Re: Cube converter issues & recommendatio

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 30, 2008
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "maston67" <masten7@...> wrote:

      > Hi Hans
      >
      > Pano2qtvr lone looks much patchier to me.

      If you do not look at them in a photoshop layer you can not compare them.
      Even moving an image 10 cm on a screen may affect the way it looks.

      > I want file sizes between 1mb and 1.5mb so 20% PSweb compression is
      > required.

      This is highly affected by your image.
      Sharpening, colors, and the subject.

      The same size compressed with same compression may differ 100%
      If your cubefaces have very different content the best is to use different compression.

      The up cubeface with a blue sky may need o to have 80% but your down image with green
      grass or a mosaic floor can be compressed with 40-50% wiyhout loosing to much quality.
      Remember that a large flat color compresses very easy and a sky at 1750x1750 is just
      160kb even using 75% in pano2QTVR. Compressiing it to 30-40% only reduces it with
      40kb only but the banding gets awful

      > Fast loading time is very important to my demographic audience who
      > require images to load or at least appear to load in a few seconds.
      > I have no choice therefore to reduce quality a bit.

      You also say you use 1750x1750 cubefaces,
      Reduce it to 1500x1500.
      It is enough even on a 24" screen with 1920x1200 resolution.
      And it reduces your size with 25%
      For very hard to compress panoramas you can go down even to 1250 cubefaces.

      Hans
    • Keith Martin
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 31, 2008
        Sometime around 30/10/08 (at 13:30 +0000) Hans Nyberg said:

        >You also say you use 1750x1750 cubefaces,
        >Reduce it to 1500x1500.

        I agree. Masten, the TIFF you posted is 6000x3000, so the ideal size
        is even slightly smaller than that.

        I just tried making a mov and a set of cubefaces from your TIFF
        image. I took the liberty of patching the zenith and nadir (sorry,
        force of habit! :-) although I didn't labour over this. I used
        Pano2VR to make both the QTVR and cubefaces at 1500px, with JPEG
        quality at 60% - more than I normally use, but this helps with the
        plain walls and delicate shading.

        The results came in at just over 930KB. You can see the mov at
        http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/bar.mov and download the
        cubefaces from http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/bar.zip

        If you're a Windows user then Pano2VR is probably one of the best
        modern solutions for creating your cubefaces. Don't generate faces
        larger than your input image can deliver, and treat the compression
        for each image as a separate case. You'll find that many will work
        fine with a particular compression level, but don't assume that all
        will.