Creating "Flat" Flash Panos without distortion

  • Garrett Unglaub
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 23, 2008
      Im pretty new to this whole thing, but most of the online viewers I've
      seen map the images on cylinders and it seems like they're mostly for
      360x360 or 360x180 panos taken with fisheye or atleast mapped for full
      views.

      What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.

      the java alternative would be panoscrl, unfortunately that is quite
      old and I cannot find it anywhere, and i have no idea what the license
      for that applet is.

      So i was wondering if there is anything which could create something
      like this: http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/dad.html

      but looping like pano2vr creates.

      here is another example

      http://www.in360.com/tours/tour.php?MLS=tu8911&enlarge=1

      I really appreciate it

      -Garrett
    • Willy Kaemena
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 26, 2008
        I personally hate these moving flat pictures and prefer an interactive
        panorama cylindrical or cubic.

        Willy Kaemena

        http://bremen.360cities.net/
        http://syria.360cities.net/
        http://lisbon.360cities.net/

        On Oct 24, 2008, at 0:08, Garrett Unglaub wrote:

        > Im pretty new to this whole thing, but most of the online viewers I've
        > seen map the images on cylinders and it seems like they're mostly for
        > 360x360 or 360x180 panos taken with fisheye or atleast mapped for full
        > views.
        >
        > What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.
        >
        > the java alternative would be panoscrl, unfortunately that is quite
        > old and I cannot find it anywhere, and i have no idea what the license
        > for that applet is.
        >
        > So i was wondering if there is anything which could create something
        > like this: http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/dad.html
        >
        > but looping like pano2vr creates.
        >
        > here is another example
        >
        > http://www.in360.com/tours/tour.php?MLS=tu8911&enlarge=1
        >
        > I really appreciate it
        >
        > -Garrett

        Willy Kaemena

        http://bremen.360cities.net/
        http://syria.360cities.net/
        http://lisbon.360cities.net/

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 26, 2008
          On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:55 PM, Willy Kaemena <panokaemena@...> wrote:

          > I personally hate these moving flat pictures and prefer an interactive
          > panorama cylindrical or cubic.

          me too
          they're so boring ...

          AYRTON

          > Willy Kaemena
          >
          > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
          > http://bremen.360cities.net/
          > http://syria.360cities.net/
          > http://lisbon.360cities.net/
          >
          > On Oct 24, 2008, at 0:08, Garrett Unglaub wrote:
          >
          > > Im pretty new to this whole thing, but most of the online viewers I've
          > > seen map the images on cylinders and it seems like they're mostly for
          > > 360x360 or 360x180 panos taken with fisheye or atleast mapped for full
          > > views.
          > >
          > > What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.
          > >
          > > the java alternative would be panoscrl, unfortunately that is quite
          > > old and I cannot find it anywhere, and i have no idea what the license
          > > for that applet is.
          > >
          > > So i was wondering if there is anything which could create something
          > > like this: http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/dad.html
          > >
          > > but looping like pano2vr creates.
          > >
          > > here is another example
          > >
          > > http://www.in360.com/tours/tour.php?MLS=tu8911&enlarge=1
          > >
          > > I really appreciate it
          > >
          > > -Garrett

          > Willy Kaemena
          >
          > http://homepage.mac.com/wkaemena/FSPanos/Menu268.html
          > http://bremen.360cities.net/
          > http://syria.360cities.net/
          > http://lisbon.360cities.net/

          ------------
          | A Y R |
          | T O N |
          ------------

          + 55 21 9982 6313

          http://ayrton360.com
          http://rio.360cities.net
          http://vrfolio.com
          http://ayrton.com

        • Terry Thrift
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 26, 2008
            Garrett:

            Did you shoot and stitch the image on the ~calculatrix/dad.html page?
            If so what software, camera and lens did you use for it?

            You might be able to make some really nice panos with what you already
            have.

            At first, practice helps more than equipment.
            It also helps us decide what tool changes might be of the most help to
            try next.

            I know I'm still trying to find time to practice and improve.

            Please don't be intimidated by viewers that use cylindrical and/or
            spherical panos.
            With the software now available it has become pretty easy to stitch
            images into whatever kind of pano you need.

            Have you tried the trial version of pano2vr to see if you can get
            result to scroll the way you want?

            -Terry Thrift-

            On Oct 23, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Garrett Unglaub wrote:

            > Im pretty new to this whole thing, but most of the online viewers I've
            > seen map the images on cylinders and it seems like they're mostly for
            > 360x360 or 360x180 panos taken with fisheye or atleast mapped for full
            > views.
            >
            > What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.
            >
            > the java alternative would be panoscrl, unfortunately that is quite
            > old and I cannot find it anywhere, and i have no idea what the license
            > for that applet is.
            >
            > So i was wondering if there is anything which could create something
            > like this: http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/dad.html
            >
            > but looping like pano2vr creates.
            >
            > here is another example
            >
            > http://www.in360.com/tours/tour.php?MLS=tu8911&enlarge=1
            >

            > I really appreciate it
            >
            > -Garrett
            >

            > ------------------------------------

          • Garrett Unglaub
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 26, 2008
              Yes I shot, stitched and coded the flash.

              Ive tried pano2vr but I'd rather understand the code myself I guess
              since the concept seems simple, and if I was going to spend 100
              dollars I'd probably buy krpano.

              To the people who said they dont like the noninteractive panos, some
              of the older people I'm making these for complained about feeling kind
              of sick from them, so theyre a no go.
            • Garrett Unglaub
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 26, 2008
                sorry, forgot to list the software

                Camera d100, lens af nikkor 24-50mm, software ptgui, to make it
                scroll, just code in flash, but i dont know how to make it loop
                instead of go white

                Id like to learn the scripting functions of panotools too, Im getting
                there
              • Terry Thrift
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 26, 2008
                  Sounds like you have what you need to start.
                  And it looks like you are beginning to make flash wiggle.

                  If you would rather have the challenge of coding it all yourself
                  rather than just getting it working quickly, I can certainly understand.

                  I've never used flash, so I can be of no help with the specifics of
                  making it loop.
                  If the flash scroll function doesn't wrap back around to the beginning
                  for you,
                  then you might need to do that yourself.
                  Doing that efficiently may involve rendering ( twice while wrapping )
                  into an offscreen buffer, then showing the buffer.

                  In the coding that I have done, doing a good job of even simple user
                  interaction can be a lot more effort than I ever expected.
                  If someone has solved my problem, now I try to just use their solution.

                  If the old guys get dizzy from being able to tilt up or down so far,
                  the amount of tilt can be limited in many of the existing solutions.

                  After viewing a bunch of panos, I personally prefer being able to
                  directly control the view while inside immersive panos ( up/down,
                  right/left, in/out ).
                  But I certainly understand the need to please the customer.

                  -Terry-

                  On Oct 26, 2008, at 10:37 PM, Garrett Unglaub wrote:

                  > sorry, forgot to list the software
                  >

                  > Camera d100, lens af nikkor 24-50mm, software ptgui, to make it
                  > scroll, just code in flash, but i dont know how to make it loop
                  > instead of go white
                  >

                  > Id like to learn the scripting functions of panotools too, Im getting
                  > there
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------
                • Flemming V. Larsen
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 26, 2008
                    The headline panos on my webpage
                    http://fvlmedia.dk
                    are flat scroll made using DHTML (no plugin) - setup with timeline-animation
                    in Dreamweaver.
                    To make it loop I put two copies of the pano-picture two side by side
                    _______ _______
                    | pano | pano |

                    So that I can make it jump back to start (loop) when the center of the view
                    is at 360 degree without having half the view empty.
                    Guess you can do the same in flash.
                    With DHTML the copy of the picture don't take up more webspace (download
                    time) - don't know how that would apply for flash.
                    But if it double the size you might be able to only use the part of the
                    picture that are in the view where loop takes place
                    __ _______ __
                    R | L R | L

                    - Flemming
                  • Hans Nyberg
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...> wrote:
                      .
                      > > What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.

                      > but looping like pano2vr creates.
                      >
                      > here is another example
                      >
                      > http://www.in360.com/tours/tour.php?MLS=tu8911&enlarge=1

                      That one is actually Andrew Nemeths Java scroll applet.
                      Andrew is one of the masters in VR Photography.
                      His website is here http://www.nemeng.com/ but the applets he did many years ago are not
                      linked. Write him for info.
                      They are very easy to use but Java does not have quite as large penetration as Flash.

                      Hans
                    • Garrett Unglaub
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                        Hmm sounds like a lot of work. Im going to start playing around with
                        pano2vr a bit more i suppose and just limit the range like you said.
                        Ill also look at the wrap and buffer stuff.

                        Thankyou

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Terry Thrift <terry@...> wrote:

                        > Sounds like you have what you need to start.
                        > And it looks like you are beginning to make flash wiggle.
                        >
                        > If you would rather have the challenge of coding it all yourself
                        > rather than just getting it working quickly, I can certainly understand.
                        >
                        > I've never used flash, so I can be of no help with the specifics of
                        > making it loop.
                        > If the flash scroll function doesn't wrap back around to the beginning
                        > for you,
                        > then you might need to do that yourself.
                        > Doing that efficiently may involve rendering ( twice while wrapping )
                        > into an offscreen buffer, then showing the buffer.
                        >
                        > In the coding that I have done, doing a good job of even simple user
                        > interaction can be a lot more effort than I ever expected.
                        > If someone has solved my problem, now I try to just use their solution.
                        >
                        > If the old guys get dizzy from being able to tilt up or down so far,
                        > the amount of tilt can be limited in many of the existing solutions.
                        >
                        > After viewing a bunch of panos, I personally prefer being able to
                        > directly control the view while inside immersive panos ( up/down,
                        > right/left, in/out ).
                        > But I certainly understand the need to please the customer.
                        >
                        > -Terry-
                        >

                        > On Oct 26, 2008, at 10:37 PM, Garrett Unglaub wrote:
                        >
                        > > sorry, forgot to list the software
                        > >

                        > > Camera d100, lens af nikkor 24-50mm, software ptgui, to make it
                        > > scroll, just code in flash, but i dont know how to make it loop
                        > > instead of go white
                        > >

                        > > Id like to learn the scripting functions of panotools too, Im getting
                        > > there
                        > >

                        > > ------------------------------------

                      • Garrett Unglaub
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                          This is a good idea but i think youre right, it will probably double
                          the download time

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...> wrote:

                          > The headline panos on my webpage
                          > http://fvlmedia.dk
                          > are flat scroll made using DHTML (no plugin) - setup with
                          timeline-animation
                          > in Dreamweaver.
                          > To make it loop I put two copies of the pano-picture two side by side
                          > _______ _______
                          > | pano | pano |
                          >
                          > So that I can make it jump back to start (loop) when the center of
                          the view
                          > is at 360 degree without having half the view empty.
                          > Guess you can do the same in flash.
                          > With DHTML the copy of the picture don't take up more webspace
                          (download
                          > time) - don't know how that would apply for flash.
                          > But if it double the size you might be able to only use the part of the
                          > picture that are in the view where loop takes place
                          > __ _______ __
                          > R | L R | L
                          >

                          > - Flemming

                        • Garrett Unglaub
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                            Yes, I like his applet, its just very slow compared to flash, maybe he
                            could give me some pointers though, although im sure he's busy

                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@> wrote:
                            > .
                            > > > What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.
                            >
                            > > but looping like pano2vr creates.
                            > >
                            > > here is another example
                            > >
                            > > http://www.in360.com/tours/tour.php?MLS=tu8911&enlarge=1
                            >
                            > That one is actually Andrew Nemeths Java scroll applet.
                            > Andrew is one of the masters in VR Photography.
                            > His website is here http://www.nemeng.com/ but the applets he did
                            many years ago are not
                            > linked. Write him for info.
                            > They are very easy to use but Java does not have quite as large
                            penetration as Flash.

                            > Hans

                          • Jeffrey Martin
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                              java? flash???

                              jeeez!! shoot a rabbit with an elephant gun (Or however the saying goes)

                              you can do it with javascript and nothing more.

                              follow Flemming Larsen's advice. he knows what he's talking about.

                              :-)

                              Jeffrey Martin
                              tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                            • Garrett Unglaub
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                                lol I wanted some user interaction though, and his examples didnt have
                                any as far as I can see.

                                Here's what I made with Pano2vr

                                Im semihappy with it, and it isnt huge which is nice.

                                http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/backyard.html

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@...>

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                                  Garrett:

                                  Your new version is better behaved than your first try.

                                  Fleming's approach does have some user interaction.
                                  I found 2 controls in the lower right corner of the picture.
                                  The scrolling stops with one button and starts again with the other.

                                  -Terry-

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                                    But you cant drag it with the mouse right?

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                                      not that i was able to find.
                                      Pretty neat though.

                                      -Terry-

                                      On Oct 27, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Garrett Unglaub wrote:

                                      > But you cant drag it with the mouse right?
                                      >

                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Terry Thrift <terry@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> Garrett:
                                      >>
                                      >> Your new version is better behaved than your first try.
                                      >>
                                      >> Fleming's approach does have some user interaction.
                                      >> I found 2 controls in the lower right corner of the picture.
                                      >> The scrolling stops with one button and starts again with the other.
                                      >>
                                      >> -Terry-
                                      >>

                                      >> On Oct 27, 2008, at 4:33 PM, Garrett Unglaub wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> lol I wanted some user interaction though, and his examples didnt
                                      >>> have
                                      >>> any as far as I can see.
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Here's what I made with Pano2vr
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Im semihappy with it, and it isnt huge which is nice.
                                      >>>
                                      >>> http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/backyard.html
                                      >>>

                                      >>> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin" <360cities@>

                                    • tkrajina
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 27, 2008
                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...> wrote:
                                        [...]
                                        > What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.
                                        [...]

                                        Hi Garrett,

                                        Just a question, why you need *flash* panos. Flash is very good
                                        for spherical images, but for non-distorted equirectangular panos
                                        even plain old Javascript hould be OK.

                                        Look here, for an experiment I made:
                                        http://www.panoye.com/panorama.1059-lovrec-ii.html

                                        It is in Javascript (but there is a Flash version too, just click
                                        on the red flash icon on the right).

                                        The problem with a player like this is that it works good only for
                                        panoramas where the vertical angle (height) is not big. Because
                                        near the center of the pano the distortions are smaller.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Tomo Krajina
                                      • Thomas Krueger
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 28, 2008
                                          Here is a link to Spinner-Scripts (website from 2002), another simple
                                          solution:
                                          http://www.spinner-scripts.com/docs/spinner-pano.html

                                          -----
                                          Greetings, Thomas - http://www.thomaskrueger.eu thomaskrueger.eu
                                        • Garrett Unglaub
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 28, 2008
                                            Thankyou to both of you, I am just a noob who was looking to try new
                                            things, but it seems that for noninteractive panos java is pretty easy.

                                            Soon I hope to get into some of the krpano stuff :)

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 28, 2008
                                              Forgive me if Im wrong, but I cant use this on another site right? For
                                              example I cant put that script on the mls, only on his site?

                                              Its neat though, I like it.

                                              Im looking to make something similar to that site but dealing with
                                              national parks to try to increase conservation efforts and donations

                                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "tkrajina" <tkrajina@...> wrote:

                                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@> wrote:
                                              > [...]
                                              > > What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.
                                              > [...]
                                              >
                                              > Hi Garrett,
                                              >
                                              > Just a question, why you need *flash* panos. Flash is very good
                                              > for spherical images, but for non-distorted equirectangular panos
                                              > even plain old Javascript hould be OK.
                                              >
                                              > Look here, for an experiment I made:
                                              > http://www.panoye.com/panorama.1059-lovrec-ii.html
                                              >
                                              > It is in Javascript (but there is a Flash version too, just click
                                              > on the red flash icon on the right).
                                              >
                                              > The problem with a player like this is that it works good only for
                                              > panoramas where the vertical angle (height) is not big. Because
                                              > near the center of the pano the distortions are smaller.
                                              >
                                              > Cheers,
                                              > Tomo Krajina

                                            • Keith Martin
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                Sometime around 27/10/08 (at 07:44 +0100) Flemming V. Larsen said:

                                                >With DHTML the copy of the picture don't take up more webspace (download
                                                >time) - don't know how that would apply for flash.

                                                You need to store it as a symbol in your document's library and use
                                                instances of the image from there.

                                                (BTW, the efficiency you mention first isn't specifically something
                                                to do with 'DHTML', just regular browser caching of the image.)

                                              • Yiorgos Teo
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 30, 2008
                                                  Here's a nice, very cheap ($5) flat pano viewer in flash:

                                                  http://www.flashden.net/item/panoramic-image-viewer-xml/5992

                                                  Smooth and very easy to setup.

                                                  Regards,

                                                  Yiorgos

                                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Unglaub" <cruc10@...> wrote:

                                                  > Im pretty new to this whole thing, but most of the online viewers I've
                                                  > seen map the images on cylinders and it seems like they're mostly for
                                                  > 360x360 or 360x180 panos taken with fisheye or atleast mapped for full
                                                  > views.
                                                  >
                                                  > What I'd like to create is a simple panning flash that loops.
                                                  >
                                                  > the java alternative would be panoscrl, unfortunately that is quite
                                                  > old and I cannot find it anywhere, and i have no idea what the license
                                                  > for that applet is.
                                                  >
                                                  > So i was wondering if there is anything which could create something
                                                  > like this: http://home.comcast.net/~calculatrix/dad.html
                                                  >
                                                  > but looping like pano2vr creates.
                                                  >
                                                  > here is another example
                                                  >
                                                  > http://www.in360.com/tours/tour.php?MLS=tu8911&enlarge=1
                                                  >

                                                  > I really appreciate it
                                                  >
                                                  > -Garrett

                                                • Garrett Unglaub
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 30, 2008
                                                    the only problem with that is it doesnt seem to loop :-/