                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • AYRTON
                Petethis one was made around 9 meters high, inside a Shopping Mall : I just add the logo on my nadir because
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  Petethis one was made around 9 meters high, inside a Shopping Mall :

                  <http://ayrton.com/360/fs/rdbaltonatalfla.html>

                  I just add the logo on my nadir because it's a way to always get new Clients
                  calling me !

                  I charge 40% more if the Client wants it out, I mean, having a complete
                  nadir there.

                  They always choose to go with my logo, and pay 40% LESS saving money :-)

                  Best
                  AYRTON



                  On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

                  > Don't worry about any " precision" even a sway ( out of nodal) of
                  > 30cm wouldn't do any harm on that distance above ground.
                  >
                  > Willy
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > On Oct 31, 2008, at 15:05, sphereworks wrote:
                  >
                  > > using a D200 and 10.5mm with a 360precision Absolute head, though
                  > > wasn't planing on using the head.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for your help, have a better idea now.
                  > >
                  > > Pete
                  > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
                  > >
                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I would not worry about the nadir if you are using a 8mm lens
                  > > >
                  > > > Only keep your panohead directly under your lens small enough or
                  > > use
                  > > > any kind of "spacer" that would reduce the footprint to almost
                  > > nothing.
                  > > >
                  > > > see here with an only 3m "mast " you will see even my fingers
                  > > > holding the mast and that with only 4 horizontal shots Sigma
                  > > 8mm
                  > > > 3.5 on Nikon D300.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FS/BHV/MediterraneoEingang/
                  > > >
                  > > > Willy Kaemena
                  > > >
                  > > > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
                  > > > http://bremen.360cities.net/
                  > > > http://syria.360cities.net/
                  > > > http://lisbon.360cities.net/
                  > > >
                  > > > On Oct 31, 2008, at 14:00, crane@... wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
                  > > > >
                  > > > > > sorry, should of mentioned we would like it to be a spherical
                  > > > > > panorama.
                  > > > > >
                  > > > > >
                  > > > > > Cheers,
                  > > > > >
                  > > > > > Pete
                  > > > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
                  > > > > >
                  > > > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
                  > > > > > <sphereworkspete@> wrote:
                  > > > > > >
                  > > > > > > Hi,
                  > > > > > >
                  > > > > > > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone
                  > > give
                  > > > > me
                  > > > > > > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up?
                  > > We've
                  > > > > > > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
                  > > > > > > shooting the ground?
                  > > > >
                  > > > > let's get this straight.. You've taken this job on and now
                  > > you're
                  > > > > asking us
                  > > > > how to do it ?
                  > > > >
                  > > > > ;-)
                  > > > >
                  > > > > mick
                  > > > >
                  > > > > > > Cheers,
                  > > > > > >
                  > > > > > > Pete
                  > > > > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk
                  > > > >
                  > > > > ----------------------------------------------
                  > > > > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
                  > > > >
                  > > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  > > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                  > Willy Kaemena
                  >
                  > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
                  > http://bremen.360cities.net/
                  > http://syria.360cities.net/
                  > http://lisbon.360cities.net/
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >


                  --
                  ------------
                  | A Y R |
                  | T O N |
                  ------------

                  + 55 21 9982 6313

                  http://ayrton360.com
                  http://rio.360cities.net
                  http://vrfolio.com
                  http://ayrton.com


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                  ... I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-) mick ... This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

                    > It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
                    > simple to clone it.

                    I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-)

                    mick

                    ----------------------------------------------
                    This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
                  • sphereworks
                    Yes.... a golden eagle !! Pete www.sphereworks.co.uk ... )
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Yes.... a golden eagle !!


                      Pete
                      www.sphereworks.co.uk


                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:
                      >
                      > Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:
                      >
                      > > It's quite likly that the nadir will be trees so might be fairly
                      > > simple to clone it.
                      >
                      > I would photograph a nest with eggs and drop that in in that case ;-
                      )
                      >
                      > mick
                      >
                      > ----------------------------------------------
                      > This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
                      >
                    • erik leeman
                      ... It depends on what type of mast you ll be using and how you are going to keep it upright. If it s attached to a vehicle, like most larger types of masts
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
                        <sphereworkspete@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > We've got a commision to take a 10m high pano, could anyone give me
                        > some advice or tips on how to take a pano on a mast 10m up? We've
                        > found a large photography mast to hire. What's the best way of
                        > shooting the ground?
                        >
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Pete
                        > www.sphereworks.co.uk
                        >

                        It depends on what type of mast you'll be using and how you are going
                        to keep it upright.
                        If it's attached to a vehicle, like most larger types of masts are,
                        you'll have to move the car a bit and take an offset shot just like
                        you would with a tripod. That will give parallax problems with
                        non-flat surfaces.
                        If it's a hand-held type, like the pneumatic Clark mast I use myself,
                        you can make near perfect nadirs by tilting the camera down for just
                        two extra opposing shots after you've made the 360 series. This means
                        lowering the camera, adjusting the panohead, and extending the mast
                        again to take those nadir shots. Just stay behind the mast by rotating
                        with it, so you get two shots like this one:
                        <http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/2813650292/>
                        Paint an alpha mask over the mast in Photoshop and use them in PTGui
                        (or your tool of choise) to fill the nadir hole. By taking two
                        opposing shots you will have all the material you need, AND it will be
                        parallax free!
                        Oh, and I do not agree with Willy that 30cm sway doesn't matter, it
                        does if you want a really good nadir. I try NOT to use the cloning
                        tool, and I think it shows. .... ehhh, make that I *hope* it shows :)

                        Good luck with your project!

                        Erik Leeman

                        http://www.erikleeman.com/
                        http://flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/
                      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                        ... I m not going to say any more or i will give away a decent idea =0) mick ... This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 31, 2008
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Quoting sphereworks <sphereworkspete@...>:

                          > Yes.... a golden eagle !!
                          I'm not going to say any more or i will give away a decent idea =0)

                          mick

                          ----------------------------------------------
                          This mail sent through http://www.ukonline.net
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.