Re: [PanoToolsNG] uplading hdview format, zip or rar, or something else?

  • Lars O. Grobe
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2008
      First, use tar, not zip. You do not want to compress, but archive the
      files into one large file.

      Second, if you do this only once - I ave never experiences problems with
      ftp, but mounting the target by some networked file system (cifs for
      windows, mac or linux, appleshare for mac, or nfs for mac or linux would
      be more comfortable. As noone wants to share webspace using such
      protocols, the way to go would be tunneling through ssh.

      Third - if you are planning not only to upload once, but to maintain
      that site, I would rather prefer a synchronization tool. Rsync over ssh
      e.g. would be my choice. You'd do the changes locally and sync than,
      just transmitting the changes.

      All these solutions require you to have shell access to your webspace.

      CU Lars.
    • Jeffrey Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 30, 2008
        never mind, I got it now :-)

        I'll send the link tomorrow to this huge pano :)

        Jeffrey

        On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm uploading a few tens of thousands of tiles for an hdview image.
        > Obviously it should be archived before uploading. But what format, and how
        > do i unarchive it? e.g. should i use .rar or .zip ?
        >
        > then what program do i need for command line unzipping? winscp, or...?
        >
        > totally clueless :)
        >
        > Jeffrey
        >

        > Jeffrey Martin
        > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      • Jeffrey Martin
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 30, 2008
          yes, the last one was 150,000 files. filezilla actually did succeed.
          but it took 48 hours, instead of the zipped 1gb which would have taken
          about 1 hour. So it's time to stop being so silly :)

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 30, 2008
            Quoting Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...>:

            > yes, the last one was 150,000 files. filezilla actually did succeed.
            > but it took 48 hours, instead of the zipped 1gb which would have taken
            > about 1 hour. So it's time to stop being so silly :)

            yes, that is a long time ;-)

            regards
            mick

            > > Re: uplading hdview format, zip or rar, or something else?
            > >
            > > Posted by: "crane@..." crane@... m_c_r_a_n_e
            > >
            > > Filezilla will upload the lots of tiny files where other FTP clients fail.

          • bohonus
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 30, 2008
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@...> wrote:

              > First, use tar, not zip. You do not want to compress, but archive the
              > files into one large file.

              Yes, use tar.

              Additionally, you can split the output file into manageable smaller chunks with tar in case
              your ftp client has problems continuing an upload of a large file where it left off if the
              connection is dropped.