Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Is there anything Ptgui can do that panotools cant?

Expand Messages
  • Garrett Unglaub
    Or is it really only a gui like the name says?
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 27, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Or is it really only a gui like the name says?
    • Erik Krause
      ... It started as a mere GUI several years ago. And even this was a big improvement, since picking control points manually in a standard image editor is
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Garrett Unglaub wrote:
        > Or is it really only a gui like the name says?

        It started as a mere GUI several years ago. And even this was a big
        improvement, since picking control points manually in a standard image
        editor is intimidatingly painful. Since this very beginnings many extras
        where added, like a pano editor, a crop tool, a control point generator,
        new output formats and many small improvements. Now it even runs without
        panotools, with own optimizer, own stitcher and own blender. The Pro
        version features HDR panorama generation and tonemapping.

        But the open source community hasn't been idle either. New hugin has
        almost the same features: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

        --
        Erik Krause
        http://www.erik-krause.de
      • Bruno Postle
        ... ..and more to come real soon, hopefully we will have another release out with some great new features in a couple of months. Now that we have both Windows
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          On Thu 30-Oct-2008 at 18:18 +0100, Erik Krause wrote:
          >
          >But the open source community hasn't been idle either. New hugin has
          >almost the same features: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

          ..and more to come real soon, hopefully we will have another release
          out with some great new features in a couple of months.

          Now that we have both Windows .exe and OS X .dmg installers for the
          current hugin release, I'll post the 0.7.0 announcement.

          --
          Bruno
        • Garrett Unglaub
          interesting I will be sure to check it out ... either. New hugin has ... http://hugin.sourceforge.net/ ... have another release ... months. ... .dmg installers
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            interesting I will be sure to check it out



            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bruno
            Postle <bruno@...> wrote:
            >
            > On Thu 30-Oct-2008 at 18:18 +0100, Erik Krause
            wrote:


            > >
            > >But the open source community hasn't been idle
            either. New hugin has
            > >almost the same features:
            http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
            >
            > ..and more to come real soon, hopefully we will
            have another release
            > out with some great new features in a couple of
            months.
            >
            > Now that we have both Windows .exe and OS X
            .dmg installers for the
            > current hugin release, I'll post the 0.7.0
            announcement.
            >
            > --
            > Bruno
            >
          • Jeffrey Martin
            ... This is a GREAT example of competition between 2 programs, one open source and one commerical. http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tech/ For example, the
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 31, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              On Thu 30-Oct-2008 at 18:18 +0100, Erik Krause wrote:
              >
              >But the open source community hasn't been idle either. New hugin has
              >almost the same features: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

              This is a GREAT example of competition between 2 programs, one open source
              and one commerical.

              http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tech/
              For example, the vignetting correction in ptgui was inspired by hugin, which
              for one of the test images used an image (ahem ;-) I shot from Luca Vascon's
              window, using his wonderful (but horribly vignetting) yashica 300 5.6 lens.
              Joost was so impressed by this that he implemented a similar functionality
              in PTGui.

              So without the free and open source Hugin, which may not be quite as
              polished or easy to use as PTGui in some respects, there might not be some
              of the incredibly useful features available in PTGui.

              Not to mention enblend and enfuse which have made all of our lives easier.

              So, hooray for all open source software. And cheers to Pablo, Bruno, the
              rest of the Hugin team, for all their crazy ideas :-) And cheers to Joost
              for keeping up, and making it all extremely usable (and thus profitable).

              :-)


              Jeffrey Martin
              www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
              tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Erik Krause
              ... Oh, it is the very same functionality indeed. Based on a paper by Pablo d Angelo - http://biecoll.ub.uni-bielefeld.de/volltexte/2007/101/ Fortunately
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 31, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                Jeffrey Martin wrote:
                > For example, the vignetting correction in ptgui was inspired by hugin, which
                > for one of the test images used an image (ahem ;-) I shot from Luca Vascon's
                > window, using his wonderful (but horribly vignetting) yashica 300 5.6 lens.
                > Joost was so impressed by this that he implemented a similar functionality
                > in PTGui.

                Oh, it is the very same functionality indeed. Based on a paper by Pablo
                d'Angelo -> http://biecoll.ub.uni-bielefeld.de/volltexte/2007/101/
                Fortunately Joost gives credits in the about box. ;-)

                --
                Erik Krause
                http://www.erik-krause.de
              • Garrett Unglaub
                The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier, so instead of 24 @ 1.6 i get 0@1.6 and i
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does not
                  seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier, so instead of 24 @ 1.6
                  i get 0@1.6 and i end up with a dough nut shaped picture instead of a
                  pano :-/


                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>
                  wrote:
                  >
                  > On Thu 30-Oct-2008 at 18:18 +0100, Erik Krause wrote:
                  > >
                  > >But the open source community hasn't been idle either. New hugin has
                  > >almost the same features: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
                  >
                  > This is a GREAT example of competition between 2 programs, one open
                  source
                  > and one commerical.
                  >
                  > http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tech/
                  > For example, the vignetting correction in ptgui was inspired by
                  hugin, which
                  > for one of the test images used an image (ahem ;-) I shot from Luca
                  Vascon's
                  > window, using his wonderful (but horribly vignetting) yashica 300
                  5.6 lens.
                  > Joost was so impressed by this that he implemented a similar
                  functionality
                  > in PTGui.
                  >
                  > So without the free and open source Hugin, which may not be quite as
                  > polished or easy to use as PTGui in some respects, there might not
                  be some
                  > of the incredibly useful features available in PTGui.
                  >
                  > Not to mention enblend and enfuse which have made all of our lives
                  easier.
                  >
                  > So, hooray for all open source software. And cheers to Pablo, Bruno, the
                  > rest of the Hugin team, for all their crazy ideas :-) And cheers to
                  Joost
                  > for keeping up, and making it all extremely usable (and thus
                  profitable).
                  >
                  > :-)
                  >
                  >
                  > Jeffrey Martin
                  > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
                  > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                • Bruno Postle
                  ... Can you send me a .pto project that shows this problem? Internally hugin does the usual panotools thing of working entirely with the horizontal angle of
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Mon 03-Nov-2008 at 06:30 -0000, Garrett Unglaub wrote:
                    >The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does not
                    >seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier, so instead of 24 @ 1.6
                    >i get 0@1.6 and i end up with a dough nut shaped picture instead of a
                    >pano :-/

                    Can you send me a .pto project that shows this problem?

                    Internally hugin does the usual panotools thing of working entirely
                    with the horizontal angle of view, it also keeps a record of the
                    sensor size multiplier and calculates to and from focal length when
                    required.

                    --
                    Bruno
                  • yuval_levy
                    ... - do you get a dialog asking to enter them? - what camera make/model do you have? - do you feed processed images, or directly out of camera? - what is the
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...> wrote:
                      > The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
                      > not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier

                      - do you get a dialog asking to enter them?
                      - what camera make/model do you have?
                      - do you feed processed images, or directly out of camera?
                      - what is the locale set on your computer (regional language setting)?
                      is the decimal point a comma or a dot?
                      - what system is it? Win/Lin/Mac? and what flavor of it?

                      there are known issues with image files where the exif metadata is not
                      complete, either because one of the pre-processing tool has omitted to
                      copy them (e.g. using "save for web" in Adobe Photoshop will strip all
                      the unnecessary weight); or because the camera manufacturer uses some
                      esoteric own exif tag. This second case is what happens with many
                      Olympus cameras. I have found a potential solution and will implement
                      it in the near future.

                      If you can put up two of your input images for download somewhere, I
                      can have a look and try to identify what causes the unexpected
                      behavior you are experiencing.

                      It may take a while though, my free time use has radically changed,
                      and I've gone from short to long focal distance, and from stills to
                      movies:
                      <http://panospace.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/the-most-beautiful-smile-in-the-world/>

                      :-)
                      Yuv
                    • Ken Warner
                      Maybe there should be an option for hugin to not use exif data and to only use the values specified by the user.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Maybe there should be an option for hugin
                        to not use exif data and to only use the
                        values specified by the user.


                        >>The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
                        >>not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier
                        >
                      • Garrett Unglaub
                        ... ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem. it gives me the option to enter it, but
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Maybe there should be an option for hugin
                          > to not use exif data and to only use the
                          > values specified by the user.
                          >
                          >
                          > >>The only thing i seem to have a problem with in hugin is, it does
                          > >>not seem to want to save my focal mm or multiplier
                          > >
                          >



                          ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                          yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.

                          it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

                          it says i can open a lens file but i dont know how to create one.

                          the images are converted from raw so there is no exif
                        • Erik Krause
                          ... Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data in the result files? Even dcraw (8.88) does! However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw file to
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11 schrieb Garrett Unglaub:

                            > the images are converted from raw so there is no exif

                            Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data in the result files?
                            Even dcraw (8.88) does!

                            However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw file to result file.

                            best regards
                            --
                            Erik Krause
                            Offenburger Str. 33
                            79108 Freiburg
                          • Bruno Postle
                            ... I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually. ... I d really like to see a .pto
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                            • 0 Attachment
                              On Mon 03-Nov-2008 at 19:11 -0000, Garrett Unglaub wrote:

                              >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                              >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.

                              I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                              EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.

                              >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

                              I'd really like to see a .pto project that behaves like this.

                              >it says i can open a lens file but i dont know how to create one.

                              You can 'Save lens...' on the 'Camera and Lens' tab.

                              --
                              Bruno
                            • Erik Krause
                              ... I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are shot with all
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:

                                > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                                > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
                                >
                                > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                                > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
                                >
                                > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.

                                I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
                                the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
                                shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...

                                best regards
                                --
                                Erik Krause
                                Offenburger Str. 33
                                79108 Freiburg
                              • Garrett Unglaub
                                So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data then? I m going to try a set of images with exif and let you know how it goes. Otherwise I ll upload some
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
                                  then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
                                  let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
                                  pictures tomorrow


                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik
                                  Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11
                                  schrieb Garrett Unglaub:
                                  >
                                  > > the images are converted from raw so there is
                                  no exif
                                  >
                                  > Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data
                                  in the result files?
                                  > Even dcraw (8.88) does!
                                  >
                                  > However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw
                                  file to result file.
                                  >
                                  > best regards
                                  > --
                                  > Erik Krause
                                  > Offenburger Str. 33
                                  > 79108 Freiburg
                                  >
                                • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com
                                  If you have your own EXIF information, you can likewise use exiftool to add them to any image you like. Though I am not sure why you wouldn t want the EXIF
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    If you have your own EXIF information, you can likewise use exiftool to add
                                    them to any image you like.

                                    Though I am not sure why you wouldn't want the EXIF info from your original
                                    raw to be copied to your converted image.(or why your raw converter is not
                                    doing that anyway. Most do.)
                                    Unless you are cropping your image, then you may want to change some of the
                                    EXIF information.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Darren.

                                    )-----Original Message-----
                                    )From: Garrett Unglaub
                                    )
                                    )So there just isnt a way to use your own exif data
                                    )then? I'm going to try a set of images with exif and
                                    )let you know how it goes. Otherwise I'll upload some
                                    )pictures tomorrow
                                    )
                                    )
                                    )--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik
                                    )Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                                    )>
                                    )> Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 19:11
                                    )schrieb Garrett Unglaub:
                                    )>
                                    )> > the images are converted from raw so there is
                                    )no exif
                                    )>
                                    )> Which raw converter does not write the EXIF data
                                    )in the result files?
                                    )> Even dcraw (8.88) does!
                                    )>
                                    )> However, use exiftool to copy EXIF data from raw
                                    )file to result file.
                                    )>
                                    )> best regards
                                    )> --
                                    )> Erik Krause
                                    )> Offenburger Str. 33
                                    )> 79108 Freiburg
                                    )>
                                    )
                                  • Garrett Unglaub
                                    Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui. I changed my lens data to 24mm 1.6x
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 3, 2008
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                                      shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

                                      I changed my lens data to 24mm 1.6x multiplier rectilinear and i end
                                      up with this http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t1.jpg or
                                      http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/t2.jpg



                                      I am trying to get it to look like this
                                      http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/backyard.html


                                      i get that problem in ptgui if i have a focal length that is higher
                                      than it should be


                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Am Monday, November 03, 2008 um 22:00 schrieb Bruno Postle:
                                      >
                                      > > >ah i see, so if there is no exif data available, you cant enter it in
                                      > > >yourself? in ptgui i hadnt had that problem.
                                      > >
                                      > > I shoot with a manual lens and hugin has no problem with missing
                                      > > EXIF data, I just enter the angle of view manually.
                                      > >
                                      > > >it gives me the option to enter it, but then does not keep my data.
                                      >
                                      > I think he refers to the slightly annoying behaviour of hugin to aks
                                      > the lens information for any single image again. Most panoramas are
                                      > shot with all images the same lens so this should be optional...
                                      >
                                      > best regards
                                      > --
                                      > Erik Krause
                                      > Offenburger Str. 33
                                      > 79108 Freiburg
                                      >
                                    • John Houghton
                                      ... Maybe you are relying too much on automatic features. These don t always work perfectly - neither in Hugin nor in PTGui. Have you checked the control
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...>
                                        wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                                        > shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.

                                        Maybe you are relying too much on automatic features. These don't
                                        always work perfectly - neither in Hugin nor in PTGui. Have you
                                        checked the control point assignments, particularly those between
                                        images in the neighborhood of the obvious discontinuities of the
                                        output image? With some intelligent manual intervention, you can
                                        easily get more-or-less identical results from both PTGui and Hugin.

                                        As it's a 360 degree panorama, the hfov of the lens will be evaluated
                                        accurately by the optimizer, provided you have a good spread of
                                        control points. The optimizer gives a lot of control over what does
                                        and doesn't get changed in the optimization if you choose to use it.
                                        It can often help if you initialize the yaw values of the images to
                                        their approximate known values. (In PTGui, use the Fill Yaw button on
                                        the Image Parameters tab to automatically calculate the values).

                                        While your PTGui result is quite good, it could do with levelling to
                                        get the vertical features properly upright. (Don't overlook the
                                        cloud reflections in the lake, which should also be vertically
                                        aligned). If you aren't familiar with using t1 (vertical line)
                                        control points, I suggest you take a look at this tutorial:

                                        http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm

                                        John
                                      • Garrett Unglaub
                                        Thank you I will check it out
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          Thank you I will check it out



                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Well, the actual problem is the fact that i keep getting a donut
                                          > > shaped pano in hugin with the same settings as ptgui.
                                          >
                                          > Maybe you are relying too much on automatic features. These don't
                                          > always work perfectly - neither in Hugin nor in PTGui. Have you
                                          > checked the control point assignments, particularly those between
                                          > images in the neighborhood of the obvious discontinuities of the
                                          > output image? With some intelligent manual intervention, you can
                                          > easily get more-or-less identical results from both PTGui and Hugin.
                                          >
                                          > As it's a 360 degree panorama, the hfov of the lens will be evaluated
                                          > accurately by the optimizer, provided you have a good spread of
                                          > control points. The optimizer gives a lot of control over what does
                                          > and doesn't get changed in the optimization if you choose to use it.
                                          > It can often help if you initialize the yaw values of the images to
                                          > their approximate known values. (In PTGui, use the Fill Yaw button on
                                          > the Image Parameters tab to automatically calculate the values).
                                          >
                                          > While your PTGui result is quite good, it could do with levelling to
                                          > get the vertical features properly upright. (Don't overlook the
                                          > cloud reflections in the lake, which should also be vertically
                                          > aligned). If you aren't familiar with using t1 (vertical line)
                                          > control points, I suggest you take a look at this tutorial:
                                          >
                                          > http://www.johnhpanos.com/levtut.htm
                                          >
                                          > John
                                          >
                                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.